PDA

View Full Version : How do controllers brief the next controller in IFR?

richatom
10th Apr 2008, 12:16
Can a controller please explain the aircraft handover process from one controller to the next controller who is in a different physcial location, when flying IFR?

I have watched controllers working together in the same tower, but I don't understand how it is done when the two controllers are not physically co-located.

The next controller generally (though not always!) seems to be expecting my call, and knows exactly who I am etc. Obviously he has my flight plan, but how is this information presented to him? On a bit of paper? Or can he access the info directly from his radar screen? And how is the next controller warned that he will shortly have control of me? By telephone? Or is there some kind of intranet comms?

By way of example, a while back I was on approach to Cannes and had to go-around due to weather, so I announced that I was going around and requested to divert to Nice. The Cannes controller immediately gave me Nice frequency, I announced myself to Nice, and Nice immediately gave me a vector to intercept the ILS. How did the Nice controller know without me telling him that I wanted to divert to Nice? There was no way the Cannes controller had time to communicate that verbally to Nice.

TitanMaster
10th Apr 2008, 12:47
I'm a Coordinator and not a Controller, but I can help you out with understanding how the next control sector knows about you.

This is how it works where I come from. When we process flight plans, they get entered into the main database of our radar network. The network then generates a squawk code which is allocated to your flight plan. Hence, when you get airborne the radar picks up your squawk and thence knows who you are and where you are going. Therefore, all the ATC's helping you through your flight have direct acces to your flight plan (ie, altn aerodromes, routing, etc).

With regards to how the next controller in another physical loctaion knows about you? Well, he/she can see you coming on their screen, or, if its procedural control, the controllers have direct phone lines to the next sector and they pass on all your information to the next controller (alt, eta, routing, etc etc). Controlleers also make use of things called Flight Progress Strips (FPS), which are special strips of paper which hold all relevant flight details on it.

Arrange a visit to your local ATC Centre and go find out how it all works out.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
10th Apr 2008, 13:01
Following on from previous post.. In large centres, flight plans are processed by computer which then present information to all controllers who will be "working" the aircraft. Any changes will be co-ordinated by telephone, sometimes by "co-ordinators", sometimes by the controllers actually working the flight. Most controllers will have direct telephone communications with colleagues in adjacent centres or aerodromes so it's just a case of pushing a button and instant contact is achieved in ones' headset.

For IFR aircraft not flying on airways co-ordination, where necessary, will be achieved by the same telephone network.

Do what TitanMaster suggests and try and spend some time at an ATC unit. Most of the staff are human!

richatom
10th Apr 2008, 14:00
Most controllers will have direct telephone communications with colleagues in adjacent centres or aerodromes so it's just a case of pushing a button and instant contact is achieved in ones' headset.

How does that work if both control centres have several controllers? Are controllers "paired"? Or is it the work of the coordinators to route incoming calls to the appropriate controller?

I have spent some time in local ATC, and would like to do it again. But not always possible to get access, and not always possible to ask questions.

rej
10th Apr 2008, 15:00
If you are flying around receiving a service from a LARS controller there are 3 ways in which you may be transferred to another controller as follows:

Freecall. This is the simplest method when a controller passes none of your details on to the subsequent controller. You will be given the appropriate frequency for the next agancy and when you call them you will be expected to pas all your details such as callsign, type, level, departure and estination aerodromes etc.

Continue with. This is when the radar controller, or VFR controller, has passed pertinent details relating to you and your flight but you have not been subjected to a radar handover (ie you have been prenoted). Examples of when this may be used are when you are joining CAS and have prevously been instructed to 'report 2-way contact' with the relevany ACC or when you are being transfered from ACC to a terminal unit or from a radar controller to an aerodrome controller.

Contact. This is when the controllers have conducted a formal radar handover via landline and the receiving controller has formally identified you. In order for a radar handover to take place, a number of criteria must be met as laid down in the relevant ATC documents.

If the receiving unit has several conrtrollersand frequencies, then the receiving units will, during a prenote or handover, select the most appropriate control position and frequency for your task. If you are subject to a freecall then you will inevitably be sent to the ICF.

I hope this has answered your question.

Furthermore, if you are in receipt of a radar service and IMC then I would ask the controller for a radr handover to the next agency.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
10th Apr 2008, 16:08
<<How does that work if both control centres have several controllers? Are controllers "paired"? Or is it the work of the coordinators to route incoming calls to the appropriate controller? >>

Control Centres may have a hundred controllers working at any one time. Telephone lines are frequently "direct". So one controller presses a button on his telephone keyboard and it rings on the keyboard of a controller at the next centre/aerodrome. There is nobody "in the middle", so to speak. Co-ordinators (who are also usually controllers) may answer some telephone calls; it depends on local agreements.

10th Apr 2008, 17:03
At Swanwick co-ordination of flights from controller to controller is done electronically. A electronic flight progress strip is sent from one sector to another ususally on the basis of how close the aircraft is to the new sector based on time. This gives the next controller the relevant details of the flight and the level it will come at. If the level is acceptable then you hit a button and its co-ordinated. No phone calls. Internally at Swanwick the telephone is used when you need to do something that can't be done by just using the EFPS ie, getting climb/descent or changing the level after the flight has been accepted.

Externally between centres it is still done electronically, a activation message is sent from one ACC to the other, this message activates the FPL that is stored on the computer and the EFPS is produced along with a paper strip for the radar controller. The telephone is not used in the majority of co-ordinations.

As for the phones its just like phoning your mate. You press the button, the exchage dials the number and someone picks up. We have quickdial keys so that we don't have to spend time typing in the long number.

richatom
11th Apr 2008, 18:40
Thank you - all very helpful.

Spitoon
11th Apr 2008, 19:33
I have to say that with some of the handovers I've had I think the primary method has been telepathy! Still, I guess you get as good as you give (or something like that).

ayrprox
11th Apr 2008, 22:34
This all sounds very hi tech! at Scoacc we use carrier pigeons to notify the next sector. its a bit hit and miss but 50% of messages get through :E
just joking folks;)

zjxgator
17th Apr 2008, 13:30
In the US everything is automated. The flight plans are all entered into the computer, which then sends the flight plan information to each facility that you fly into. The controller "hands-off" the data block that has your information to the next controller. The data block contains up to 4 lines of information on your flight and moves with your aircraft target on the radar screen. If you call for flight following as a VFR flight the information will be entered by the first controller you talk to.