PDA

View Full Version : Minimum fuel definition

empati
21st Apr 2008, 20:24
What is the definition of "minimum fuel" in the US, and what actions does the ATC take? Is there an "emergency fuel" call as well? Is "minimum fuel" only defined in the US? JAA?:8

Understand CO crews have been using these calls lately, on trans atlantic flights.. :ooh:

Empati

av8boy
21st Apr 2008, 21:23
The 7110.65 is your friend...

2-1-8. MINIMUM FUEL
If an aircraft declares a state of “minimum fuel,”
inform any facility to whom control jurisdiction is
transferred of the minimum fuel problem and be alert
for any occurrence which might delay the aircraft
enroute.

NOTE
Use of the term “minimum fuel” indicates recognition by
a pilot that his/her fuel supply has reached a state where,
upon reaching destination, he/she cannot accept any undue
delay. This is not an emergency situation but merely an
advisory that indicates an emergency situation is possible
should any undue delay occur. A minimum fuel advisory
does not imply a need for traffic priority. Common sense
and good judgment will determine the extent of assistance
to be given in minimum fuel situations. If, at any time, the
remaining usable fuel supply suggests the need for traffic
priority to ensure a safe landing, the pilot should declare
an emergency and report fuel remaining in minutes

Bri85
21st Apr 2008, 21:35
AV8boy great respond, Now declaring Emergency Fuel will give you priority overall...

coz96
22nd Apr 2008, 00:47
av8boy,this is good to know. I was never taught that min fuel was a "problem", just that we were at minimum fuel and could not accept any delays (meaning right exactly at 45 min reserve). In fact I have heard that a pilot call minimum fuel when calling Ground for taxi clearance if they are carrying only minimum fuel.

(Edit: USA)

Adamastor
22nd Apr 2008, 02:41
Very interesting. In Australia a declaration of "minimum fuel" is considered an emergency and indicates that the pilot requires priority for landing. We also have an "emergency fuel" call for when they're not getting enough priority!

empati
22nd Apr 2008, 23:55
Thank you! From what I understand, min fuel call is US only. Why not make it universal? Why don't ICAO adapt to this procedure? I remember that this call was designed after the Avianca accident. Good to know for crews flying to the US.

Empati:ok:

Adamastor
23rd Apr 2008, 05:25
From what I understand, min fuel call is US only.

Am I speaking Swahili here?!

In Australia a declaration of "minimum fuel" is considered an emergency...

CharlieJuliet
23rd Apr 2008, 09:20
Jambo Bwana, habari gani?

Dream Land
23rd Apr 2008, 09:31
Very interesting. In Australia a declaration of "minimum fuel" is considered an emergency and indicates that the pilot requires priority for landing. We also have an "emergency fuel" call for when they're not getting enough priority!Makes perfect sense. :rolleyes:

letMfly
23rd Apr 2008, 11:02
Very interesting. In Australia a declaration of "minimum fuel" is considered an emergency and indicates that the pilot requires priority for landing. We also have an "emergency fuel" call for when they're not getting enough priority!
If a "minimum fuel" call is considered an emergency in Oz, what category of emergency does the aerodrome controller call? Is it a Local Standby (or Alert) or a Full Emergency? Getting all the emergency vehicles in the area rushing to the airport for what is basically a priority routing call would seem to be a bit of overkill. :confused:

topdrop
23rd Apr 2008, 12:16
In Oz, Minimum fuel and Emergency fuel response are defined for MIL aircraft only.
Civil flight have such varying definitions of minimum fuel call that you should ascertain the exact situation. Are you declaring an emergency is a good starting point.

Frink
23rd Apr 2008, 12:27
Fiti sana, CJ! ;)

Getting all the emergency vehicles in the area rushing to the airport for what is basically a priority routing call would seem to be a bit of overkill.

Agreed, LetMFly. That's why Local Standby would probably be the maximum response, and no AEP activation would be even more common.

Quokka
23rd Apr 2008, 13:08
topdrop... agree.

"Are you declaring a fuel emergency?"... followed by... "Advise endurance".

If you ask the first question, you're covered if something goes wrong. If you ask the second question, nothing will go wrong.