PDA

View Full Version : Finding rules applicable to foreign flight

mm_flynn
22nd Apr 2008, 07:09
When I fly outside the UK I read the AIP ENR and GEN sections of each country I am transiting through. However, reading some recent threads which bandy about UK rules, I tried to find these in the AIP. I struggled to find for instance.

1 - IFR single engine departure minimum (claimed to be 1800 m in the thread)
2 - The approach ban
3 - The requirement for dual pilot (or autopilot/FD) on approaches with RVR < 800m (I think)

Have I just not looked carefully enough? If these are not in the AIP, how to foreigner's find out about them?

bookworm
22nd Apr 2008, 07:23
You need to look at AD 1.1.

1 - IFR single engine departure minimum (claimed to be 1800 m in the thread)

AD 1.1.2 4.1

2 - The approach ban

AD 1.1.2 8 (and various ANO articles)

3 - The requirement for dual pilot (or autopilot/FD) on approaches with RVR < 800m (I think)

AD 1.1.2 4.4

mm_flynn
22nd Apr 2008, 11:04
Thank you,

I suspect I have not been sufficiently diligent in reading the AD sections of various country's AIPs - Although the UK version of 1.1 is much bigger with quite specific operational regulation compared with the LF,LI,EB versions - which may have contributed my question.

bookworm
22nd Apr 2008, 11:58
Yes, your point is well made. There's little consistency in where such regulatory material is put in the AIP. Frankly, I don't think "Aerodrome Availability" is a very good clue to where to find aerodrome operating minima. I'd expect to find such stuff in ENR 1.5 "Holding, Approach and Departure Procedures".

Time Traveller
22nd Apr 2008, 17:16
I havent heard of 1800m for departure before - why would it need to be more than double the ILS minimum?

800m is correct though for a manual approach.

mm_flynn
22nd Apr 2008, 18:44
It is a requirement for single engine aircraft engaged in PT to maximise the probability of successful landing after a power failure. There is a similar requirement that the forecast conditions at destination and alternate for single engine PT ops.

DFC
22nd Apr 2008, 20:00
Yes, your point is well made. There's little consistency in where such regulatory material is put in the AIP

The simplest way to stay legal is to know the ICAO standards ( or at least be able to refer to them) and then read GEN 1.7 of the relevant AIP before you go.

Since GEN 1.7 will cover all differences from ICAO requirements you will get the licensing, rules of the air, charts, met, operations, r/t, aerodrome standards and so on in one quick to find place.

Don't forget that when flying for example a G reg aircraft then, you have to follow UK rules when they are more restrictive than those in the area in which you are flying.

Regards,

DFC

mm_flynn
22nd Apr 2008, 20:52
Curiously I couldn't find the three specific items I mentioned at the start in Gen 1.7. I particularly looked through Annex 2 and Annex 6 differences and tried a search on 1000 (approach ban) and 800 (single pilot RVR) as well. It was an earlier failed search in this section that prompted my question - so helpfully answered by Bookworm.