PDA

View Full Version : Instructor Fined for Reds Infringement

Barshifter
12th Apr 2008, 15:12
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/cambridgeshire/7344432.stm

maxdrypower
12th Apr 2008, 15:33
This was always bound to happen and probably will again this summer.
I found this last year on the flyontrack website , may be useful
www.flyontrack.co.uk/redarrows.pdf

BigEndBob
12th Apr 2008, 17:04
Its interesting to note they usually perform at 2-3 events on any given day.
Might be good idea to check if they may transit your area.

During the eighties the Cosford show was on so i stayed well clear down at the Malverns only to have the Reds transit in front of me at 1500 with the wing aircraft 'smoke on', thought i had entered a show!.

moggiee
12th Apr 2008, 19:42
I wonder if the CAA are chasing the goons who baulked the Reds during the 2007 Cosford show? We could see it happen from out garden - the prats didn't even get out of the way when the Arrows were making smoke!

Kiltie
13th Apr 2008, 02:08
The "Reds". This reference reminds me of when pretentious actors refer to their previous roles such as Only Fools and Horses being referred to in trade-speak as ".....when I was working on FOOLS...."

Knight Paladin
13th Apr 2008, 09:21
Good for you Kiltie, thanks for sharing.

moggiee
13th Apr 2008, 11:17
The "Reds". This reference reminds me of when pretentious actors refer to their previous roles such as Only Fools and Horses being referred to in trade-speak as ".....when I was working on FOOLS...."
Sorry -old RAF habit. They were also known as "those To$$ers from Scampton".

jamestkirk
13th Apr 2008, 13:21
Insructors should not make those kind of mistakes. It's quite depressing.

RA(T)'s are normally (or should be) put up and/or drawn on a map in the flying school for all to see.

goatface
13th Apr 2008, 23:15
No excuse, these thing are advertised months in advance in AICs and daily on the notams.

Rather sad to see that Moggiee and Kiltie have such a lack of professionalism and arrogance, perhaps their real identities should be published so we know not to go anywhere near them should they go flying.:rolleyes:

Whirlybird
14th Apr 2008, 07:26
Rather sad to see that Moggiee and Kiltie have such a lack of professionalism and arrogance

What on earth did they say to bring on that response????????????????? Or have some posts been deleted? :confused::confused::confused:

I don't think anyone suggested the instructor had any excuse. He was, it seems, guilty of an absolutely heinous crime - trusting his student to do something simple and get it right. Most instructors do that all the time. After all, we have to let Bloggs out of the nursery at some point. So, for example, most of us let our experienced students do the 'A' check at the start of the day. But if they miss something, it's the instructor's 'fault'.

Moral of the story...don't ever become a flying instructor; it's too risky. :(:(:(

DX Wombat
14th Apr 2008, 08:19
Moggiee and Kiltie have such a lack of professionalism and arrogance, perhaps their real identities should be published so we know not to go anywhere near them should they go flying.I only know Kiltie from his posts in PPRuNe but have to say I have never found either of those descriptions to fit. As for Moggiee, I know him well and a lack of professionalism and arrogance are the last two things I would ever associate with him. I would be very happy to fly with him anytime.

S-Works
14th Apr 2008, 09:09
I don't think anyone suggested the instructor had any excuse. He was, it seems, guilty of an absolutely heinous crime - trusting his student to do something simple and get it right. Most instructors do that all the time. After all, we have to let Bloggs out of the nursery at some point. So, for example, most of us let our experienced students do the 'A' check at the start of the day. But if they miss something, it's the instructor's 'fault'.

Moral of the story...don't ever become a flying instructor; it's too risky.

Sorry Whirly I disagree. It is the Instructors responsibility as PILOT IN COMMAND to check NOTAM. It is disgraceful that he did not. Not only does it set a bad example to the student but it could have endangered life.

As an Instructor I check the NOTAM every day before teaching and then quiz the student to make sure they have done so as well. If they have not then it is a teaching opportunity to improve things.

Moral of the story is the flying Instructor has the opportunity to ensure that the student becomes a competent and safe aviator, this includes proper pre flight planning, inspection etc and not doing so is just lazy teaching.

Lurking123
14th Apr 2008, 09:19
I think the only think kiltie and moggiee are guilty of is digressing; we don't do that on proone, do we? :rolleyes:

Surely this isn't about infringing a RAFAT RA(T), it is about infringing any RA(T)? (Except for those short/no notice ones that are established after you get airborne.)

moggiee
14th Apr 2008, 09:23
Rather sad to see that Moggiee and Kiltie have such a lack of professionalism and arrogance, perhaps their real identities should be published so we know not to go anywhere near them should they go flying.:rolleyes:
What on earth is that about? If calling the clowns who infringe air displays "goons" makes me unprofessional, then guilty as charged!

Goatface - it was not me or Kiltie who flew through the displays, but Captains of light aeroplanes, one of whom was an experienced instructor who should have known better. I'm not advocating the infringement of airshows and aerobatics displays - quite the reverse.

In the case of the original post, it was an experienced FI who was unprofessional enough not to check NOTAMS, trusting his student to do it for him. He has recognised his mistake and taken the punishment.

Last summer, whilst in my own back garden, I myself saw TWO separate infringements of the Cosford airshow by two different aeroplanes. In both cases the Reds had to break off their display, before abandoning it completely and clearing off.

As for abusing the Reds, well that was just friendly banter - just as they would "banter" me for being a truckie (transport pilot), I would banter them for being posers. I have quite a few mates who have been Reds, by the way. If you can't mix humour and professionalism then you're in the wrong "business".

DX Wombat -thanks for the kind words.

Mikehotel152
14th Apr 2008, 09:55
You'd have to agree that a failure by the PiC to check the Notams and call the handy free AIS Information Line on 0500 354 802 to check on Red Arrows displays and Royal flights is very naughty. :=

...there but for the grace of God go I...

Kiltie
14th Apr 2008, 10:02
DX thanks also!

Whirly nope, no posts deleted by me. Just the one p**s-take which moggie joined in with in good spirit.

Goatface look out I'm going flying today!!!!:}

Whirlybird
14th Apr 2008, 11:58
bose-x,

You are absolutely right, of course. I stand corrected. :(

'Chuffer' Dandridge
14th Apr 2008, 12:19
Makes you wonder why some PPLs do this kind of thing, when their instructors are clearly not up to the job....How to fly an aeroplane is just one thing; all the bumpf that goes with it is just as impotant.

Pilot in Command is just that. That includes checking the NOTAMs, and if necessary, checking the stude has checked the NOTAMs (properly!) etc

The buck stops with the PIC I'm afraid, and I bet he's kicking himself (or the student!)...:ugh:

DX Wombat
14th Apr 2008, 19:12
Kiltie and Moggiee, you are both very welcome. :ok: I was merely telling the truth.