PDA

View Full Version : Logbook Question

VFR Transit
3rd Apr 2008, 12:07
I am just finishing my PPL(A).

I am doing the Zero to fATPL, so would I be best having a Professional Logbook to cover my PPL training and my Professional Hours.

If it is best for me to have a pro logbook, any ideas on which one is the best one to go for???

Thanks
VFR

Mikehotel152
3rd Apr 2008, 14:14
IMHO it's not so much which logbook but how you use it. There's little point having a fancy logbook if you don't fill in all the gaps. :p I've got a Pooleys JAR-FCL Logbook - the blue one - but it's a little hefty and I don't use all the columns. A mate of mine who is actually an ATPL holder gave up on big logbooks and now uses a handy little one. He says it's much better in practice. :ooh:

Genghis the Engineer
5th Apr 2008, 09:36
I'd go for a professional-style logbook, if only 'cos it's much bigger and will take a lot longer to fill up if you are planning on a long flying career.

Personally I use an Airtour (nowadays that's Pooleys) Commercial logbook I bought when I started out and still haven't filled up. That said, it stays on a shelf in my office and I use a scrappy PPL logbook that actually lives in my flight bag before being copied up to the commercial logbook periodically.

There's no right answer about which one - just pick one you like and will have space for the sort of flying you're planning to do. There are plenty of excellent products from the CAA, Pooleys, AFE, Jeppesen...

G

foxmoth
5th Apr 2008, 11:00
If you are going Pro I would forget a paper logbook and go for a computer based one such as Skylog pro. The big advantage here is when you apply for jobs - you will find every employer needs the hours doing a different way - easy if you have it all computerised - takes hours from a paper one. Never gets filled, just remember to back it up:D

whitehorse
5th Apr 2008, 11:38
Hi VFRT,

All of the previous have given good advice, just a few more.
The main thing is to follow the KISS rule. Do what is easiest for you.

Donīt forget that you are not required to carry your log book with you all the time, only "produce it in a reasonable amount of time", 7-10 days if I remember correctly. So if you find it easier to jot down hours on a PDA or a diary, when away from base, and fill the log book out when you get home, go for the larger style.

As you are just beginning I would sugest that at the end of each part of the course eg SEP then MEP, make a summary of the hours, types etc. This can be done in red ink. The advantage is that when you have to fill out those CAA forms, job applications etc you donīt have to repeatedly add up all the hours, only the summaries. This could be done throughout your life, if you end up being a gypsy in aviation.

Then it depends on what you are flying, at one time I had one log book for FW and one for RW. As MH152 has said, you can use a very simple log book if you are only flying one type. But consult the EASA rules to make sure you are recording what is required. (Havenīt got the ref with me)

Pooleys Prof. log book is ok but its difficult to add up hours if you end up flying SEP, MEP and multi crew a/c. Plus the totals section is not very big, which would not affect you yet but hopefully it will:).

Good luck with the course.

WH

Jinkster
6th Apr 2008, 07:30
Personally use the Jepp JAR one from Transair - very nice, very hefty for carting around but I usually keep it at home and fill it in when i return!

It looks the business only problem I dont like is that it is very difficult to write down MEP time (dont do any these days) etc.

I am/ was a flying instructor so its nice to fill in all the columns!!

Jinkster!

S-Works
6th Apr 2008, 10:01
I use the AFE Pilots logbook. Have a shelf full of them, they hold 7-800hrs a book. I use the Garmin 496 to log the flight and then take the details out to the logbook for 90% of my flights.