PDA

View Full Version : Air Canada

Emirates_Rulz
17th Apr 2008, 06:46
Hi There

Can any one tell me about the lifestyle in Canada. Can you also tell me are the benefits any good, and is the roster any good as well and also about the pay??

Thanks

clevlandHD
17th Apr 2008, 10:03
Life style compares with Oz, weather does not. T's and C's are waaaay better in Oz than Canada.

From your previous posts, one can see that you are still a bit green. Perhaps you should start flying and adjust your career plan as you go. What is good today might not be tomorrow.

pitotman
18th Apr 2008, 15:54
Life style compares with Oz, weather does not. T's and C's are waaaay better in Oz than Canada.

From your previous posts, one can see that you are still a bit green. Perhaps you should start flying and adjust your career plan as you go. What is good today might not be tomorrow.

Emirates_Rulz,

I disagree with all of the above. Both countries are very similar when it comes to flying and terms and conditions...it all depends on what you want. WJ guys love there job and work about 16 days a month and they get a nice variety in a great working environment. AC is similar to Qantas and it offers you a variety of career choices, whether you choose long haul or short haul the bottom line is your terms and conditions improve with seniority. After 1-2years you could be a Jr EMb skipper make over a 100K a year or you could be a 777 rp and make 50/year due do a Position group which will hopefully expire in 2009. Outside the PG a 777 rp makes about a 110K to work 6-9 days a month. I was offered a job with Qantas in 2004 when I got furloughed with Air Canada straight onto the -400 as an s/o and I declined the offer.

Where is better to live........to each there own, I would take a thigh deep powder day at Whistler over anything Aussie has to offer...but having said that I do enjoy a good surf in Aussie when I layover.........however I am lucky I get the best of both worlds...........my advice to you is research what you want, figure out what is most important and then set to it................

pitotman

alphajet01
18th Apr 2008, 18:45
you can see start salary with AC ...nevere seen after 2 years you get 100k im talking about f/o position ...for captain too i guess im not sure ...

anyway im currently in canada and for me overseas its better :ok:

Nuuk
18th Apr 2008, 18:46
If you want to be paid less than a bus driver for a few years, welcome on board:ugh:

Emirates_Rulz
19th Apr 2008, 00:21
So which pays better flying the boeings or the airbus??

RA-DOME
21st Apr 2008, 21:22
From what I have heard this is quite accurate, except the guarantee, it's closer to 75...

http://airlinepilotcentral.com/airlines/canadian/air_canada.html

kingoftheslipstream
22nd Apr 2008, 13:57
emirates rulz

Y'all start on flat pay at AC - I used ta werk fer 'em. It's crappy fer the first two years. If ya qualify fer direct entry ERJ command, yer on flat pay till ya finish yer left seat final line check but: Ya' don't make 100k in the left seat a the ERJ... that's bull**** on a pitchfork dude! Maybe around year 5 or so... The weather in Canada's a lot tougher 'n what ya get in OZ. Canadian taxation is very high. AC and it's unions are gonna duke it out over pay 'n conditions in '09, it's gonna be rough. Qantas is a better deal overall, I got friends there an' their standard a livin' is better in Oz than what you'd get from AC on the same equipment. Good luck.

DHC6to8
22nd Apr 2008, 15:41
Hej guys... I think it is crazy to have to take a massive pay cut to go back to Canada to work... Canada sometimes seems to be a third world cloaked in the shroud of the first world...
But, one thing is for certain.... Canada does export some top quality pilots..... talk about brain drain...
fly safe
6to8

pitotman
23rd Apr 2008, 14:39
Hmm according to our contract you do make over a hundred K when you leave the flat pay.............115.00 hr X 80 hrs............you do the math...........

Pitotman

meaw
23rd Apr 2008, 19:14
Kingoftheslipstream
A brand new pilot with the company that gets upgraded to left seat EMJ after his first year will make around 105-110,000$ and thats a fact because I work there,I have the contract and a couple of friends in that situation.
After 8 years (my case) it will be around 125,000$ on your T4.

kingoftheslipstream
26th Apr 2008, 08:39
pitotman and meaw

Thanks for clarifying that - and it's nice ta hear. :ok:

Mr Lover
26th Apr 2008, 13:21
Hi Meaw....

is this amount net of taxes... if yes not too bad..

Thanks

tbaylx
27th Apr 2008, 06:46
Before taxes. you have to knock off about 40% of that to get your after tax income.

meaw
28th Apr 2008, 10:31
Mr.Lover,

I wish!
Net with per diems it comes out to about 6500$ per month.

pitotman
4th May 2008, 17:17
tbaylx,

Mate where do you pull the 40% out of..............? Last year I T4 107,000 and my bracket was 31% before RRSP contributions and after my contributions it was 17%.......I believe the guy is looking for facts not sour grapes. If you paid 40% then your a fool..................I'll take 90 thousand, living in Vancouver over any amount of money anywhere anytime............

Respectfully,

PM

faireydelta
4th May 2008, 20:08
http://lsminsurance.ca/calculators/canada/income-tax

You might find some accurate info at the above link. Tax rate depends on which province you live in. You'll notice some provinces do approach 40%. And let's not forget to add the often onerous municipal/school taxes and GST/PST which push tax freedom day well into the spring, sometime. After all that, if you skrimp hard enough, you might have something left over for RRSPs.

I am now one of the many Canadian pilots plying our trade away from home. I have often wondered what percentage of Canadian ATPL holders are flying as expats. Never seen any stats, but judging from my own friends/contacts in the industry, it must be at least 30%. That speaks volumes to me, and should to anyone planning to set up in Canada.

Anyone without family and friends and deep roots in Canada should think hard before setting up there as a pilot, IMHO. I think many of us would love to go back, but starting at AC at 37K is a little hard to take.

The respect and renumeration accorded to me flying overseas has never been even approached in 25 yrs of flying in Canada. It is gratifying to have finally found it, but leaving a beautiful country, my home, to do so is very sad and something I try not to dwell on.