PDA

View Full Version : Planning on visiting Redhill tomorrow

Mikehotel152
21st Apr 2008, 10:41
The airfield's website is really good and has pretty circuit diagrams, but I'm not quite sure from the info whether an overhead join is normal practice.

I'd be approaching from the East. Any advice on arriving/joining? The forecast would suggest an easterly or north-easterly wind.

Any advice much appreciated :)

stoneyrosetreered
21st Apr 2008, 11:20
Make sure you give Biggin a call, even if you keep clear of the ATZ, the motorway junction to the north is always congested and kenley is active during most daylight hours (Biggin will be able to tell you). Have fun!

mark147
21st Apr 2008, 13:15
As a Redhill regular, I wouldn't advise calling Biggin if you're staying outside the M25. Stick with Farnborough. You won't find much Biggin traffic below the Gatwick 1500' shelf, which is where you're likely to be approaching Redhill from the East. You won't get near Kenley from that direction either.

Just call Redhill when you're in the Bough Beech reservoir, Edenbridge, Oxted, Sevenoaks area and they'll ask you to report at either Godstone Station (for 36 or 26) or Godstone (for 08 or 18).

Overhead joins are rare and likely only if a number are inbound at the same time. However, it's a very non-standard overhead join as you'll have read on the web site.

Normal joining instructions from Godstone for 08 would be to join downwind. From Godstone Station for 26 you'll normally be cleared straight in. If you get 36 it'll normally be a base-leg join from that direction but be warned you need a very tight base leg to keep you out of the Gatwick zone.

Mark

stoneyrosetreered
21st Apr 2008, 13:48
Ah forgot about the LLARS :ugh:

Mikehotel152
21st Apr 2008, 19:16
Thanks Mark and Stoneyrosetreered. :ok:

chevvron
21st Apr 2008, 19:22
If you're coming from Suffolk, call Farnborough on 132.8 first then we'll transfer you to 123.225 as you approach the Thames.
Only do an overhead join at Redhill if ATC instruct you to or if you've had radio failure; then it's overhead the runway on runway QDM not above 1400ft QNH and they'll tell you when to turn crosswind; there's no dead side at Redhill as fixed wing aircraft circuit north and helicopters circuit south.

Cricket23
21st Apr 2008, 20:27
As mark147 says the join onto 36 is pretty tight, but doesn't present a problem if you're prepared for it.

As you approach from the East and pass over Godstone Railway Station the second footbridge over the M23 which will be in your 11 o'clock and this marks the edge of the Gatwick zone and also marks the beginning of the base leg. This might be a little difficult to picture and may sound complicated, but it isn't.

If you have time I'd recommend 'flying' that bit on Google Earth as all will become clear.

I'd also recommend that before setting out that you check the website to ensure that 36 is open and that they're not off the taxiway.

Regards,

C23

chevvron
22nd Apr 2008, 15:42
Well how did it go? I think I talked to you on the way in.(from Elmsett?)

Mikehotel152
23rd Apr 2008, 07:11
Morning all,

Apart from horrendous visibility around Sevenoaks causing me a few heart palpitations http://forums.flyer.co.uk/images/smiles/icon_eek.gif and an inability to positively identify Godstone VRP which meant I used the Motorway Junction VRP instead, all went well during my visit to Redhill.

IMHO it's a very attractive larger airfield, with its large expanse of neatly cut grass, 3 runways, and decent cafe. Oh, and the guys at ATC are among the friendliest I've ever come across. I'll be back. :)

Chevvron - :ok: Yes, from Elmsett. If I spoke with you on the way in, thanks for rescuing me! Having 'flown' the route from Sevenoaks on Google Earth, I thought I would recognise Godstone VRP, but it just goes to show how the poor visibility on the westward run from Sevenoaks and my anxiety about Biggin, Kenley and Gatwick zones affected my trust in my own navigation. A perverse state of affairs if you think about it, seeing as in poor visibility you ought to rely more heavily on your navigation. Perhaps a GPS would have been useful! :O

Cricket23
23rd Apr 2008, 10:00
Sorry I should have mentioned this in my original post, but for the next time, when reaching Bough Beech reservoir just follow the railway line direct to Godtone Railway Station. The line passes to the north of the field, but it's a great help.

Also, if you fancy visiting Headcorn, instead of Redhill, then in the other direction, the railway line will take you direct to Headcorn.

regards,

C23

CottonEyeJoe
23rd Apr 2008, 10:48
Once read that this was the longest continous straight railway line in the UK. When Croydon was the London International Airport, Converted Vimy Bombers used to fly the Railway line all the way to Headcorn and turn right on route to Paris!!!!

Mikehotel152
23rd Apr 2008, 12:47
Whilst at Redhill I noticed helicopters asking Tower for permission to start engines. I didn't hear any fixed wing pilots asking for permission.

Is it mandatory for everybody to request engine start at Redhill? I didn't and no comment was made by ATC. :bored:

Cricket23
23rd Apr 2008, 12:47
Indeed. Also read that in WW2, German bombers used the railway line as 'VFR' to Kenley and Biggin. They also used the Caterham by-pass as a VFR maker as it used to be surfaced with white concrete and therefore quite distinctive from the air. At one point there was a suggestion of painting it black, but I'm not sure this was ever done.

C23

Cricket23
24th Apr 2008, 12:02
Mikehotel152. Asking for engine start is only mandatory for choppers, not fixed wing.

Don't know if you listened to the ATIS before calling the tower, but if you want to earn some 'brownie points' with them then listen to this first, and qute the relevant info back to them on first contact. It's only been in use in the last year, so they pleased when people use it.

C23