PDA

View Full Version : Aerobatic STOL Taildragger?

Pudnucker
31st Mar 2008, 22:21
Chaps - two posts in one night!!!!

Thinking about buying a new aircraft. I love the Aviat Husky, especially the amazing STOL qualities and massive pay load... However, being able to do some rudimentary aerobatics is something I fancy... From what I read the Husky is always supposed to fly the right way up so started looking at the Citabria - very pretty but payload can be limited..

Anyone have any ideas of what else I should be looking at?

Thanks for your ideas :ok:

Dan Winterland
1st Apr 2008, 03:45
As soon as I saw the title of your thread, I thought Citabria. Yes, the payload is limited, but to get what you require any aircraft is going to require a compromise.

Decide what your priorities are then work out what you can lose. Persoanally, I would buy a Cap10c and rent an aircraft when you want to tour longer distances. You won't be flying limited aeros the Cap, but it flys a lot better than a Citabria and it's heaps of fun.

Edit; Actually, thinking about it, the Cap10 isn't particularly STOL like. I take it you want operate out of a strip.

squawking 7700
1st Apr 2008, 07:16
Super Decathlon - with 180hp and CS prop it won't have any problems getting out of most fields, certainly if you can get in you'll get out but without flaps your sideslipping to get it in will improve.
I think the load was increased with the 180hp engine - the 150hp Decathlon CS was marginal load wise with two average sized blokes but performance was still good.
There are a few Super Decathlon's about so it should be possible to have a go in one and relatively cheap to buy, even new.

will5023
1st Apr 2008, 07:45
Hi, what about a Vans RV7 or RV8, both aerobatic, fast with good STOL and on a LAA permit, depends on what you are operating out of ? 250 meters will be tight for most aerobatic machines!!

Will.

Brooklands
1st Apr 2008, 12:57
Hi, what about a Vans RV7 or RV8, both aerobatic, fast with good STOL and on a LAA permit, depends on what you are operating out of ? 250 meters will be tight for most aerobatic machines!!

Or the RV4 and RV6 for that matter.

B.

Pudnucker
1st Apr 2008, 17:29
Thanks chaps - looks like I'm along the right track..

The RV8 is nice (I have a mate with one) but really want something a bit more rugged for unmade surfaces and farmers fields. It looks like the Husky or Super D is the way forward unless anyone else has any ideas...

checkpointcharlie
1st Apr 2008, 19:47
Hi,

I've owned and operated a 2004 Super Decathlon now for four years and I have to say it does everything it says plus more. Its rugged and very aerobatic. A slightly less nimble although useable machine might be the Citabria High Country Explorer (7GCBC) It has a Vantage IO-360 (180hp) which is certified for mogas and is a plus 5 minus 2 machine. It's just had an increase in useful load too.

PM me if you need more info. Good luck.

CPC