PDA

View Full Version : Orlando to Key West

gfunc
8th Apr 2008, 21:02
Hi Folks,

It seems that just about everyone and his dog has been flying in Florida, so I'd thought that I would ask for some advice for my first trip down to there.

In early may I have a conference in Orlando, then the week after I am due to give a talk in Key West. Since I'm going to get mileage anyways I figured that I could rent a C172 and fly myself down (with the backup option of a rental car if the wx goes south.

First of I'm thinking of renting from Air Orlando at KORL - a quick search of the forum seems to suggest they are OK in a relative sense. Any words of warning out there?

Second of all using skyvector I've worked out a route following the east coast all the way down. I'm hoping to stay on the clear side of the sea breeze and be closer to people/boats rather than alligators if the donkey quits. It looks like the C172 could make it non-stop, but I'll take a refuel/defuel stop on the way - any recommendations? I'm think of Pompano Beach (KPMP) as a possible.

Does anyone have any tips about getting around or through Miami's airspace? It looks like you could get around/under the controlled stuff and still route down the coast, but I'll rather speak to someone and get permission to go where I would like.

The rest of the trip looks fairly straightforwards beside the balloon and eternal crosswind at KEYW and the return will be the opposite of the outbound.

I'm looking for any hints and tips people have!

Cheers,

Gareth.

mcgoo
8th Apr 2008, 22:12
Hi, I flew Ormond beach to the Keys early last year as part of my commercial, I stopped and refuelled at Marathon rather than Key West as it was a lot cheaper, as you say I went down the coast as well, I had called wxbrief and got the weather and was advised to go, I had planned and filed for the proper VFR route which takes you down to the West of Miami but on the way down ATC gave me a choice of continuing down the VFR route (over the swamps) or heading for the coast North of Palm Beach and following the coast all the way down below 1000ft, I chose the latter, you do get busy though as there are a lot of airfields down the East coast and you will constantly be transferring between the various approach and tower frequencies, once past Miami the opposite is true, it gets very quiet, an excellent flight though, lots to see and do, the scenery is stunning and if you get the same clearance, most of the time you are flying lower than most of the hotels. Pm me if you want any info.

generalspecific
9th Apr 2008, 03:29
Have done the route down the coast that Mr Mcgoo describes many a time. Albeit in a heli so I get an easier pass from ATC.. See if you can get the roting though, ATC are very helpful and they hand you down from one controller to the next with a "contact x on xx freq" very helpful and v low stress.

Just make sure you wear the old lifejacket as there is a chunk of "too far to glide" between Miami and the first of the keys..

Have fun its a magical trip on a good day..

Bri85
9th Apr 2008, 05:16
Ive flown from KJAX to KEYW many times, on the multi I just cut thru the everglades straight to EYW (which is a time/fuel saver) but on the single you have to follow the east coast via miami and on to the keys. Since Im further up north I stop in West Palm Beach to Refuel (I always fly on the heavy side/ fuel limited) But most people that solo down there, always stop on marathon refuel then head to keywest. Good Luck :ok:

dont overfil
9th Apr 2008, 09:53
Air Orlando are good to deal with. I've rented from them many times and will be again in a couple of weeks.
Flew to key west a few years ago from Kissimmee and routed via VORs PHK and DHP. We flew above Miami controlled airspace which stops at 7500 feet if my memory is correct. This was much easier than the east coast route when it comes to radio work, if not as pretty. We decended to 1500 feet once clear of Miami.
Our flight time was 3 hours 10 min. On my limit in an old 172 but effortless in a new one.
Remember to file a DVFR flight plan.

fernytickles
9th Apr 2008, 12:11
Gareth,

airnav.com is a great tool for info about airports and FBOs.

Also, fltplan.com is good for filing (if you intend to) and weather.

Both websites have feedback facilities which are handy.

You haven't mentioned it so I guess its not in your plans, but I'd give Opa Locka a miss. Have been there in a Citabria & a Citation and both times the service was pretty poor.

North Perry (KHWO) is a good place to stop. My husband landed there this week in his Clipped Wing Cub, which was cared for & washed - very nice :ok:

Hope you have a great trip!

dont overfil
9th Apr 2008, 15:23
You must call them as you will enter their airspace tracking along the keys.
We were asked to remain 3 miles offshore and were rewarded with a magnificent closeup of a C130 as it smoked overhead.
They presumably don't take you the otherside because of the balloon.

modrocker
9th Apr 2008, 16:39
Nice comentry with pictures Flying down the Keys.
http://www.colinbeveridge.com/travelarticle.asp?article=45

polohippo
9th Apr 2008, 20:17
I've done it both East coast and West coast, if you want it easy then you could do it on the West coast. You could effectively get out of Orlando and not speak to anyone until you get to Key West and speak to the US Navy. Although there is not much to see after Everglades City and there is no beach if the engine fails.

The East coast would be a little more challenging but Miami may vector you around as they don't want you near them on occasion.

Marathon is the best place to stop for fuel, it is way cheaper than KEYW.

The Navy will want you on the south of the Keys and yes probably over the water too, just remember KEYW is the small strip to the west, however inviting the Naval Base looks don't set up for finals, THEY WON'T be HAPPY!!

It's a great trip, have fun!!

gfunc
10th Apr 2008, 02:09
Wow thanks for the replies everyone!

It looks like the route I picked was reasonable and I've already reserved the a/c from Air Orlando, who have been very helpful.

Thanks especially for the tips about cheap(er) fuel in Marathon.

I think I'll rather talk to a few people and keep low to entertain the missus, who is coming along. I'm due to give a talk at the national weather service office and the guys have told me that the runway is built in completely the wrong direction with a permanent 90 deg crosswind, so I'll practice those x-wind landings before I head out.

Has anyone got any pictures to share?

Thanks again and I'll let you know how I get on.

Cheers,

Gareth.

mcgoo
10th Apr 2008, 08:03
PM me your email address and i'll send you some pics later on.

gfunc
10th May 2008, 17:47
Hi Folks,

Just to end the story, I successfully completed my trip from Orlando to Key West this week. Thanks to everyone for their help and suggestions.

The folks at Air Orlando were great and the aircraft was well appointed (CD player, FM radio and autopilot - what novelties). It was a decent price ($130 p/h including tax). On the way down I routed to Pompano beach then low down the shore until reaching Key Largo. ATC services were great, including the busy Orland and Miami approach controllers. I had flight following both ways and my favourite quote of the trip was definately "N826SP cleared along the shore at or BELOW 500ft". I night stopped in Marathon (cheaper accomodation) and made my way to Key Wet the next day.

On the way back I went wet of Miami via Boca Raton, which was a bit odd as we were the only piston single on the airfield and fuel was more expendive than at Key West ($7 a gallon!). The good new is that not only was this a great trip I think it counts as a qualifying cross country for a CPL.

For anyone interested I have (a lot of) photos online:

http://picasaweb.google.com/garethfantastic/

Definately a recommended trip!

Thanks again for all your input guys!

Cheers,

Gareth.

dont overfil
10th May 2008, 18:22
Congratulations. Is the USA not just the best for hospitality?
I'm just back from touring the bahamas in N775SP from Air Orlando.
DO