PDA

View Full Version : Union Thugs --- Wall street Journal

Skidoo
9th Apr 2008, 14:32
Wall street journal blog:

Please read it and add some logic.

http://blogs.wsj.com/deals/2008/04/0...#comment-46146 (http://blogs.wsj.com/deals/2008/04/08/delta-northwest-pilots-need-not-apply/?mod=WSJBlog#comment-46146)

Mercenary Pilot
9th Apr 2008, 14:46
Misinformed crap published by Rupert Murdoch's new rag. :yuk:

411A
9th Apr 2008, 15:34
However much some (perhaps very many) pilots might not like the present environment in most US, and indeed some foreign airlines as well, they had better get used to it, for it is not likely to change anytime soon.

Those that continually resist change are doomed to extinction, sooner or later.

TopBunk
9th Apr 2008, 16:50
Those that continually resist change are doomed to extinction, sooner or later.

Does that include you with your inability to move forward from the 1970's technology that is the Tristar.:rolleyes:

Huck
9th Apr 2008, 16:58
The decision not to fight age 65 gashed the belly of ALPA. Recovery from such a wound is by no means a sure thing.

delwy
9th Apr 2008, 17:10
411A 5,089 posts of which 5,088 are are variations on the same theme. What exactly is your hang-up? Or do you consider those of us who disagree with your view of the world just to be stupid ?

P.S. To everybody else, sorry for feeding the troll.

woodpecker
9th Apr 2008, 17:52
He's on most sensible contributors "ignore" list.

Fox One
9th Apr 2008, 18:01
Good post, and dead right. That is the single biggest problem with BA pilots, BACC in particular, and BALPA in generics.
(It's also a problem with pilots generally I must say - reasonable motor skills in a flat career structure can make you think you know better about everything - you MUST be gifted, because this 200 tons of Boeing has just followed you 5000 miles!))

411A
9th Apr 2008, 20:03
That is the single biggest problem with BA pilots, BACC in particular, and BALPA in generics.
(It's also a problem with pilots generally I must say - reasonable motor skills in a flat career structure can make you think you know better about everything - you MUST be gifted, because this 200 tons of Boeing has just followed you 5000 miles!))

Oh yes, this is the trait of many pilots...they know a lot about flying the aeroplane (as they absolutely should, make no mistake) but when it comes to management, and especially marketing in an airline, some pilots are deaf and blind, in the extreme.

Does that include you with your inability to move forward from the 1970's technology that is the Tristar.

If you never have flown one, you would never know...:rolleyes:

Or do you consider those of us who disagree with your view of the world just to be stupid ?

No, not stupid, just misinformed....sometimes in the extreme.:}

sevenstrokeroll
9th Apr 2008, 20:54
Pilots are hardly "union thugs".

however, the NW/Delta merger is a victim of ALPA merger policy. Something that should be so simple has blown up in ALPA's face. Right now, my airline is voting to get rid of alpa and make an in house union.

All over seniority.

In the US Senate seniority controls everything. And it starts when you start as a senator.

Why not as a pilot? Flight attendants...date of hire. How easy. No room for fooling around. The person hired in 1990 is senior to the one hired in 2000.

ALPA could save this merger by changing to a strict DATE OF HIRE integration of seniority lists.

On April 17, the results of the vote at my airline will be made public. If it goes as I hope, ALPA will suddenly hit a microburst. Other airlines are watching and if ALPA goes at one airline, it will soon go away at other airlines.

I recall that if every pilot at our airline worked for nothing...no benefits, no nothing...the airline still would have lost money!

Southwest has the fuel hedging advantage. I'll bet some airlines are wishing they hedged fuel at 70bl!

411A
9th Apr 2008, 21:02
On April 17, the results of the vote at my airline will be made public. If it goes as I hope, ALPA will suddenly hit a microburst. Other airlines are watching and if ALPA goes at one airline, it will soon go away at other airlines.

This could well be true.

However, it should be remembered that...when an airline is acquired by another, the acquiring airline normally has the say, with regards to senority of pilots.
And, so it shall remain...normally.
Disagree if you must, but these are the facts, like it or not....and I suspect many will not.

Tough beans.

Don't like it, and unable to accept binding arbitration, look elsewhere for your benefits and hopefull success.

sevenstrokeroll
9th Apr 2008, 21:30
determining the airline that did the acquiring is a bit tough and there is enough documentation to question whether america west did the acquiring.

it is rather complex.

but , for the record, the flight attendants at both america west and usair were and are represented by the same union and they got DATE OF HIRE integration.

so, the acquiring bit isn't really germane.

Paradise Lost
9th Apr 2008, 22:29
It took me nearly an hour to read the WSJ posts.......and I thought that Ppruners were a vitriolic,rude bunch of bloggers! Seems that we don't have a monopoly on uninformed, ill-mannered bigots after all.

Visual Calls
9th Apr 2008, 22:58
Why shouldn't passengers tell pilots how to fly aircraft? After all, pilots who've never been CEOs seem to think they know everything about how to run a company.

A lot of pilots have worked in the business world prior to going flying. A lot of pilots run highly successful businesses in their spare time. A lot of pilots are well able to read and analyse financial reports and assess how good a job the CEO is doing. A lot of pax were not airline pilots before they became pax.

sevenstrokeroll
10th Apr 2008, 01:16
a lot of pilots can read the newspapers and see that their airline lost money/went bankrupt/is out of business.

if a plane crashes, the pilot is the first suspect

if a business crashes the CEO is the first suspect.

I lost my pension, the CEO got a 30 million dollar bonus. The airline went bankrupt. Weeks before, he said : bankruptcy will not happen.

yeah, right

Old Fella
10th Apr 2008, 04:05
Interesting that 411A's suggestion that maybe Top Bunk has never flown the L1011 has not been responded to. I don't know why 411A has spent so long on the Tristar but if comfort and a great crew environment are among his reasons I can well understand. Moving to a Boeing flight deck by comparison is like getting into the YMCA after having lived in a high class hotel. :ok:

david1300
10th Apr 2008, 05:40
Quote: "A lot of pilots run highly successful businesses in their spare time."

Aren't these the same guys/girls who complain about hours and shifts? Spare time - wish I had some (and I'm not a pilot), but I do run a business.