PDA

View Full Version : Preparation for a PPL this summer

naturals
29th Mar 2008, 20:54
Hi everyone,
I'm hoping to take my PPL this summer and was wondering if there is any preparation you'd recommend that could help with the lessons.

I'm planning on using the PPL recreationally but haven't ruled the possibility of moving on to a CPL etc at a later date.

Would it be worth ordering a set of the books (Thom, Pratt, Oxford, etc) and having a decent read or should I just be patient?

Thanks in advance!

Andrew

XX621
29th Mar 2008, 21:08
Yes get the books and start reading...you'll find most of it fascinating anyway!
If you were to read, and understand, all the theory before starting the flying you'd be off to a fantastic start. However, don't worry if you don't - if will all fall into place in due course when you start, and of course your instructor(s) will be on hand to explain etc.

Feel free to PM if you have any more Q's.

naturals
30th Mar 2008, 14:20
Thanks for the quick reply XX.

Which of the books would everyone recommend reading first? I'm a solo glider pilot and was in the ATC for 5 odd years so I know a fair bit about theory of flight but only a limited amount specific to powered flying.

Would the Thom 'Flying Training' book be a good start or would 'Aeroplane Technical' be better suited?

Obviously I know I'm going to have to read both eventually but which would be of more benefit for first lessons?

poss
30th Mar 2008, 15:29
I would suggest going for the number 1 and 2 books of the airpilots series, that way you are following the route you will be going in when you start your PPL. The flying training book will give you a heads up on the exercises you will be doing and the aviation law & meterology will give you a headstart on those first 2 exams.. if you choose to take met after aviation law and depending on how your FTO want you to go about your exams. I don't know if it's manditory, it was at my club, but I had to get my aviation law out of the way first before I solo'd. If you've already gone solo in a glider does that mean you have done aviation law?

naturals
30th Mar 2008, 15:53
Nope, no aviation law exam required when gliding (at least there wasn't when I soloed at 16, maybe there is now).

Thanks for your help.

poss
30th Mar 2008, 16:05
In that case I would recommend you start reading through that book as well and doing the exam as soon as possible. That means one less exam to worry about :).

naturals
30th Mar 2008, 16:28
Do people generally sit all the exams in one go or do them one at a time?

Also, do they expire (i.e. do you have to complete the rest of the PPL within a certain period)?

poss
30th Mar 2008, 16:39
You take the exams at your own pace however will need some before you are allowed to progress with certain parts of your training, for my FTO to go on my first solo nav they required Navigation, Met and Flight Planning and Performance.
I think (keyword) you need to complete your PPL 2 years after your first exam otherwise you have to retake that exam and any others that you've taken if you go way over the 2 years.