PDA

View Full Version : PPL application to CAA with only 35 hours of flight training

mattia_70
1st Apr 2008, 21:11
Hi all,
I am about to finish my PPL training plus I have logged 130 hours as glider pilot in Italy based on an italian Glider Pilot Licence (ICAO compliant).

The JAR allow me to get 10 hours credited from my glider time towards the PPL, so I only need 35 to take the skill test (or even less if we take into account the flight duration of the skill test fligh itself).

I am wondering if someone was in my same situation because I want to be sure that when I send the CAA the papers everything will go smoothly. On the phone they assured me that I just need to send my glider pilot licence (even if it is expired) and logbook (which is written in italian) and they will just check the logbook is ok (hours certified by a CFI) and credit the 10 hours.

Nevertheless, I asked the CAA to have this statement in writing and I haven't received an answer in three months.

I wonder if anyone went through the same process and if everything went smoothly.

Thanks

18greens
1st Apr 2008, 21:23
If its in LASORS you will be fine. If its not then prepare to do another 10 hours. (Cheaper than challenging the CAA)

mattia_70
1st Apr 2008, 21:49
It's in LASORS and it's clear to me.

But my CFI warned that if for any reason the CAA does not accept it, I will have to do 10 more hours and POSSIBLY retake the skill test!!!

eharding
1st Apr 2008, 22:04
If you're worried, why not fly the extra hours? - try some tailwheel, aeros or IMC training? It isn't a race - in 5 years time, you won't remember if you flew your skills test at 35,45 or 55 hours.

mattia_70
1st Apr 2008, 22:10
IT IS a race against time in the sense that I am currently living in the UK but I could move back to Italy soon due to my job and then I will not be able to get my PPL.

Plus, 10 more hours at training rates are more expensive than flying at normal club rent rates.

Whopity
2nd Apr 2008, 03:01
But my CFI warned that if for any reason the CAA does not accept it, I will have to do 10 more hours and POSSIBLY retake the skill test!!!Why would you have to retake the Skill Test? You can only take it in the first palce after you have completed all of the training and that is listed as 25 hours dual and 10 hours solo(35 hours total) The other 10 hours can be made up with 10 hours other flying. It is listed in JAR-FCL1.120 and LASORS so there is no chance the CAA are going to put it in writing when it already is!

Shunter
2nd Apr 2008, 05:55
If it's in LASORS the CAA will abide by it. It's their rulebook after all!