PDA

View Full Version : UK vortex categories

Losingthewill
20th Apr 2008, 13:30
Would be grateful if anyone could point me in the direction of a publication or link listing aircraft types with the UK vortex wake codes. I appreciate we have the ICAO aircraft type doc which lists ICAO codes but have been unable to find a similar source listing both, or just with UK codes. Apologies if this has been asked before.

Chilli Monster
20th Apr 2008, 13:34
http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/CAP493Part1.pdf

Appendix B is the section you want

Losingthewill
20th Apr 2008, 13:42
Thanks for the quick reply Chilli Monster. What I'm actually after though is a full aircraft list, along the lines of ICAO doc 8643 held in ATC, but with UK codes.

Spitoon
20th Apr 2008, 14:10
Sorry - it doesn't exist in a published document.

The categories used are broadly based on MTOW with exceptions mentioned in the reference that Chilli gave you. If you want to know the category of an aircraft not listed in the examples given in CAP 493 you need to look up the MTOW and find which it sits in (i.e. there are no other exceptions).

Losingthewill
20th Apr 2008, 14:20
Thanks for your replies chaps. Find it very strange that there is no publication as such. All you UK controllers use the UK wake categories and I understand your flight progress strips include the wake catgory. Somewhere therefore, there must be a database which does the conversion, as flight plans are filed using ICAO wake codes. I would have thought this would have been readily available information. Very odd!!

Spitoon
20th Apr 2008, 14:23
Sorry - it doesn't exist in a published document. But, yes, it does exist in numerous databases.