PDA

View Full Version : Slot Improvement Msg

galaxy flyer
20th Apr 2008, 18:51
This is pilot asking for slot improvement information.

At LIMC recently, about 40 minutes prior to flight planned take-off time, not EOBT, (another issue with our service provider, used proposed Take-off, not EOBT) we were ready and asked for a slot improvement. LIMC Delivery says, they will need to cancel flight plan and re-enter a new one for a slot improvement. Looking at the time and possible bad things happening with cancelled FPL, decided to wait it out.

Question: Is this the normal way to go about a slot improvement? Need to be refreshed on REA message and Slot improvement Message, I know there is difference but can't recall, also. I did try to "search" this forum, BTW.

GF

sr562
20th Apr 2008, 19:48
This is my understanding of it. A REA message can be sent 30 mins or less before EOBT so if you are ready before that then you either have to wait till 30 mins before and send a REA or cancel and refile. I think it is also the case that no improvement to a slot will be given 15mins before the FPL EOBT although i may be wrong on that.
A slot improvement message is an offer sent by the CFMU and is subject to a time limit, after which if the improvement is not accepted the offer is automatically rejected and the original slot still stands.

windowjob
20th Apr 2008, 20:03
This is one of the frustrating things with the system. EOBT + Taxy Time gives the Estimated Take Off Time. If there are restrictions on your route the earliest CTOT will equal this. You cannot go earlier as this is the earliest time you are planned for and fit into the system with. Whilst you can put in a Delay there is no message for earlier. The only way is to cancel and re-file with an earlier EOBT.
An REA message should only be used when you are actually ready, not as a matter of course when you have a CTOT that isn't the earliest. If there are cancellations etc then the system will try to improve your CTOT to as close as possible to EOBT + Taxy time. One of the most frustrating things is when a pilot asks for a REA, gets an improvement and when you pass it, says might be tight as we're just boarding! Ready means boarded, doors closed, tug in place - i.e ready!