PDA

View Full Version : looking for GA airport with concrete runway in Dublin area

piotrz
14th Apr 2008, 14:15
can somebody recommend quiet GA airport with concret runway in Dublin area?

ACARS
14th Apr 2008, 14:40
Try Weston EIWT. South West of Dublin.Nice little airport with a control Tower,

corsair
14th Apr 2008, 15:45
Try Weston EIWT. South West of Dublin.Nice little airport with a control Tower

Weston is anything but quiet, very busy indeed. But it has a nice long runway and it welcomes all comers.

There is a nice quiet airfield nearby, with two concrete runways, especially quiet at lunchtimes and weekends. But the military in Baldonnel don't like visitors dropping in on them.

There is a VERY quiet airfield near Weston called 'Dolly Grove'. It has a lovely tarmac runway and looks really nice. There's even an AN2 sitting there. But it's very private, so private it doesn't appear on any chart.

That's it. The next nearest hard surface runway is 50Nm away in Abbeyshrule.

SpringHeeledJack
14th Apr 2008, 16:37
Also Gormanston 15miles north along the coast from Dublin, hard runway East/west, used to be Irish Air Corps and i'm pretty sure that i saw someone doing touch and go's a few months ago. Although still military of sorts they might allow you to land there.

Corsair, that's what that place was! Dolly's Grove by staffordstown. I saw it out of the window as i was coming into DUB a while back, and the AN-2 was there as well. http://www.buildingsofireland.ie/cgi-bin/viewsite.cgi?siteid=5023. Who does the plane belong to ? Skydiving club ?

Regards

SHJ

piotrz
14th Apr 2008, 19:13
thank you for your help

ronnie3585
15th Apr 2008, 08:50
As far as I'm aware Dolly's Grove is extremely private, I have never heard of anyone other than the owners and their invitees landing there. Here's an extract from a thread that was running on www.flyinginireland.com a while back;

Hi All,

Glad to see some of you can still use a map to work out co-ordinates! Maybe those NAV classes are worth it. Dolly's Grove is STRICTLY private and permission cannot be obtained to make an approach to our land at the site. Further to this, we would appreciate if people didn't circle overhead at low level (we live between several stud farms) or fly overhead at all without talking to Dublin as aircraft do operate out of the site without notice and some of these are quite fast.

If there are any further questions I'd be happy to answer them either here or through email at [email protected]

Blue Skies,

Rick.

I think it's quite conclusive.

SpringHeeledJack
16th Apr 2008, 18:06
Just a curious question, taking into account Dolly's Grove's position and the nice runway, would there be bizjets using it ? I imagine it might allow discrete visits of horse owners etc to the world-class stud farms in the surrounding area, so perhaps......

If anyone knows, i'd be interested, because the film company doesn't seem heavyweight enough to justify a private runway, especially when Weston, and DUB are around the corner so to speak. PM me if it's too discrete to say in the open ;)

Piotrz, did any of the suggestions help you make a decision ?

Regards

SHJ

Liffy 1M
3rd May 2008, 22:00
Just a curious question, taking into account Dolly's Grove's position and the nice runway, would there be bizjets using it ? I imagine it might allow discrete visits of horse owners etc to the world-class stud farms in the surrounding area, so perhaps......

The aircraft I have most frequently heard using Dolly's Grove is N700EL, a TBM-700. http://www.airliners.net/photo/Socata-TBM-700/1054254/M/