PDA

View Full Version : Skydiving - Private Drop

northcave
7th Apr 2008, 15:44
Private drop request (location UK)

I know many of you will frown against this but please respect the disciplines of others. Dropping skydivers from private planes is very common and well recognised in the US.

Anyway, I know of the reprecautions for both pilots and jumpers of doing it in the UK but if there is any EXPERIENCED pilots out there that fancy a bit of fun and would be willing to drop me out of your private plane please make yourself know by PM'ing me.

Kind Regards

--------------------------
Please refrain from posting nasty replies. If you're genuinely interest please get in touch, if not just ignore this post.

goatface
7th Apr 2008, 22:59
The two things you'll be up against in the UK (and quite rightly so) are:

1) Lack of appropriate AOC - UK parachute operators have to satisfy the CAA that they are fit and proper people to do the job for hire and reward and it's absolutely right that they should have to.

2) Insurance - I would wager that the average non AOC operator would not be insured to cover any sort of barmy idea such as you propose.

What you are proposing is certainly unsafe and bordering on the ridiculous, for the same cost of an hours hire of a C172 you can carry out your dream with people who are professionally trained and qualified to do it, more to the point, you probably won't be breaking the law.

twelveoclockhigh
8th Apr 2008, 06:35
It would be highly illegal - all jumps away from a dropzone require a display permission.

Individual aircraft used for parachuting need to be cleared for it (usually mods are required - taking out seats, doors etc) but an AOC is not needed for parachute operations - I think you can use a private category aircraft with a ppl (providing you don't pay him).

The operators are cleared by the CAA but that is in respect of the dropzone and their operations manual, which is based on the BPA's ops manual if they are a BPA approved dropzone.

scooby79
8th Apr 2008, 13:39
Doubt you will find anyone as not worth it for the pilot. Not that stupid of an idea as someone posted unless you are not already a licensed skydiver, if not it is very stupid. Used to see it in the states a lot, piper cub, C150, pitts etc. If you have a good rig and think about how you are going to exit and there is no chance of the container (rig) opening on the way out it can be done without too much risk. I would be more than happy to drop you out of the plane I currently fly at the location where we operate which happens to be a skydiving centre, £19 rather than £100+ for a private aircraft.

I assume you are a licensed skydiver. If you are not and have got your hands on a parachute, do not use it. Seriously don't do it, you may think it is an easy thing to do which it is once you have done some jumps with instructors. Take today for example, a student on her first jump having done 8 hours of ground instruction jumped with two instructors, she did nothing and they had to open her parachute. Thats after 8 hours of ground school. Not unusual either and that is why you jump with two very experienced guys/girls on your first few jumps. Another thing that would be likely to happen is you would start a turn in freefall that would get quicker and quicker untill you passed out or hit the ground. I guess you already know all this as I doubt anyone would be stupid enough to ask if they didn't jump.

Mike Cross
8th Apr 2008, 13:53
Article 67 of the Air Navigation Order (which is UK Law)

Sorry, I know this isn't the response you want but I'd hate someone to end up being nicked because they didn't know what they were doing.

Dropping of persons and grant of parachuting permissions
67 (1) A person shall not drop, be dropped or be permitted to drop to the surface or jump from an aircraft flying over the United Kingdom except under and in accordance with the terms of either a police air operator's certificate or a parachuting permission granted by the CAA under this article.
(2) For the purposes of this article “dropping” includes projecting and lowering.
(3) Notwithstanding the grant of a police air operator's certificate or a parachuting permission, a person shall not drop, be dropped or be permitted to drop from an aircraft in flight so as to endanger persons or property.
(4) An aircraft shall not be used for the purpose of dropping persons unless:
(a) there is a certificate of airworthiness issued or rendered valid in respect of that aircraft under the law of the country in which the aircraft is registered and that certificate or the flight manual for the aircraft includes an express provision that it may be used for that purpose and the aircraft is operated in accordance with a written permission granted by the CAA under this article; or
(b) the aircraft is operated under and in accordance with the terms of a police air operator's certificate.
(5) Every applicant for and every holder of a parachuting permission shall make available to the CAA if requested to do so a parachuting manual and shall make such amendments or additions to such manual as the CAA may require.
(6) The holder of a parachuting permission shall make the manual available to every employee or person who is or may engage in parachuting activities conducted by him.
(7) The manual shall contain all such information and instructions as may be necessary to enable such employees or persons to perform their duties.
(8) Nothing in this article shall apply to the descent of persons by parachute from an aircraft in an emergency.
(9) Nothing in this article shall prohibit the lowering of any person in an emergency or for the purpose of saving life.
(10) Nothing in this article shall prohibit the lowering of any person from a helicopter to the surface if there is a certificate of airworthiness issued or rendered valid in respect of the helicopter under the law of the country in which it is registered and that certificate or the flight manual for the helicopter includes an express provision that it may be
used for that purpose.

northcave
8th Apr 2008, 16:27
Sorry i wasn't going to bother replying here goes as i think there is a tad of confusion here.

Yes of course I know the BPA regs and yes i know it is against the regs of an private pilot.

A yes of course I am a qualified skydiver. You would have to be an utter crazy person to jump out of a plane after obtaining a random parachute from somewhere. :}

As Scooby points out i have friends in the US than jump from their friends private planes regularly and very safely. Obviously that is the US and we're in the UK. So i know you all have good intentions at heart but i already know of the legalities over here (or should i say bureaucracies).

If someone is interested in dropping a "qualified skydivier" with a perfectly good rig out of their plane in a very discreet location, then PM me.

:=

hoodie
8th Apr 2008, 16:39
...i think there is a tad of confusion here.Where's the confusion? They say it's against the law; you're saying that what you're asking for is against the law. No confusion so far as I can see.

northcave
8th Apr 2008, 16:56
Hoodie don't twist words. If you have something to get off your chest go argue with your wife. You know what i meant :D

LH2
8th Apr 2008, 17:16
Mike Cross has indirectly given you the right answer, which is, discuss your wishes with someone from an approved skydiving operation (the guys at your regular DZ should do) to see if they would be agreeable in principle. Then call the CAA, tell them what you want to do and ask them how you go about obtaining the necessary permission.

Plan B: Go to another jurisdiction which is not so picky about these things and try it there. From what you say, the States might be an option. Saudi Arabia is also a distinct possibility--I was invited to join a bunch of guys who would every now and then "get hold" of an Herc (don't ask :suspect:) and go jumping out the back.

As a skydiver and a pilot I don't think it's a bad idea per se, with the provisos given by Scooby, but you've got to go about it the right way.

flybmi
8th Apr 2008, 17:17
Hoodie don't twist words. If you have something to get off your chest go argue with your wife. You know what i meant

We all know what you mean.

You want to find a pilot to let you jump out his private plane; which we all know is illegal, but you want us to turn a blind eye.

Now obviously we can't stop you - this is just the internet - but just because it's done in the US doesn't mean it's still safe to do it here.

Don't turn up on a professional pilot forum and ask for something we all know is so obviously illegal, not to mention dangerous. You're a qualified sky diver, you of all people should know the rules and risks.

If you want to dive, do it properly. If you want to do it the US way, go to the US.

Be away with you, you've got off lightly so far.

northcave
8th Apr 2008, 17:59
Thanks to those for all the constructive advice.

I'll leave you all alone now :ok:

PPRuNe Radar
9th Apr 2008, 00:36
As per the ANO, it's illegal in the UK ... end of story.