PDA

View Full Version : SIA, RBA, MAS

sirsushi
15th Nov 2001, 07:31
hi, i know this is a REALLY bad time to ask.
But does anyone have any idea when sponsorships are on again?
I'm Malaysian and a Brunei Resident which qualifies me for MAS and SIA. not RBA though..
i know what you guys are thinking, why the hell fly for SIA when i've heard so much rumours about them?
well, sometimes, some of us are desperate enough :) :)

QNH1013
16th Nov 2001, 09:26
Sorry to tell you that MAS is in a bad shape now and there are no cadet courses planned for the near future. If you have your CPL IR with Frozen ATPL you may be lucky to get in to AirAsia here as they plan expension in the next few years. But I wouldn't do a full course just to count on that. As with SIA, I'm not sure if they are still recruiting cadets right now but it would be worth it to write in to them and ask.

sirsushi
16th Nov 2001, 09:50
Hey, thanks for the reply.
Just as i thought, the answer wouldn't be very good. But it's okay, i guess i'd just have to wait :)
I;m about to start on my PPL as soon as my next salary comes out, the way i see it, it's gonna take me almost two bloody years to get it :cool:

CockpitJunkie
20th Nov 2001, 16:37
sirsushi,

Would suggest you read the following posts on pprune Steps Of Becoming An Airline Pilot at http://www.pprune.org/cgibin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=12&t=007399 .

It is just as relevant to you and might save some heart ache and a few (lot) of RM.

sirsushi
21st Nov 2001, 10:37
Hey, thanks for referring the thread. Yeah, i know that things are pretty ****ty at the moment, or for the future, but i can;t let myself down again, i took a diploma in hotel management because it was "normal". Not that i regret it ever taking this course but when i look up and a plane flies over, you know the rest ;)

Djoni Boerhanoeddin
22nd Nov 2001, 08:52
I just read the website of RBA in training page it says they have 8 Bruneians attained command rank and other 28 are in F/O position very interesting is the other technical crew are recruited from Great Britain, Australian and New Zealand, I have not agains this 3 nationalities but what is the reason, while the flops manager is from Britain and already very2 long term in RBA. are this some kind of discrimination or just taken opportunity to save the nice job as expatriate for "just between us only"

sirsushi
22nd Nov 2001, 10:48
Hey Broer, great to see you online again. I can't seem to find the website you mentioned, all i can find is the official SBA website which does not mention anything about pilots. Please advise

Usman
29th Nov 2001, 07:44
Broer: Yes RBA is a colonial British Club for pilots just like Cathay Pacific.

I am not saying that all British guys are bad it just that Brunei aviation had been hijacked by the rots of England.

Big Kahuna
29th Nov 2001, 15:19
FL600, you sound a bit pissed off. Is it that you have been rejected by both RBA and CPA.

The fact that RBA take most of their pilots from New Zealand, Australia and UK, is simply, that is where they can find the best pilots that meet their employment criteria. Licence and experience.

Get a life....

Usman
30th Nov 2001, 10:26
Big Kahuna : "The fact that RBA take most of their pilots from New Zealand, Australia and UK, is simply, that is where they can find the best pilots that meet their employment criteria. Licence and experience"

You can go and tell that to the marines.

In the early 60's when Brunei was fighting for independence the Sultanate was against it. There was a rebellion against the old Sultan. The British army was called to quell the rebellion. The old Sultan stepped down but the royalty got 30% and the British got 70% of the oil. The country got nothing much except free of taxes.

So now you know how the present Sultan ended up to be the richest man in the world more than Bill Gates.

After that event the Sultanate never trust its own people. Even the palace bodyguards are manned by the Gurkhas under the British command.

It was no surprise that the airline industries were treated the same.

Your argument about getting the best pilot does not hold water if you don't know (don't want to know, or trying to conceal) the history of the region.

Big Kahuna
30th Nov 2001, 11:03
Didn't realise we were in for a history lesson.

I was referring to the current day, not yesteryear.

Bob Hawke
30th Nov 2001, 12:27
FL6000,

I think you are confusingfact and fiction. If you had a look a bit more closely at the
real asian airlines, and their performance, you would seee a big difference. In some Countries they have a bloody big
carpet where a hell of a lot gets swept underr.

