PDA

View Full Version : Starting a GV

Shiny Side Up
1st Apr 2008, 05:12
The "gods gift to aviation" guy (there is always one at the airport) reckons any piston pilot could figure out a GV in no time, without reference to a manual, get it started, and taxi out for takeoff. I'm of the opinion it would be bloody hard just to figure out how to get the door open and the stairs down, let alone start the main engines. Who's right? I do not think we will be able to find a Gulfstream owner willing to let us settle the bet, so I thought PPRUNE readers would enjoy this one.

NuName
1st Apr 2008, 05:35
I know piston pilots who have difficulty starting their own aircraft, but, there are others who I think would be able to start most biz jets, its not rocket science. What happens after light off is another story.

johnriketes
1st Apr 2008, 05:39
Put it this way. A jet engine is simpler piece of equipment to operate than a piston engine because the principal of the jet engine is far simpler to understand and to operate. So starting a jet engine should (and is) easier than a piston engine.

Empty Cruise
1st Apr 2008, 07:47
...once you know how to open the door, get the power up & running and finding the right button to push & turn...

It is the "Any piston pilot"-bit that falsifies his statement - if he tries with "Some piston pilots..." he'll be heading in the right direction ;)

peterperfect
1st Apr 2008, 08:23
Shiny Side,
I am sure someone will try to tell you the answer, but be wary of the more sceptical PPruners who might think GII+GII=a free GV, on 1st April too.........

OCT 05 IN FLORIDA

Daniel Who Left on a Stolen Plane Arrested
A 22-year-old man who took five friends on a "joy ride" in a stolen private jet from St. Augustine, Florida to Buford, Georgia has been arrested and charged with reckless conduct and felony theft of a $7 million Cessna Citation 7.
Daniel Andrew Wolcott, described by Matt Drudge as "pimple faced," lives in Buford, Georgia, in Gwinnett County. The missing jet was found on Briscoe Field at the Gwinnett County Airport, after it was reported missing to Homeland Security.
Police spokesman Darren Moloney said the jetnapping "appears to be a joy ride."
Wolcott was arrested after investigators interviewed five people who were on the 10-seater during the flight. Additional federal charges are expected, although officials are not revealing exactly how Wolcott, who has a commercial flying license, obtained control of the plane.
It is not clear if the other passengers will face charges.

Chippie Chappie
1st Apr 2008, 08:47
After 30 seconds rigerous search, I found that Walcott was licenced to fly a Westwind

http://web.nbaa.org/public/news/20051014atl.php

Wolcott is a commercial pilot with multiengine and instrument ratings and reportedly is licensed to fly a Westwind corporate jet. But he's not rated to fly a Citation, a plane that usually requires two pilots.

I think Empty Cruise hit the nail on the head.

Chips

PPRuNeUser0215
1st Apr 2008, 10:31
...once you know how to open the door, get the power up & running and finding the right button to push & turn...

I don't fly the GV but on my type, you will have to do that and in less than 10 minute max or it's bye bye the battery. Of course if you know how to start the APU, all will be safe... As long as you know how to get the Gen on.

So yes, all easy when you know how :ok:. Now as for a guy who has never seen it, putting him in the seat and asking him to do it without any kind of brief or prior knowledge, forget it.

Expressflight
1st Apr 2008, 11:26
Put the other way around, I can think of a lot of bizjet pilots who wouldn't be able to start, say, a hot Lycoming IO-540.

Flintstone
1st Apr 2008, 12:01
As any fule no it's not just a case of getting the engines running. Not sure about the GV but on every type of jet I've ever flown IF you got the engines running (after starting the apu) it would be a very short taxi if you didn't also active one or more systems.

So no. Any piston pilot couldn't do it.

Astra driver
1st Apr 2008, 19:00
Take it from a Gulfstream pilot;

I think it would take the average person more than 10 minutes just to figure out how to close the door!

