PDA

View Full Version : Cargolux fuel dump.

linmar
10th Apr 2008, 06:50
Yesterday I was coming into LUX and a Cargolux 747 was dumping fuel over DIK vor. Never heard what the problem was, anyone knows?
I believe the flight was Cargolux 744.

elcapo
10th Apr 2008, 11:35
They didn't dump fuel over DIK, they had a Flaps problem and went over DIK for some time to burn off fuel. Came back to LUX where a uneventful landing was performed.
BTW, the only place here around where dumping is allowed is over the Northern sea.

dontdoit
10th Apr 2008, 11:42
Allowed? I'll be dumping right onto short final whether allowed or not, thank you very much.

linmar
10th Apr 2008, 12:19
Ok. Must have misheard ATC when they told me another aircraft was dumping fuel over DIK or they didn't get it right either.

Thanks for the reply.

Basil
10th Apr 2008, 12:27
dontdoit,
Yes, reminds me of the old chestnut: "You can either have the fuel or the whole plane!"

ATC Watcher
10th Apr 2008, 21:11
" dontdoit " : do not mix up a normal request to dump fuel with an emergency situation .

What "elcapo" said for the Belgian/Lux FIR is correct : if you make a request to ATC to dump fuel , you will be directed over the North sea, in a special area.
But if you declare an emergency , you can dump where ever you like, and at the altitude you like.

sled dog
11th Apr 2008, 11:28
LX-NCV lost a part of a mid section flap on t/o from Lux. Fuel burnt off before returning to base.