Would you like to lift up the carpet and compare.

Your history lesson relates to the political environment, and not the aviaation one.

OldAce999
30th Nov 2001, 12:54
Old history effects the present enviroment.

How come airline such as SIA,MAS,Garuda,Thai Int.,and PAL in this region have their nationals as a majority. It's their respective government policy.

Would you like say South East Asian as a majority in British Airways.

Come, come... western airlines failed too...Just look at Eastern Airline, Ansett,Pan Am, TWA and countless others.

I had known of a few very capable Brunei local pilots with 10 years and 7000 hours (with ATPL) being seconded on our airline by RBA as a F/O for a couple of years and later return to Brunei seconded to a desk job in their civil aviation department.

This is nothing but smack of the old British Club and colonialism.

JUNGLEJET
30th Nov 2001, 13:30
For an airline like RBA. It is near impossible for them to be crewed by a majority of locals.

The fact that Brunei's populations is only about 330000 plays a big part in this.

It's all about numbers....

Djoni Boerhanoeddin
30th Nov 2001, 18:01
Big Kahuna like FL600 said not all British and Australian, New Zealand are bad, the post I write are taken from www.bruneiair.com (http://www.bruneiair.com) and everybody in Bandar Seri Begawan known the Ops. Manager in RBA he was there for more than 20 yrs and for purpose of transfer knowledge, you should know if the result only 8 commanders, while if they need pilot they only want "people among us only" are they hidding something in RBA or playing Saint Nicolaus?

GlueBall
30th Nov 2001, 23:28
If you have a job don't you qualify for credit? Interest rates are low. You could get a loan for self sponsored flight training. Many moons ago I had applied for several credit cards and charged some of my flight training costs, making minimum monthly payments on the cards. It really worked and saved me a lot of time. In the USA it's called: "Paying with plastic." :cool:

[ 30 November 2001: Message edited by: GlueBall ]

Volmet
1st Dec 2001, 01:45
I think I should jump onboard this thread after hearing all the 'nice' things to say about Brunei.

I was born and orginally from Brunei. However, being of a Chinese descent, the government has flat out refused to offer citizenship. And this goes for my father and grandparents' generation as well.
Instead a Pink ID card and a "stateless" or should I say useless passport were issued.

It's hysterically funny now that I go back and enquire about their cadet program, I was told I am a foreigner and to go away! Talk about professionalism, folks! This after I have done some commercial flying in Canada too.

Hearing from my friends who have worked there, it's really a sad and frustrating place to be if you were a local. The root of the problem comes with the government itself.

Am I bitter? Sure not as much as before. Then again, who wouldn't be? Being born in a country where no citizenship was offered to you and now not being able to work there! Now the government wonders why all the educated individuals with credentials left the country? :mad:

Fuzzy
1st Dec 2001, 06:25
Can someone please decipher Broer post in to English. It makes no sense at all.

Big Kahuna
1st Dec 2001, 06:31
Volmet, I do feel sorry for you that Brunei does not recognize you as a citizen.

But if you were really serious and interested in becoming a pilot, you would go and pay for the training yourself. Meet the requirements and apply for a job as a direct entry FO.

Life is what you make it....

Usman
1st Dec 2001, 06:46
Well how about appointing a local as Chief Pilot of Operation for once.

If he can't perform then I won't say anything for the next millinium.

Volmet
1st Dec 2001, 07:16
Thanks for the encouragement, Big K.

Yes, I did pay for my own training/licenses and commercially flying now in Canada. It's slow but getting there...only a few more hunderd from the A license.

You suggest I should go and bug them? Feel free to drop me a mail if you like.

