PDA

View Full Version : Fire fighting in Spain

maxspeed
5th Apr 2008, 05:30
Would anybody have any information on job's going in Spain for an experienced single engine fixedwing/rotorywing firebombing pilot from Australia?

ppppilot
5th Apr 2008, 09:35
During summer season there are many companies fire fighting here. You must take into account summer here goes from may to october. Gestair is one of the companies that I know. They fly Canadair. You may aply online. Other one is Saasa based in LECU. They fly Catalina and subcontracts with eastern helicopters companies.
Tailwinds.

T-6
5th Apr 2008, 11:38
Please check Cegisa!

N707ZS
5th Apr 2008, 21:46
Take a look at Avialsa Valencia they operate AT-802s and Fire Boss.
FAASA Palma del rio have a few AT-802s.
At Cordoba there are a couple of AT-802 companys
Delgado and Trabajos Aereos Espejo S.L.
Towards Sevilla there is Martinez Ridao at Utrera.
Helicopters, HELICSA, Helisureste, FAASA and TRAGSA are your main players.
A bit of Googling should get you some contact info.

I presume you can speak good Spanish.

Pturn
6th Apr 2008, 15:18
HI N707ZS!

Whoow, impressiv listing of company! by the way, do you know any company in need of AG-pilot I'm looking for a job this season. I speak very little spanish but ready to learn.
Happy season to you.
pturn.

N707ZS
6th Apr 2008, 18:00
Pturn

I think most of the spraying is done by air tractors piston and turboprop, piper braves and the odd ag-cat and PZL.
Avialsa would be a good start followed by Martinez Ridao and the companys at Cordoba. FAASA only have a couple of ag-cats left.

I don't know much about worldwide spraying operations but there seems to be a number of accidents in Spain each season, from the aircraft I have seen some looked a bit nasty.

Out in the countryside most Spaniards don't speak a second language so learning Spanish would be highly recomended.

Good luck.

maxspeed
7th Apr 2008, 03:58
Thanks N7 for the very helpful reply. Could you or anyone else tell me what licence requirements are, visa requirements are the obtainable for a New Zealander and what sort of money one would expect say in an AT-802 or a Bell 206.

Cheers from down-under

N707ZS
7th Apr 2008, 07:14
maxspeed, sorry I cannot help with visa or money.

I think if your European and none Spanish you need to apply for Spanish residence before you can work, and buy a car. I don't know if someone else can help. I might move out myself someday.

LH2
7th Apr 2008, 17:52
I think if your European and none Spanish you need to apply for Spanish residence before you can work

If you're an EU national then you don't need to apply for anything in theory. In practise, you will go to the nearest police station and apply for an NIE (? - which is sort of a tax number for non-nationals) and allows you to open a bank account, get signed onto the national health service, and do a number of other things more easily.

If you are not an EU national, then phone up your local Spanish embassy or consulate for advice. It might even be easier for you to apply for residence elsewhere in the EU (e.g., UK/Ireland if that's you ancestry) and then work in the continent while legally being a resident in the isles (but not sure if that's permitted, you'll need to check).

I am pretty sure at least some of the firebombing pilots who do the summer season are Canadians working for a Canuck company, and I presume they don't speak Spanish, but I would need to check on that to be sure.

Another thing worth looking into, see if there is any possibility of getting hired locally (down under) for the summer season in Spain. Mate of mine in Spain is in the fire service and they get offers to go to Australia for the Southern hemisphere fire season almost every year.

Best of luck in any case.

Mr. Brown
7th Apr 2008, 23:25
Hi!
Think a lot about it! I´m Spanish airplane pilot working for an Spanish Firefighting company and things are like that (aproximately):
less than 500h tt impossible to work.
less than 1000h tt and 300h tt tailwheel/fires/spraying--- 800€/month and you look for everything (accomodation, expenses, etc...) yes, that is true.
between 1000h tt and 1500h tt --- 2000€/month and keep looking for accomodation.
1500h tt - 2000h tt. 2600 €/month and accomodation provided.
+2000h tt 700h in fires. 2600-4000€ month as copilot in multi crew airplane and housing provided. Captains (not less than 5 years in the company, and lots of flight time) between 5000 and 7000€/month.
You need:
-Permission to work, probably the company will help you if is interested on you.
-Type/class ratings: paid by the pilots in all companies, if less than 1500tt.
-AG rating: To pay for an authoritation to work in fires in Spain (Yes, to work ONLY in Spain) As usually said: Spain is different! 7000€ and only two FTO where you can do it. Maybe if you are experienced in Australia, your Spanish company pays for that training for you. Maybe.

I hope you find that info as useful, as I would like 3 years ago when I make the mistake to become a fire pilot in Spain. I´m thinking about moving to Europe or Canada. In Spain, no money and no flight time.
I hope I´ve been useful to anybody.
Regards!

rcapiloto
8th Apr 2008, 21:53
And don't forget that, according to Spanish Air Regs (Ley de Navegacion Aerea), you have to have european citizenship to fly spanish-registered aircraft as Pilot in Command... Otherwise your only choice is to act as Second in Command (co-pilot) flying CL-215s (operated by CEGISA), the only multi-crew airplane in fire-fighting duties in Spain.

PM me if you need further info.

charlos
18th Mar 2010, 18:33
stay'in alive, stay'in alive...
i'm just keeping the thread alive. theres got to be more going on in latin america than there would appear from the forum. i hope.
ok heres an addition. what about firefighting in spain. that should be pretty busy every year. who's doing it, solo el españolas ?

longtime lurker
18th Mar 2010, 18:38
ok heres an addition. what about firefighting in spain. that should be pretty busy every year. who's doing it, solo el españolas ?Fire fighting in Spain (http://www.pprune.org/spanish-forum/321272-fire-fighting-spain.html)

HTH

charlos
19th Mar 2010, 00:54
cheers longtime,
some interesting info there. somewhere along the way i had heard that some of the offshore operators in the persian gulf send some iron spainward for the fire season. not at all sure of that though.
anybody else out there know ?

N707ZS
19th Mar 2010, 08:00
Inaer group which consists of what used to be Helicsa, Helisureste and possibly someone else used to charter in Abu Dhabi Aviation Bell 212s.
FAASA often have ERA aviation Bells. Coyote at Madrid seem to hire in
AS-350s from Germany and France.