PDA

View Full Version : Adding a foreign national rating onto a UK issued JAA PPL

Capt. Spock
8th Apr 2008, 16:14
Hello,

I hold a UK issued JAA PPL and would be interested towing gliders in another JAA member state. For this I would need to complete a nationally recognized glider towing rating in the state where the towing is to take place.

Has anyone experience of adding a foreign national rating onto a UK issued JAA PPL? Is it possible and what is involved?

UK CAA couldn't give a clear answer but promised to get back to me.

Thanks.

LH2
8th Apr 2008, 16:55
No personal experience, but I believe you do not add it to you UK licence as such, you just get a loose bit of paper with your foreign national qualification, and you carry that along with your UK licence.

At least that seems to be what the French do. Have you tried speaking to your local (i.e., non-UK CAA)?

PlasticPilot
9th Apr 2008, 18:59
No experience either, but two years ago, I renewed my IR rating (IR(A) on a swiss issued JAA PPL(A)) in France. All I had to do was to send the French paper stating the exam result to the swiss FOCA (equivalent of CAA). It took less than one week before I got my formal renewal.

Capt. Spock
9th Apr 2008, 19:14
Thank you for your input.

I have ask my local CAA and they are willing to procede with the instructions the UK CAA will give.

Capt. Spock
28th Apr 2008, 15:04
For further information for people with same kind of trouble.

UK CAA refused to the add the rating onto my PPL as there is no such rating in the UK. However my local CAA is willing to find a way to endorse me with the rating.

MIKECR
28th Apr 2008, 15:28
Your quite correct, there is no such 'glider towing' rating in the UK. Its simply training 'as required'.

Surely its just a case of your UK JAA PPL being acceptable to the country you will be towing in??