PDA

View Full Version : FISO exams

amundsen1911
6th Apr 2008, 10:08
Hello,

just wondering if anyone could tell me what level of education you need to obtain a FISO licence and how difficult the exams are. i.e. is it possible for someone of average intelligence to get one.

Cheers

RA

goatface
6th Apr 2008, 15:59
With "average intelligence" you'd probably have no problem in obtaining the licence.

To be able to validate at an airfield and whether you are competent to do the job is a completely different matter.
Any job witin the ATC field requires high high degree of common sense, the ability to adapt to new procedures, to be able to react instantly to any given situation and make the right decision every time.

If you can do that, then you'll be OK.

Dunregulatin
6th Apr 2008, 16:34
No particular level of education required. Syllabus is in CAP 410 and requirements in CAP 427 (on CAA web site). Comments about validation are very apposite tho'. Fiso units vary from the very quiet to the very busy. On the job training standards are very variable too.

Pick your spot with care!

davidd
2nd Jun 2008, 16:12
Also of note, if you are the holder of a CAA/JAA PPL you are exempt from the medical requirement and the Nav & Met Exam, you will need to take the FISO Air Law exam, as goatface points out, validation is a different matter.

Gingerbread Man
2nd Jun 2008, 21:35
Slight hijack, but is a FISO licence part of the licencing process for an ATCO? What I mean is, could I at my local airfield on my days off once i'm an ATCO, should the fancy take me?

Cheers

Ginger ;)

Talkdownman
2nd Jun 2008, 22:09
No. FIS is not ATC. ATS, yes. ATC, no.
You need to read CAP427.
http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/CAP427.PDF
For exemptions see Chapter 2 Section 4.

Gingerbread Man
6th Jun 2008, 14:44
Thank you. I was under the impression that a FISO was required to operate at an A/G station, but this seems not to be the case.

Cheers

Ginger

Spitoon
6th Jun 2008, 15:02
Ginger, CAP 452 (http://www.caa.co.uk/application.aspx?catid=33&pagetype=65&appid=11&mode=detail&id=44) tells you about the air/ground communications service. You'd need a Aeronautical Radio Station Operator’s Certificate of Competence.

Dan Dare
6th Jun 2008, 16:40
Apologies to those who know, this is for those, who probably should, but obviously still do not :rolleyes:

Air to Ground Radio Operator (A/G) - "xxx Radio"
Flight Information Service Officer (FISO) - "xxx Information"
Air Traffic Control Officer (ATCO) - "xxx Tower (Radar/Director/Control)

These are each Air Traffic Services (ATS), but not interchangable. An ATCO would still require a FISO licence or A/G radio licence for each unit. Some units vary the service provided depending on the day and skill of staff available. All pilots should know the difference, but I'm often not convinced that many do. Likewise I have been given the instruction by an A/G radio service "cleared for take-off at your discression - roll now". Was not impressed.