PDA

View Full Version : "no decel" on A320 family

Uber05
15th Apr 2008, 12:50
I was wondering..
is there some operator who's company SOP, prescribe the "NO DECEL" callout made by the pnf during landing roll with autobrake selected on low or medium ?
Maybe as a monitor for the pf of a given deceleration rate or for whatever else reason ?
Thank you in advance.

potkettleblack
15th Apr 2008, 13:44
If autobrakes are selected and there is no DECEL light after touchdown then we will call it. Gives the PF the opportunity to kick in on the pedals if they are unhappy with the rate of deceleration. Of course it doesn't necessarily mean that the brakes aren't working at all. Just that they haven't reached 80% of the selected rate. FCOM 1.32.30 refers.

FlightDetent
15th Apr 2008, 14:19
We used to do when there were no green light for whatever reason on the autobrake pedal. As Airbus rephrased the wording in 3.3.90 we changed as well:

DECEL callout means that the deceleration is felt by the crew, and confirmed by the speed trend on the PFD. It can also be confirmed by the DECEL light. If no positive deceleration, call NO DECEL.

FD (the un-real)

Uber05
15th Apr 2008, 19:50
So potkettleblack you say you will call it if there is no DECEL light after touchdown. But my question is : is it a standard call, prescribed by your airline SOPs or its just a "crew agreement" call ?
thank you again.

guiones
15th Apr 2008, 19:53
Uber05:

Read and apply what FlightDetent quoted, it is 100% correct, along with "reversers green" and "spoilers"

FlightDetent
16th Apr 2008, 06:56
Uber: For us it used to be a "convenience" call, however prescribed by normal operating philosophy. If there is a deviation, abnormal system behaviour, or a departure from the planned course of action, a call-out is mandatory. Not explicitely worded in the previous book, but definitely much more then an agreement.

So normal behaviour would have been "g-splrs ..... r-green, no decel!" "What?" "oh, I am sure it is coming shortly... look - DECEL". Or for the more initiated " g-splrs ..... r-green ... (wait) (wait) (wait) DECEL".

That is a mess. Most importantly, in either case the focus is directed at troubleshooting a fully operational system instead of monitoring the behaviour of the plane and steering it. A clear case of a badly designed SOP item that is not a guideline and anchor point for crew, but a completely pointless distraction from work. Before we attempted to create a useless solution of our own, Airbus came with the above explanation which works a treat and gently points your eyes where they should be.

IFLY_INDIGO
18th Apr 2008, 09:54
giving standard callouts is good but nothing stops you from speaking up something different, not mentioned in standard callouts, if situation warrants... Airbus SOP recommends standard callouts, but does not inhibits you also from saying something extra... It is just a matter of common sense, I guess.. surely you are going to speak up, if the airplane does not shows sign of deceleration after touchdown, regardless of decel light and reversers deployment... unless you are interested in blasting the fence..:=

triple_2
18th Apr 2008, 13:46
Gromgutten: that's what I thought as well but it's only with an RTO you can call decel if you feel the deceleration and see the speed coming down without decel light. In normal circumstances you only call decel if there is decel light. It's in the FCTM
Cheers :ok:

FlightDetent
20th Apr 2008, 17:07
In normal circumstances you only call decel if there is decel light. It's in the FCTM Can we get a reference on that?