Cheers :D

Borneo Wild Man
1st Dec 2001, 07:24
:cool: If you infact research the history of the airline (RBA) you will infact discover Air New Zealand help set it up and the most senior RBA local Captains flew with Air NZ on the F27.The first DFO was a kiwi.The Brunei CAA then liased closely with the NZCAA.This is the reason the Brunei CAA recognises the NZ licence.The only licences that Brunei recognise now are JAR/UK or NZ.Even as a Brunei national you must have one of these licences.The Brunei CAA is not geared up to issue its own ATPL,the above licences are under validation.
As an expat you can only join the company if you have a B767/757 type rating on the above licence and ATPL.
As a local cadet you must just pass the intervieiw and meet the program entry requirements.
The expats getting commands at the moment have more experience--simple.
Locals can be put up for command with 4000hrs total time.Expats need 5000hrs.
Now you know what you require stop the sour grapes!

Borneo Wild Man
1st Dec 2001, 07:35
FL 600 for your info Locals hold the following posts at RBA,
Fleet Manager,
Flight Safety Manager,and soon
Flight Training Manager
Line Training Captain

With your attitude no wonder you cant get a job!

Usman
1st Dec 2001, 12:59
Who say I need a job in RBA.

With a current rating on B747-400 for the last 10 years and 17,000 hours I'm sitting comfortably way up in the north of Brunei.

Who wants to join a British Club when your skin is not white.

COWPAT
1st Dec 2001, 20:05
FL600, I'm really pleased that you are so happy with your lot and don't need a job with RBA.

I too am very happy with my lot. I work for RBA as an expat Captain, have a very good working and social relationship with the locals and look forward to it continuing.

You will notice that I do not feel at all inclined to criticise your airline, where you are so very happy. Why do you feel it necessary to criticise my airline when you freely admit to not needing (or presumably wanting) to work here?

Wouldn't be a bit of a not very well hidden agenda would there?

Usman
2nd Dec 2001, 05:09
I'm originally from Limbang if you know where that place is. I had relations and friends in Brunei.

Well you expats at RBA would better start asking yourself what hidden agenda you had set for RBA since Brunei became independance in 1984.

Don't you think Brunei cannot produce a Director of Flight Operation after 16 years.
Who is blocking the ways, but the expats who wants to protect their butt ass positions in RBA for eternity.

Hermie
2nd Dec 2001, 08:45
Hey,

If I'm not wrong a few years back a Singaporean who took up flying lessons on his own and then applied for RBA as direct entry FO got the job. Lucky bloke !!

sirsushi
Where are you going to do your PPL ? I've been looking for a good place to do my PPL. Definitely not Singapore, we all know why !

Ok, Cheers All

Best Regards,
Herman :cool:

sirsushi
2nd Dec 2001, 12:51
First of all, I have to express sincere gratitude for each and every reply.

Broer- thanks for your guidance and advice.

FL600- you're from Limbang? The land the brunei people go to for booze :)

V- sorry to hear about your case but are you still holding your pink card? I'm malaysian and a pink card holder. maybe we could discuss abou this. drop me an e-mail.

Hermie- I havent started on my PPL but i should be starting next month as soon as my salary slip comes right into my pocket. I'll be doing it right here in Brunei. Heard of Royal Brunei Flying Club? It's about 275 sing/Brunei dollars and hour. with a discount after the first five hours. if you do the math, that's about a maximum of 12k. how much is it in singapore? Drop me an e-mail and if you do wanna come to Brunei to fly, i'd be happy to help.

Usman
3rd Dec 2001, 05:43
You can get a PPL in Malacca for only RM3000.

Djoni Boerhanoeddin
3rd Dec 2001, 08:53
FL600 I agree with you in fact those expat actually used RBA as stepping stone to better themselves financially and professionally, when this was no longer attractive they left for greener pasteurs.

Let's just relate the fact like it is.

My article was fair and not example of "false reporting". "some" expatriates just lack the integrity and are not sufficient role models their action betray their false posturing

Hermie
3rd Dec 2001, 13:58
FL600,

IN YOUR DREAMS,get your PPL for RM3000. Though I might sound a bit rude, I'm not.

You'll probably get your PPL in Malacca at about RM14,000 and your PPL with Johor Flying Club at roughly about the same price.

sirsushi,

In Singapore, it will cost you S$20K, just to do your PPL. You might want to do your CPL in US/NZ with that amount of money.

