PDA

View Full Version : RAF Lynx?!

High_lander
14th Apr 2008, 21:13
SOURCE (http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/DefenceNews/MilitaryOperations/AirborneSniperSquadTargetsIraqiMilitia.htm)

So, if the second photo wasn't enough of a clue, I did laugh hard when I realised where it had come from!

CLUE- check bottom! Fine quality read!

Lurking123
15th Apr 2008, 04:46
'Bout time. We hear enough abought Army Chinooks, Pumas and even C130s:E

parapauk
15th Apr 2008, 11:17
Yes I noticed that last night as well - slightly worrying coming from the MoD! :=

The Helpful Stacker
15th Apr 2008, 13:56
Perhaps the MoD have let slip what is no doubt inevitable anyway.

You can imagine the conversation between the Treasury and some MoD civil serpent,

Treasury - "We have one Army and one Navy, what do we need an Air Force and two smaller air arms for?"

MoD - "Submitting posture assumed, standing by to receive boarders from the rear."

:{

Groundaphobic
15th Apr 2008, 15:11
yeah...you might be right I s'pose..........OI YOU!!!.....YES YOU......GET YOUR F*&KIN' HANDS OUT OF YER POCKETS..........!!!!!!!!!

Gnd
15th Apr 2008, 16:11
I think that is dangerous as the two smaller Forces are much more efficient and the serpent might see it the other way - what a farce hey?????

The Helpful Stacker
15th Apr 2008, 16:59
..as the two smaller Forces are much more efficient....

Now that is comedy.

I was being lighthearted with my initial comment but can't let that response lie.

Cost of training commissioned AAC pilots vs years they are likely to be effective in role?

Cost of FAA fast jet training vs number of posts that FAA FJ pilots can fill and likelihood of career advancement once in post?

Its possible to see inefficiency in all the services if you look hard enough (and there is much more scope if we step outside of the flying branches).

Chicken Leg
15th Apr 2008, 20:59
Cost of training commissioned AAC pilots vs years they are likely to be effective in role?

Cost of FAA fast jet training vs number of posts that FAA FJ pilots can fill and likelihood of career advancement once in post?

True, but:

RAF c350 bods per aircraft
FAA c30 bods per aircraft
AAC c20 bods per aircraft.

So, best not get into a pi55ing match over effeciencies!

AHQHI656SQN
15th Apr 2008, 21:07
THS your earlier comment...Treasury - "We have one Army and one Navy, what do we need an Air Force and two smaller air arms for?"

The same treasury might say the same about the RAF having it's own little infantry regiment along with the Royal Navy having it's own brigade, where do you want it to end?

insty66
15th Apr 2008, 21:15
where do you want it to end?

I don't want it to start:ok:

Kitbag
16th Apr 2008, 01:48
True, but:

So, best not get into a pi55ing match over effeciencies!

CL, I do hope your arithmetic improves soon if you really are a pilot. RAF manpower 41440 covering 853 aircraft actually comes out at a creditable 48.5ish. Not bad considering the complexity of many of them. Your figures are also somewhat disingenuously skewed if one considers the FAA has approx 6200 people looking after 200 aircraft. That doesn't cover all the support functions required to keep the aircraft in useful places- you know like the boats they are supposed to be on. If you are going to start silly numbers games (i.e plucking figures out of the air) its always good to be accurate or at least hope nobody checks. :ok:

colonel cluster
16th Apr 2008, 08:36
How many posts does it take to go from discussing the real issue of why the MoD cannot even understand the difference between aircraft owned and operated by the different services, to 'my service is bigger and better than yours!'

I doubt Mr Williams even thought about the 'who should own what' b*&ll&ks that gets spouted on here, and was simply either too hurried or 'not bovvered' to get the real facts.

Please, dear God, can we for once work together back here in the UK, just like the guys who are doing the real job on joint ops, and who don't give a t&ss about all this willy waving.

(And it's not even 1000, Grr!)

PS I wonder who screens these articles before they are released!

LOTA
16th Apr 2008, 09:09
Exactly the point, I was going to make, Mon Colonel!

Mr Williams is, I understand, relatively new to the RAF/MOD, so he may well not be aware and didn't think to ask the right question. But is there not someone,with some military expertise/knowledge, responsible in MOD for checking its public output? (I think I know the answer to that already!!!:bored:)

wg13_dummy
16th Apr 2008, 09:12
PS I wonder who screens these articles before they are released!

http://mog.com/pictures/wikipedia/147687/451px-Stevie_Wonder.jpg

NutLoose
16th Apr 2008, 19:01
No doubt the 5 without weapons are given a clip of ammunition and told to take the weapon off the man in front, a Treasury Idea picked up from watching the film, Enemy at the Gates :ugh:

Emerson Cahooners
16th Apr 2008, 19:19
[QUOTE]Quote:

True, but:

So, best not get into a pi55ing match over effeciencies!/QUOTE]

Chicken Leg, I see your pi55ing contest and see you with a:

Who provides the AAC's SE Fits, ATC in Germany, A2 on ops, UK LFS etc etc etc? Oh and be a good boy and add in the REME's that look after your cabs.

and then I'll raise you a:

Lets discuss how many aircraft deployed are on ops as a percentage of total aircraft fleet; shall we start with 60+ AH or maybe the 100 or so Lx?

:} :ok:

Two's in
17th Apr 2008, 01:14
The good news is the Author of the article has corrected it within 48 hours, the depressing news is that the inter-service dick dance goes on relentlessly.

colonel cluster
17th Apr 2008, 08:05
Do you think they read about it on here? Cheers for the update 2's in. Issue closed, but lets hope 'lesson identified'!

May all those continuing the merry d!ck dance contract something green and nasty, followed by aforementioned articles falling off!

Failing that....grow up!