PDA

View Full Version : Accessories from America

jollyrog
15th Apr 2008, 13:44
I need a new headset and the prices are considerably lower in the USA.

Has anyone any experience of internet ordering from America?

Duchess_Driver
15th Apr 2008, 14:28
Yep. Ordered from Sportys and Gliem.

Mr Customs and Excise usually wants his share, but even then it is still worth the effort - depending upon what you're ordering alongside your headsets.

Mr UPS or Federal Distress may get involved also, but it's again reasonable providing you don't want an overnight service.

coodem
15th Apr 2008, 15:39
Expect 10% duty + 17.5%VAT, the postage also has to have the duty and Vat paid on. Best finding someone you know who is going there, and get them to bring it back

jxc
15th Apr 2008, 18:42
I have ordered from www.skygeek.com on 2 occasions now and on the last occasion the goods arrived quicker then something ordered at the same time in the U.K. !!

Looking at the last fedex invoice only VAT @ 17.5% and admin charge 6.80
no import duty

Cheers

JXC

englishal
15th Apr 2008, 19:05
I use Sporty's......they will ship to the UK but you may get VAT added on if HMCR decide they can be bothered. I usually ship to my brother-in-law (who is a yank) who then sends my "gifts" over to me ;)

Julian
16th Apr 2008, 09:16
I have ordered a ton of stuff over the years from the US as its generally much cheaper. As EA says your biggest problem will be HMRC, I have been caught a couple of times and been taxed, I think its about 21% that they add for VAT and an 'admin fee'.

Make sure that you get the sender to use insured mail as some will just send via uninsured mail, the problem is that its a long way and you dont want your package going missing and a potentially very expensive item lost along with you hard earned money!

J.

Mikehotel152
16th Apr 2008, 09:23
I bought my wife's headset from the US because it appeared to be cheaper even with HMRC adding VAT. The headset arrived in the UK but was held by the Post Office until I had paid the VAT in person at the Depot.

In retrospect it was only a few quid cheaper after VAT and delivery charges, more hassle, took far longer, and I wouldn't do it again unless I were buying a number of items or something expensive like a GPS.

Of course, so much better to buy while you or a mate are out in the US. Obviously in those circumstances I would go back through the Red Customs Channel...obviously...

stocker
16th Apr 2008, 09:41
I bought a load of stuff from Canada and had it sent to someone I knew there who took everything out of the boxes, posted it to me as if it were a used gift and sent the paperwork seperately at a later date.

Seems a lot of hassle but it saved me a bundle. Im not sure of the legality of it, well actually I am, but if your conscience allows it then.........

But to be honest if it were just a headset I would look for a uk bargain then phone up and ask for additional discount, normally works for a few extra quid.

Floppy Link
16th Apr 2008, 10:30
..the only thing I miss about airline flying - getting the stuff sent to the crew hotel in Orlando!