Cheers All :D

Best Regards,

sirsushi
4th Dec 2001, 10:47
what is this i hear about a PPL for RM14,000 in Malacca and Johor? The last time I calculated, it was about 20k odd for the Malacca Flying Club :confused:

Usman
5th Dec 2001, 07:07
4B Flying Club in Malacca is charging only RM4500 for the PPL. They had advertised for it in the papers and appeared on TV this year to make their presense known.

Call them at 06-3176717 or Fax.

Their a/c rental is RM150 per hour.

Address is Hanger KP4B Lapangan Terbang
Batu Berendam,
75350 Melaka.

Why do you some ******s want to make private flying expensive. If avgas is expensive then use petrol driven engine. If commercial built a/c is expensive then use local assembled. Improvise man, don't kill the market and the interest.

For the rich if they can afford it they would have bought their executive jets.

Go look:http://geocities.com/kp4b_malaysia/

[ 05 December 2001: Message edited by: FL600 ]

Hermie
5th Dec 2001, 07:31
FL600,

NO WAY, you can't be serious ! That's like bloody cheap mate.

I wonder if they adhere to the ICAO flying requirements ? Oh well, Thanks for the lil' info, I'll buZZ them immediately !

Best Regards,

sunrise161
8th Dec 2001, 00:07
Can any of the SQ Tech Crew shed some light if "there is a pattern for the 340 tech crew to pax back from SEL to SIN via BKK?" On the return leg for the SIN/SEL/SFO flt.

zxamx
11th Dec 2001, 20:37
FL600,

Please don't get it wrong. RM150/hr is the rate for microlight. Microlight syllabus requires only 30 hrs conversion before PPL (Restricted - Microlight) could be issued by DCA Malaysia. If you work out properly, its true that one requires only RM4500 to complete the course but not for the PPL (Aeroplane). PPL(A) can only be issued if a complete course on a certifired aeroplane is carried out. e.g. C172/150/PA28 etc. Total hours required for the PPL(A) is min 50 hrs and currently the average cost per hour in M'sia is about RM300-350 per hr, depending on which club that you deal with. Hope this will clear the issue.

To confirm this, please call DCA Malaysia, tel: 60-3-888 66 000.

Happy flying :cool: :cool: :cool:

Usman
14th Dec 2001, 00:58
The last I know 30 hours is required for a PPL(A). Why the increased? Some countries are reducing it to 25 only, with the help of flight simulation flights on PCs.

As usual trying to make thing difficult for Malaysian and stumping their interest in aviation.

The authorities had before taken crop spraying pilots from Australia (who only sit for 2 of the 7 subjects required) as commercial pilots (CPL)in Malaysia.

Big Kahuna
14th Dec 2001, 08:19
FL600, Not sure where you are from, but you seem to have a total lack of understanding of what goes on in the real world.

Leave the posts to people who can get their facts straight.

[ 14 December 2001: Message edited by: Big Kahuna ]

Usman
14th Dec 2001, 10:23
Yea, yea real world....world class for how much to pay under the counter.

USA had approx 750,000 general aviation aircraft for a population of 280 million. At this rate Malaysia should have about 50,000 to be consired World Class.

Ok ok we take 5000.Do we have that, given even 50 is doughful. It's because general aviation is made difficult and only the domain of the very rich.

With an open system I can still charge RM150 an hour on a certified plane for a PPL(A)

0.88M
16th Dec 2001, 13:33
Dear SirSushi:
Why not try SIA cadet Scheme.
Not the best place to work but heck,
At least you get B777 and B744 rating within
5-8years of FO-ship
If you do a JAA ATPL you can go any where after you get command..

Hermie
16th Dec 2001, 19:56
0.88M

Any tips or insiders information on the requirement of the SIA Cadet Pilot ? Other than what has been posted on the web ?

Eid Mubarak

Cheers,

sirsushi
18th Dec 2001, 18:28
.8mm, Thanks for the advice, but hey, who wouldn't want to get into SIA. the problem is, CAN I? or are they recruiting now or anytime soon. i'm game for any sponsorships that come my way, but a sof the moment, i believe they're all closed down. Thanks for the advice anyway, very kind of you.
oh yeah, any idea when the sponsorships are coming up again? :D :D :D