View Full Version : Changing state of issue of Licence

Cloud Bunny
16th Apr 2008, 19:23
Found out today that as part of Ryanairs ongoing project to make life as unbearable as possible for those unfortunate enough to work there, that we are now not allowed to upgrade our licences from CPL to ATPL unless we have an IAA licence. :mad::mad::*:*
I am due to upgrade my licence at my next LPC in July and being a UK citizen, based in the UK, lived in the UK all my life and I therefore have a UK CAA Licence means I am no longer allowed to upgrade my Licence. I am also trying to get out of FR at the moment and therefore an IAA Licence is of absolute no use to me whatsoever because I am only interested in UK companies who, not surprisingly, don't accept an IAA Licence (as far as I can tell). An ATPL however is of great use.
My question is this and was a suggestion that actually came from my other half. What if I was to transfer to an IAA Licence, do my LPC and upgrade my Licence and then transfer back to my beloved UK CAA Licence only this time it willl be an ATPL. Would this work? Is it allowed?

parabellum
16th Apr 2008, 23:15
I would have thought that any reasonable UK employer would understand your situation and if they wanted to employ you surely they could arrange for you to upgrade your licence during your initial training with the company?

joehunt
18th Apr 2008, 07:31
Why not leave them, upgrade your license, then if they want you back let them re employ you.

If they don't, well there are plenty of other operators around and jobs of course.

lederhosen
18th Apr 2008, 08:26
I would definitely get a JAA ATPL issued and then transfer it back to the UK when you actually need it.

It should be pretty easy to explain to your prospective employer that Ryanair insisted you fly on an Irish licence and that it is only a paperwork exercise converting it back. They might even pay the fee if you are lucky!

RYR-738-JOCKEY
19th Apr 2008, 01:56
Cloud Bunny, IMHO...do nothing. This is excactly the same bull**** they published in an FCI/Memo three years ago. I suspect this might have to do with the close contact between IAA/RYR. More money to IAA.

lederhosen
19th Apr 2008, 07:35
Having been involved in recruitment in the past I can speak with a degree of experience. Attractive jobs result in your being inundated with CVs. The first task is to sort out the best candidates. With the best will in the world you cannot interview a limitless number of people. So you establish criteria in order to select who to take on to the next stage.

One criteria might well be an unfrozen ATPL. We all know some companies that require this. However you might like a reasonable company to behave, the reality is that saying you qualify and actually having an ATPL are two different things. If you have two equally experienced candidates one with an ATPL, one without you can see who gets the nod. Those that meet the criteria get considered, those that do not get the PFO. Make it easy for yourself and check you meet the criteria.

Also imagine you are the poor soul tasked to read 300 CVs. If your job is to sort out the most promising candidates I can assure you that along with the criteria, spelling mistakes and presentation really do matter. Everybody knows this in theory but the reality is amazingly different.