Tony Mabelis
2nd Apr 2008, 16:21
Thats if he hasnt already amputated his fingers opening it!!

His dudeness
2nd Apr 2008, 21:34
"Put the other way around, I can think of a lot of bizjet pilots who wouldn't be able to start, say, a hot Lycoming IO-540."

Thats right. Piston Engines are a pain. It took ages for me to learn to start a hot D.H.104 Dove (D.H.Gypsies)...

Flintstone
2nd Apr 2008, 23:48
At least the jet pilot has the advantage of probably had to start a hot piston donk somewhere in his past whereas the would-be jet pilot would probably sit mesmerised by all the pretty lights and switches. I know I was.

Come to think of it, I still am.

PLovett
3rd Apr 2008, 12:18
Recently had the opportunity to have a look at the cockpit of a Global Express and while the systems have been beautifully simplified this piston pilot would have had no chance of getting it started especially if it meant getting the APU up and running first.:}

His dudeness
3rd Apr 2008, 19:37
"probably sit mesmerised by all the pretty lights and switches. I know I was."

Flints, I was running out of switches and shiny lights on my model train - thats when I decided to be a pilot. :D

W9SQD
7th Apr 2008, 22:26
No chance.

redsnail
7th Apr 2008, 22:36
IO 540s??

Oh they are a right pain to start when hot! If you didn't start them within 10min of shutting down (crew swap or quick dunny break). Forget it. Leave them for 30 min. I just used to swear at them until I found an eye pleasing lever position combination and some how it would start.. :bored:

Dunno about the GV, but the Hawker's a doddle compared to the Islander (2 rotten bloody IO 540s)

Wanderin_dave
8th Apr 2008, 01:44
Hot IO-540s, easy!

Throttle half
Start cranking
After 3-4 blades (3 bladed prop) start advancing mixture slowly.
When it kicks keep slowly advancing mixture and bring the throrrle back to around 1000rpm.

Works every time!

As for a GV.......... yeah, i'd have no hope!!! :sad:

xxgunnerxx
8th Apr 2008, 02:17
Just a SLF, but how hard can it be to find the engine start checklist and just press the buttons that are written there...

PPRuNeUser0215
8th Apr 2008, 07:56
Just a SLF, but how hard can it be to find the engine start checklist and just press the buttons that are written there...

If you are thinking about the little piece of paper we use as check list, it will tell you what to check beforeand after a start but not what buttons to push and in what order so you get the engine started.
It will not tell you either how to start the APU, get it online or the sequence required for an engine start. It won't mention either how to get the thrust lever out of cut off and when.

Now if you want to go in the books rather than the check list then sure, you will find it all. Problem is to know where to look ;) and since we were talking just about jumping in and starting it, you will need some time to familiarise yourself with it.
Not done in ten minutes. ;)

refplus20
11th Apr 2008, 13:44
He would most probably be fine until he tried the brakes!! :ugh:

K.Whyjelly
11th Apr 2008, 14:14
Never had the pleasure of sitting in a GV so I could be talking out of my arze here but it looks high tech enough to have FADEC and therefore should be pretty easy to start.......................or am I barking up the wrong tree:O

exjet
11th Apr 2008, 14:27
Don't see the problem. Cabin Attendant was able to get it up and running (APU and engines) on the GLEX with only the use of the checklist - even though she had know idea of what any button or switch meant.

It's no big deal. Now that 540, that is another thing!!

;)

galaxy flyer
11th Apr 2008, 16:23
Very difficult, if not impossible! (that's what I tell the boss, the more complex it looks, the better :rolleyes:

er340790
11th Apr 2008, 18:10
I do recall once when doing my PPL at Maastricht, Colin McCrae's Biz Jet N525CM landed and parked next to me. Got talking to the pilot in the crew room who then handed me the keys to have a look around........ to cut a long story short, even the prospect of a firey death or an exceedingly lengthy prison sentence were barely enough to stop me trying it out!!!!!!