PDA

View Full Version : North Sea Helicopters and HMRs

helimutt
18th Apr 2008, 21:37
As a low time co-pilot Southern North Sea, North, We have HMRs but for some reason, since I started flying here, seldom fly the exact route of the HMR, so is this a problem for the controllers (Anglia?)

I only just found out about HOOPS a couple of days ago and everyone I asked at the base wasn't aware of it either. Is it best for us to advise Anglia of our low flying due icing if such conditions exist, or the first radar controller we talk to once airborne? ie Humberside Radar.

Also, is there anything that the offshore heli pilots do that annoy the offshore controllers? (ducks down for incoming:eek:).

Only asking so I can avoid doing it.

Cuddles
18th Apr 2008, 21:58
Hi HM

As a voice on the other end of the radio

HMR's - when we've got the radar running (We'll tell you if it isn't) you don't have to follow the HMR's if they don't go exactly where you don't want to go, but if you happen to be on them, then that's all fine and dandy. Just bear in mind that the military are meant to avoid the HMRs, so if you get 'bounced' and you're not on one, they will have more of a leg to stand on than they would if you were on one.

HOOPS - Don't tell Humberside, you'll only confuse them:ouch:, if you need to be at lower than normal levels for any reason, just let us know, and if it's the sort of thing that is lkely to affect the operations for a significant part of the day, we'll tell the Mil (Who will probably ignore us and carry on regardless:ugh:)

Annoying traits. Well I'm can only speak for myself, if you need to scoot around some weather etc. then just let us know, I'm pretty accommodating, and it stops me getting all jumpy, as sometimes there is traffic around, not close enough for me to need to tell you about.

I know the cockpit workload's high, and I can usually get you on the second call, but don't forget if you've turned me down (And I can sympathise with you, as can my wife and many of my colleagues) I can tell you about traffic until I'm blue in the face, and you'll never know about it.

Hope this helps, and if you've got any more questions, just ask, or give us a bell.

helimutt
19th Apr 2008, 11:26
Thanks for that. Problem re radios is that with two boxes on the go and such short hops, it can be busy sometimes, but no excuse really if that's all I have to do. !!

Will bear in mind the above. :ok:

atcomarkingtime
19th Apr 2008, 13:44
Helimut....a HOOPS...what's that then...enlighten us!!:ok:

As to doing things that annoy offshore controllers....well...it starts when you arrive at the airport for work until the moment you jump back in your car!!! (joke).....

The main thing that gets my goat is when a pilot says "Anglia...callsign"... then we have to say "callsign...anglia pass your message"....and its just the pilot requesting descent ...I'd prefer the message to passed straight away coz I'm sat there anyway waiting for someone to talk to me!!

Good news about the HOOPS anyway....if you're flying low level due icing then do tell us...we then contact the low level flying cell and inform the mil via notam that hels are flying lower than normal.

helimutt
20th Apr 2008, 10:04
A bit below the belt there AMT, but hey, we can't all work a job that is the same as part time, no stress, overpaid, and get to sit in outside Jacuzzis on our days and evenings off, drinking beer with girls in uniform. Some of us pilots work for a living and live in the ********** of the UK. :E

...but i'll keep in mind the things posted about how bad we are at our jobs! ;)

atcomarkingtime
21st Apr 2008, 08:53
hahahaha...helimut...can you imagine a part time job....as you only do a quick hop out to a rig seconds offshore and then go home...not even part time are you!!!LOL