PDA

View Full Version : Lancair Evolution

FullyFlapped
19th Apr 2008, 07:52
ANyone seen the latest copy of Loop ? It has an article on the Lancair Evolution, which I have to say, if the quoted performance, spec and price are correct, has just gone straight to the top of my "want one" list. And in case Mrs FF is having a sneaky read of this, no, I'm not joking, so brace yerself ! ;)

However, given that this a a US built composite "kit plane" (although it seems you can buy one already glued together, which is just as well in my case), what do we think the chances of it ever being approved to fly IFR, even if just on an N reg ?

Anyone have any idea ?

PS : for those who haven't seen it, the highlights are top speed of 420 mph, standard cruise of 270knots, turboprop so burning Avtur, 4 seats, side sticks and glass cockpit, a full-fuel useful load of 990 llbs, stall speed of 61kts, and max weight take off and landing distances of under 1,000 feet ! And plenty more besides ... it's worth a look. And no, I don't work for them !

Go on, Mrs FF, you know it makes sense !

IO540
19th Apr 2008, 07:57
IFR in the USA is not a problem on an Exp aircraft like this.

But it's without an ICAO CofA so no chance over here.

It's remotely possible that EASA might one day bring in an Exp category but IMHO this is extremely unlikely. It would be totally against the European-regulation way of doing things and there is not the slightest indication it would ever happen.

Instead, EASA may bring in more and more 'ultralight/sports' categories, 750kg and maybe more. But again no indication whatever that IFR will ever be allowed in any of these; in practice this means you cannot fly instrument approaches.

Maybe something could be imported and operated under Annex 2 ? Can anybody familiar with the regs comment? Still only VFR of course.

soay
19th Apr 2008, 09:11
The article quotes its fuel consumption in economy cruise at about 150 litres/hour. I wouldn't fancy paying for that when the new tax is slapped on Jet A for personal use, later this year. That's about 7 times as much fuel as a DA40-D, for going 3.5 times as fast, so I can't see much of a market for them in the UK.

Rod1
19th Apr 2008, 10:11
Very unlikely it will ever be approved in Europe, and certainly not IFR unless there is a huge change of attitude. Have to say the fuel burn looks horrendous.

Rod1

B2N2
19th Apr 2008, 12:10
It's not as fast, but maybe a little bit more realistic with certification pending:
http://www.compairaviation.com/ca12.html

IO540
19th Apr 2008, 12:16
Turbines are not efficient compared to piston engines.

The case hangs on climbing high up where you get a decent TAS - FL250 and above.

However, some engines are better than others. Look up the Grob 140, which used an Allison (now Rolls Royce) 450HP helicopter engine. That had a claimed 1200nm range with just a bit more MTOW than a TB20.

nh2301
19th Apr 2008, 14:29
I've flown in the Comp Air 12. It's a simply stunning airplane. Seems not to get too much attention, however.

IO540
19th Apr 2008, 14:46
Comp Air 12 - looks amazing. Heading for a similar market to the Epic Dynasty, or perhaps the Epic Escape (the latter will remain on the U.S. Exp Category, according to Epic). IMHO the Dynasty looks nicer :)

3rdrock1951
10th May 2009, 02:32
I own a Legacy that is approved for IFR. The evolution should be as well.

Zulu Alpha
10th May 2009, 15:03
G-ICBM is a Uk turbine Glasair. On a CAA permit If I recal correctly

See YouTube - Glasair Turbine G-ICBM (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iR6hYkQe4gE&feature=related)

I believe it is comparable in cost to a piston engine to run. It is faster, lower fuel cost and the TBO for the turbine is higher.

This one did have a nosegear failure which required a new prop and turbine stripdown, which I expect changed the cost equation significantly.

ZA

wac3456
11th Jul 2010, 09:00
Forget the Turbine!! check out the Glasair Baker Racer on youtube. an Ausi biult Twin Turbo 580 Glasair. Apparently theres no power loss all the way to 20,000ft.and can cruise over 300kts.