View Full Version : Why do Lufthansa pilots call a 737 a 'Bobby'?

Yellow Snow
8th Apr 2008, 22:34
Heard this a couple of times at LL and we were discussing it in the tower today, anyone have an answer?

The only reference I can find on the internet is a childs airplane with wheels they can sit on, in DLH colours and called a Bobby, but it doesn't look much like a 737. See it here (http://shop.mobileation.com/s.nl/it.A/id.2632/.f?sc=9&category=362)

A Very Civil Pilot
9th Apr 2008, 07:53
Can't be - your photo is only single pilot!

ETOPS
9th Apr 2008, 07:58
It comes from the american slang "Bobby socks" denoting a young kid. Thus the 737 fleet was seen as very junior - only fit for "kids" to fly.......

Yellow Snow
9th Apr 2008, 09:33
Cheers ETOPS!

Very good AVCP;)

Denti
9th Apr 2008, 10:29
Actually there is another explanation that is good enough as well. Back when the 737 entered service with Lufthansa they handed out a small book to kids about an airplane family, the kid in that family was a 737 called Bobby, the parents where to other kinds of boeings, i believe 727 and 707 but i'm not entirely sure about that.

hvogt
9th Apr 2008, 12:44
Actually there is another explanation that is good enough as well. Back when the 737 entered service with Lufthansa they handed out a small book to kids about an airplane family, the kid in that family was a 737 called Bobby, the parents where to other kinds of boeings, i believe 727 and 707 but i'm not entirely sure about that.

That's what German Wikipedia says.

IFixPlanes
9th Apr 2008, 16:37
The story was written from Lufthansa Stewardess Esmeralda Tirolf.
Here you get a description (sorry only in German):
http://konzern.lufthansa.com/de/downloads/presse/newslink/newslink_2001_06/texte/04-010t.zip

Yellow Snow
9th Apr 2008, 23:01
Great stuff thanks for the replies.

Does anyone fancy translating the story????????:)

gearpins
30th Apr 2008, 14:12
My name is Bobby
Lufthansa stewardess Esmeralda Tirolf describes for children aviation

Hello, my name is Bobby and I am the small aircraft from Lufthansa. Actually, I correctly Boeing 737, but that does not call me, because I think that it is a funny nickname to have. I would like to present you with a few things about me and tell flying. My dad is almost the largest airplane, what it exists in the world. As my dad? Also, he is huge and has a bump on the head. The bump is called "Upper Deck." This, I believe, English and means something like "upper floor". In this bump passengers can also sit, and not just in the abdomen, like me. Of course, my dad is also Boeing, and then 747 at the end - but they all call him Jumbo. Is just a pity that I did not see it so often, because he always far and long wegfliegt. Well, there are also children who are alone without parents wegfliegen, and they also have no fear - and I will have no more baby, but a real airplane.

Our feet are landing gear. On the ground, or we would roll with it. If we then in the air, we can quickly hide in our belly, so that the wind can not be herumpusten and cold - or even wet from the rain ... Igitt, I do not like the good suffer. Therefore, I prefer my feet always the same, when I fly.

The Allernotwendigste what I need to fly, my wings. On the right doll I am proud! Among the wings left and right is something that looks like huge ostrich eggs. These are the engines. They make the thrust - as the engine in a car.

Further back, on my end, seh, "I like Donald Duck. I had a real Entenpo with three small wings on it. One of them is perpendicular to the top - a kind of Haifischflosse. Of course I can not shake like a small dog with his Stummelschwänzchen, but I fly so curves ...

The book has Esmeralda Endruweit under her maiden name Tirolf. Since 1985, they flew as a stewardess with Lufthansa, is now with the Lufthansa flight captain Horst Endruweit married and has one ten months old son.

This book is for Juliana, the crying because they felt the plane was determined as much fear in the dark as to fly them. For Sven, whose headquarters completely apart we had built for his Lieblingsmurmel again. For Nadine and Sascha, which only the window seat keilten, then einträchtig all the desserts umsitzenden passengers verspeisten, sometime before then giftgrün nausea voluntarily "stärben" wanted and finally before landing in Sydney giggling announced that they would certainly in Australia a koala bears for the home to steal.

It was written for all the many children who every day - their cars, dolls and teddies firmly clamped under the arm - on little feet in our Jets stumble. Some see the fear even when embarking on - others come on board as experienced frequent flyer. But no matter how - they have almost all big eyes surprising if the inner life of our aircraft very carefully consider ... and then they want to climb a mountain to get rid of questions.

Under the motto: "What I say` that `s Baby," I have listened to them well, try to answer them and I thought about how this or that could explain some understandable, "Esmeralda Endruweit writes in the foreword to her Children's book. The drawings, has also made a flyer, Helmut Mauch, the flight instructor for helicopters and fixed wing aircraft.

The new edition of the illustrated book "My name is Bobby" is active in publishing under the ISBN number. 3-932653-09-2 published.

BU
04-021P
Esmeralda Endruweit with her ten months old son Christopher

Pugilistic Animus
30th Apr 2008, 15:22
That sounds like the governator of california did the translation:}

Yes indeed-- that photo is a 737!!!:}

She's a baby--just a baby that lil Boeing