PDA

View Full Version : LAA / BMAA Press Release

Rod1
17th Apr 2008, 15:36
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

BRITISH MICROLIGHT AIRCRAFT ASSOCIATION AND LIGHT AIRCRAFT ASSOCIATION BEGIN WORK TO RECOMMEND AMALGAMATION

The Councils of the British Microlight Aircraft Association ( BMAA ) and the Light Aircraft Association ( LAA ) have agreed to initiate joint discussions leading to amalgamation.

Keith Negal, BMAA Chairman and Roger Hopkinson, LAA Chairman said “ During mid-April our respective Councils voted unanimously to work towards the amalgamation of our two successful associations. Our aim is to put this proposal to our members later this year and, with their support, enter 2009 as a single association of nearly 12,000 members. There is much work to be done but, particularly at this time of great change in the regulation and structure of European light aviation, the advantages of pooling our strength, experience and resources for the benefit of all our members can no longer be ignored ”.

------------------------
I hope this goes through.

Rod1

IFollowRailways
17th Apr 2008, 15:57
Amalgamate AOPA as well and GA might finally have a strong unified voice/pressure group in the UK.

The total combined number of members would then be a force to be recognised by CAA/EASA and Government!

batninth
17th Apr 2008, 18:32
I hope this goes through.

So do I, it's a pain having to be a member of both - one because I want to be, the other so I can get a permit.

Rod1
18th Apr 2008, 08:33
“Amalgamate AOPA as well and GA might finally have a strong unified voice/pressure group in the UK.”

Aopa have 4000 members, but have refused to even join the alliance so will probably never join us. The next obvious group would be the BGA which also has about 4000 members. The LAA / BMAA and the BGA work very closely together at the moment.

With the LAA and BMAA together we get 12,000 members plus some significant operational cost savings which will make a difference on the lobby side. The combined association would also represent 6000 competed aircraft and about 2000 under construction, which is a very significant % of the UK light aircraft fleet. With the changes in EASA this number of aircraft – along with the membership this brings in, is likely to rise sharply over the next few years.

Rod1

Humaround
18th Apr 2008, 08:35
At last, an outbreak of sanity.

Lomcovaks
18th Apr 2008, 17:51
Fantastic news Rod1 and I sincerely hope it goes through too.

The new 'microlights' on the scene like the Dynamic WT-9 make this move imperative as they make any distinction between the types of aircraft flown immaterial.

Genghis the Engineer
19th Apr 2008, 06:02
It'll be interesting to see what happens next - there are some very interesting management problems in merging two airworthiness systems like that.

One thing that won't happen however is, I suspect, 12000 members. If that's the total membership of the two associations - it misses the very large overlap. I'd guess a total of nearer 9,000.

G

TheOddOne
19th Apr 2008, 06:44
Genghis,

Absolutely right. There's an awful lot of double-counting here amongst all the various GA and sporting aviation organisations. I'm a member of several - AOPA twice!(individual and Corporate).

It'll be interesting to see if there are breakaway organisations or splinter groups that form as some members aren't comfortable with being in bed with 'the other lot'. There'll probably be loads of arguments about what the new organisation will be called. Anyone know where it will be based - Turweston? Seen microlights in there occasionally.

TheOddOne