PDA

View Full Version : Nokia N810 Internet Tablet

tmmorris
3rd Apr 2008, 19:42
I've bought the above for work purposes, mostly, but as it has built-in GPS I wondered if anyone had thought about porting one of the various aviation programs to it - or any new ones. Anyone heard of anything? Google came up blank.

Tim

dublinpilot
3rd Apr 2008, 20:23
As it's Nokia's own operating system, I imagine you'd have difficulty finding any 3rd party software to run on it, never mind a niche area such as aviation software.

Major Major
4th Apr 2008, 12:00
Hmm
I think it probably runs the Symbian operating system - my Nokia runs Symbian S60, and though it has a built in GPS there's no aviation s/ware that runs on it.

For one reason and another, I've moved onto a HTC PDA which runs Windows Mobile 6 and many options seem to be available. Most casual GA types without a dedicated unit seem to rate PocketFMS which I've tried and seen to work very well, if you can stand the ickle screen.

Cheers
T

tmmorris
4th Apr 2008, 18:38
Sorry, but to quell two misconceptions there:

It doesn't run Symbian.
It doesn't run Nokia's own operating system.

It runs Maemo OS 2008, which is a distribution of Linux. It's an open-source machine. Hence it wouldn't be that tricky to port something to it; so I was interested. (If it had run Symbian or some other closed system I wouldn't have bought it!)

Tim

liam548
7th Apr 2008, 03:36
the symbian series (like my N95 8gb with GPS) has plenty of navigational map programs avialable. None that know of though for flying, certianly something that could easily be changed if the demand was there.

Dagenhamdave
7th Apr 2008, 13:26
Memory map have digitised CAA charts available £20 for half mil southern,
I'm thinking of trying it out on my smartphone (windows mobile powered T mobile MDA compact 3 ) I would be interested if anyone else has this set up?
just starting out on PPL and can't afford a Garmin superduper all singing GPS unit, so I would probably use it just for emergency use or when flying close to controlled airspace and definately not for route planning etc,
eyes out of the cockpit and not staring at a screen for the whole flight... know what I mean eh eh ? :sad: