PDA

View Full Version : Passing the Skills Test

Information Delta
3rd Apr 2008, 09:28
Hi Ppruners, i'm new to the forums but have been browsing the website for some time and I thought I should say hi!

Last week I passed my PPL (A) Skills Test but was told afterwards that I had only just passed the NAV exercise. My examiner told me that I had only just made a Pass on the NAV exercise. I was quite off track on my second leg and it took me a while to realise this. I am disappointed that I let the situation get that bad and I feel that my performance during the test does not reflect my true capabilities.
Although Im really happy to have passed, I feel somewhat deflated by the fact that I only "just scraped a pass". Have any of you guys had similar experiences with your Skills Test?
I didn't think I'd come away from passing the test feeling both extatic and at the same time disappointed.
Sorry for going on but I just wanted to share my experience and was wondering whether anyone has had similar experiences with the skills test,

Regards

Information Delta

Mikehotel152
3rd Apr 2008, 09:43
Well done on passing the Nav exercise. :ok:

Don't be dispirited at all. Some days your nav will be spot on, directly overhead your waypoint at the ETA, but somedays you'll make a mistake and miss it. It's a learning process and you'll get much better as your aircraft handling becomes second-nature and you can devote more of your attention to navigation.

My initial navigation on my Skills Test was awful! I was off track and had to correct myself (and did that wrong too). In fairness, I think my diversion was fine. But I would have been very upset had I failed the Skills Test on that basis alone because I had been very accurate on my previous cross-country flights and felt I just had an off-day on my test day because I was nervous. Fortunately I redeemed myself with my general handling and the way I had handled a genuine rough-running engine on the initial take off.

Remember it's only a licence to learn....:O

Information Delta
3rd Apr 2008, 11:25
Mikehotel152,

Like you say, it's a learning curve. I have had flights as you say where you are over a waypoint at the expected time and everything is running smoothly. Thanks for your encouraging words, I'll try and put it behind me.:)

Information Delta

Lister Noble
3rd Apr 2008, 11:54
I think exam nerves plays a part with some,I must admit I was not as comfortable as normal in my skills test .
Lister:)