PDA

View Full Version : Third time unlucky

Put1992
29th Mar 2008, 11:33
Another flight cancelled due to weather.

When is it going to improve!!

Another day stuck indoors it is.

PompeyPaul
29th Mar 2008, 11:57
Last time airborne was February 12th. I've booked to fly every weekend and they've all been called off. RUBBISH!

dont overfil
29th Mar 2008, 11:57
Don't just blame the weather. Work stops you flying on the good days.
Seriously I sympathise, but it's even worse up here.
17 days and counting and I'll be flying in Florida and the Bahamas. Stick it out and it'll be worth it.

stoneyrosetreered
29th Mar 2008, 12:21
Late December when I last got up, from that I have tried at least two times a week to get up and still having no luck, its either the wx is good but the wind isn't or the other way round. I might just give up and join Greenpeace they aren't having any trouble getting on ac

Put1992
29th Mar 2008, 12:22
Dont overfil, I suppose you are right.

17 days and counting and I'll be flying in Florida and the Bahamas

Wow, enjoy that :ok:

Last time i flew was Feb 15th:sad:

batninth
29th Mar 2008, 14:02
Same here - booked time off work this past week & got up for only two days of it. Thursday looked promising to build some solo time, but wind got up about 15 mins after start of lesson so spent most of day practicing cross-wind landings & go-arounds.

Talking to other students, we've got guys who haven't flown since November due to combo of bad weather & being at work on good days.

LawrenceMck
30th Mar 2008, 18:23
I know exactly how you guys feel!

I was supposed to be doing my skills test last tuesday (25th March) and the weather turned lousy! I re-booked it for saturday 29th March and the weather was still no good. Today (30th) would have been fanastic to do the test but no aircraft available, all booked up! Ive next got it booked for tuesday 1st April and yet again the weather looks set to be against me!

It's so frustrating, the days that are good, aircraft aren't available or the examiner isn't available. I had similar problems with my qualifying cross country, 3 months of waiting before suitable weather arrived!:ugh:

Ah well, I guess it's to be expected, theres nothing that can change the weather! When looking at the bigger picture, things aren't so bad, learning to fly has been a fantastic experience and I've made a lot of friends through it:).

Lawrence

Put1992
30th Mar 2008, 18:32
Yep, today looked like fantastic weather conditions, but again, all aircraft booked.:ugh:

I really want to get back up again. This easter break has been pretty boring anyway, and with the addition of weather cancellations, it's even more so!

Let's hope we have a fantastic summer

Shunter
30th Mar 2008, 19:02
Had a spin out to Sheffield just before Easter. Thought I'd get it in the logbook before they tear it up and build something dull, uninteresting, but probably more profitable.

Was due to fly to Cranfield and back yesterday. Forecast said it would all go to pot and it did... Always nice when that happens after spending several hours on the motorway in glorious sunshine.

Was supposed to fly her to the midlands for a 50hr check today. Forecast said CB's and horribleness from lunchtime onwards so I shelved it. Didn't actually happen until 6 hours later by which time I would have been long home consuming my roast dinner. Some you win, some you lose.

Pianorak
30th Mar 2008, 20:36
Was due to fly to Cranfield and back yesterday. Forecast said it would all go to pot and it did... Always nice when that happens after spending several hours on the motorway in glorious sunshine.

Got home alright? :)

Alvision
2nd Apr 2008, 14:00
Sounds like i've been pretty lucky. I've flown every weekend since mid january.

Lost man standing
2nd Apr 2008, 15:14
It's nice today! You all flying?

Captain Smithy
2nd Apr 2008, 16:12
No! Have been stuck in the factory all day! :(

Rather cheesed off. Hopefully tomorrow though...

A and C
2nd Apr 2008, 16:44
If you think that it is frustrating for you then try being an owner of a flying club!

These guys have overheads to pay and customers who wan't to fly but the weather putts a stop flying but the bills keep rolling in.

It's not a new in story im 1979 I had about 35 x-c flights weatherd off over the summer and then got the the 4 x-c flights that I needed done between xmas and new year.

Put1992
2nd Apr 2008, 21:47
Ive got 14 weeks off after my exams, so hopefully i'll get some more intense revision and groundschool done to get the exams all done (with alot of flying between).

Booked in for sunday, but the forecast is not looking good again.:sad:

Lost man standing
3rd Apr 2008, 01:48
Don't despair! I learnt a good lesson from the wise old bloke (I can't recall his name - left soon after I arrived) behind the desk at the flying club.

The weather next day, when I had a lesson booked, was forecast nasty. I was saying something about the fact that I'd be staying on the ground again, but he pointed out that even the next day's weather forecasts are as good as tea leaves to a pilot. And he was right. Next day dawned bright and clear, and I got my flight!

A lot of people don't even book if the weather isn't looking good, which is a shame.

Put1992
6th Apr 2008, 12:24
Fourth times a charm :)

1 dual circuit, followed by 4 solo.

Snow everywhere!

:cool:

dont overfil
6th Apr 2008, 13:12
A wise man somewhere said,
"A forecast is like a horoscope with numbers."

er340790
6th Apr 2008, 18:59
It's better to be down here wishing you were up there, than up there wishing you were down here!

Pudnucker
6th Apr 2008, 19:11
Hi,

Hasn't been that bad but the forecasts have invariably been for worse conditions than expected. I've flown virtually every weekend this year and have been steadily pushing personal minima and my flying is all the better for it..

Mind you, flew the Oxford 737 simulator yesterday and landed it first time so well chuffed with myself... I want one for my garage....

Xoxon
6th Apr 2008, 19:48
Are 737s really unresponsive and docile though or what? What is the attraction with flying such things?

madgav
7th Apr 2008, 11:01
....... I may as well get it off me chest.
<moan>
First solo 25/10/07. Nearly half a year later, *no* second solo yet.
Only 2 out of 10 lessons flown in 2008 so far (weather crap every Friday :{).
I guess a 20% success rate is about what would be expected in a UK winter.
Funny thing is though, I flew 31 times between May and Dec 07, and not a single one was cancelled because of the weather :confused:.
</moan>
Gavin
www.madgav.org (http://www.madgav.org)

Pudnucker
7th Apr 2008, 21:54
Found the controls very heavy, easy to get into pilot induced oscillation but I guess that gets better with practice... Truly awesome experience though! :):):):)