PDA

View Full Version : Can you remember the movie which...?

Whittleburn
8th Apr 2008, 16:07
...opens with a flight crew dealing with multiple failures and crashing, but this turns out to be a simulator exercise attempting to recreate a flight which the real crew managed to bring in against all odds. Some have suggested it was 'Crash Landing: The Rescue of Flight 232', but I don't remember Heston being in it and have a feeling it might have been a made for TV movie.

Any offers?

Grytbakk
8th Apr 2008, 16:21
You're probably thinking of "Falling from the sky: Flight 174" (alt. title "Freefall: Flight 174"). It's the story about the Air Canada 767 that ran out of fuel at 41.000ft.

The Gimli Glider:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gimli_Glider

Pugilistic Animus
8th Apr 2008, 17:22
you could be talking about UA 232 with Capt's. Al Haynes and Danny Fitch and the FO[:O]---I believe the movie was " Crash of United 232"

regarding another crash scene--- in the movie with Tom hanks on that island---I can't recall that one now---but the 'MD-11 crash scene has always defied my understanding --:ugh:

first a weather diversion-OK---then radio failure/HF static ok--then Oceanic Dead reckoning plots did they lose the ALL of the INS's/stand by navigation---but OK:\

---then an explosive decompression then an Emergency decent---did the weather damage the hull---but prior to that time their RADAR showed they were diverted about 20nm around---but then why ditch, perhaps at the lower altitude they didn't have enough fuel to divert?? so a controlled ditching was the only option---they must have passed their depressurized point of no return---but why not get as close to land as possible to land while having some fuel but better chances of rescue--

However, the Movie depicts an apparent loss of control ---I've never seen such exotic Swiss cheese---and also How did FedEx manage to get the approval to put an MD-11 FD on an A310;)

Let the Pprune accident investigation board get to work:}

A Very Civil Pilot
8th Apr 2008, 18:11
first a weather diversion-OK---then radio failure/HF static ok--then Oceanic Dead reckoning plots did they lose the ALL of the INS's/stand by navigation---but OK

---then an explosive decompression then an Emergency decent---did the weather damage the hull---but prior to that time their RADAR showed they were diverted about 20nm around---but then why ditch, perhaps at the lower altitude they didn't have enough fuel to divert?? so a controlled ditching was the only option---they must have passed their depressurized point of no return---but why not get as close to land as possible to land while having some fuel but better chances of rescue--

sounds alot like my last sim. (at the end of it I wished that I was on a desert island)

vs69
8th Apr 2008, 18:24
I believe it was called A Thousand Heroes..... check out amazon, not a bad film and made use of the infamous footage shot through the peri fence as a/c was about to land and the subsequent impact.