PDA

View Full Version : Piper Super Cub

USD
17th Apr 2008, 15:39
Anyone know of any very good condition Super Cubs for sale?

Is there a UK super cub association?

I would appreciate any comments about the aircraft from those who own or fly them.

Many thanks.

er340790
17th Apr 2008, 19:09
Few aircraft hold their value as well as cared-for Super Cubs. Made a decent profit on the last two I owned (J3s). On this side of the pond worn but fully serviceable examples on floats start circa $50k, but if you're not careful you can easily pay almost as much again in repairs.

Was looking at a 2003 home-built example last month on floats. Had a 1974 Continental motor and the guy wanted $70k. Forget it! A new fully certified (VFR) example from CubCrafters isn't much over $100k.

If you are planning just say 100 hours p.a. and can find 3 or 4 other like-minded folks, I would take the new route. If you go used, make sure the inspection is A1.

Enjoy!:D

wrecker
17th Apr 2008, 19:16
You could try the "Vintage Piper Aircraft Club" VPAC which covers super cubs
try www.vintagepiper.com or [email protected]

Mike Echo
18th Apr 2008, 08:07
Sent a P.M.

Mike Echo

Piper.Classique
18th Apr 2008, 08:38
They do everything I want, anyway. Mine is 55 years old, originally built as a 135 and converted to a 150 in the seventies. Tows gliders, goes touring (slowly) lands and takes off anywhere. There is no way I would sell while I still have a licence. My other half and I bought it in 1981, and plan on keeping it. We have refabriced, ten years ago, zero timed the engine two years ago, and if we sold would get our money back, all our flying paid for, and probably a bit left over. But why would we ever want to sell?