PDA

View Full Version : Are your instructors all dead........?

er340790
27th Mar 2008, 17:05
Had an unpleasant wake-up call this last two weeks. Did my PPL back in 2002 in the Netherlands and the States and was back in NL for my FAA medical. Enquired after my two former Dutch instructors - the first died tragically when his PA-28 hit a hillside in Germany in IFC with two recreational pilots on-board. Second suffered chest pains while flying circuits with a student, got the aircraft down OK, but was pronounced DOA at the hospital. Then discovered this week that my former US seaplane instructor died in a mid-air collision in 2006.

Despite my own occassional efforts to shorten their time on this planet (stalling at 200' AGL on a go-around springs to mind) a 100% loss rate in 6 years for instructors in their 30s/early-40s is a real shocker. Statistically this should just not happen. Anyone ever seen any data on exactly how risky the profession is?

RIP

skydriller
27th Mar 2008, 20:00
Morbid thread.....and not something one cares to dwell on too much, but it does make one reflect and hopefully remember the best of those no longer with us who probably have a similar passion to ours for flying.

Many will know Glen of soloflight, who tragicly passed. He gave me a couple of lessons while briefly in Lincolnshire, which I shall always remember.

Sadly in December 2007, our Aeroclub instructor of many years, Eric Pradeau, committed suicide at his house and was found by Aeroclub members only when he didnt come to the club for a lesson. Though probably not known to Ppruners, he introduced hundreds here in France to the joys of flight, and will be remembered by many.

yawningdog
27th Mar 2008, 22:10
er340790, remind me not to fly with you.:ooh:

RIP

A and C
28th Mar 2008, 08:50
In case anyone gives a damm I am alive and well!

IO540
28th Mar 2008, 09:46
I don't think many UK instructors get killed, because they disappear into a Boeing or an Airbus at the earliest possible opportunity. None of those I trained with are around anymore; all have moved on long ago.

Rod1
28th Mar 2008, 11:25
I see my old gliding instructors occasionally (84 – 91), and my IMCR/NR/TD conversion and AOPA aerobatics guys are still around. I have lost touch with Tony Morton (ex Truman aviation) who did my gliding to PPL conversion in 91, but he is probably still around (any body know – he took up teaching IR’s up north I think).

That makes about 10/11 still with us for sure, but some are getting on a bit now. All are still instructing or have retired into LAA coaching.

Rod1

Lister Noble
28th Mar 2008, 13:53
Slightly off topic but interesting.
In the late 70's, we used aerial crop sprayers on the farm I managed in Essex,fixed wing and rotary.
I asked one of the older fixed wing Pawnee pilots if there were a lot of accidents and he replied with a grin.

"The pilots are either young or old,the ones in the middle are all dead!"

A couple of weeks later he went through a power line but luckily was not hurt.

Watching them flying and manouevering around 20 feet above the ground with half a ton of fertiliser or spray on board,it was easy to see how dangerous it was.
Lister

Chilli Monster
28th Mar 2008, 19:15
I have lost touch with Tony Morton (ex Truman aviation) who did my gliding to PPL conversion in 91, but he is probably still around (any body know – he took up teaching IR’s up north I think).

Flying heavy cargo crews around in a Jetstream 31 between various places in Europe - spoke to him about 2 weeks both on the R/T and on the phone :)

treadigraph
28th Mar 2008, 21:43
Lister, were you perchance talking to Bill Bowker?

A and C
29th Mar 2008, 08:20
Some of us instruct to try and keep the flying skills, hard enough to do when flying one of Mr Boeings products but from what I can see almost imposable if you are flying an Airbus.

Health warning

I don't want to start an Airbus vs boeing spatt on the private forum and by the end of the summer (& 500 hours on the Bus) may have changed my opinion.

Whirlybird
29th Mar 2008, 08:32
To go back to the original question...

I suspect that flying is as safe or as dangerous as any other fairly high risk activity. I used to know a really keen rock climber, and he always seemed to be talking of his friends, then saying they'd died while climbing. When I queried it he said there weren't that many, but certainly....some. You'll find something similar if you talk to keen horseriders, not those whose mounts walk them gently in the local countryside, but showjumpers, hunters etc. Skiing - a bit the same way I think.

Life is a dangerous business...unless you spend it all safely tucked up at home by the TV. But wait, don't most people die in their own homes? :(

Lister Noble
29th Mar 2008, 08:43
I can't remember his name at the moment but he flew from Southend and the outfit were CKS,I think.
Lister
Just remembered-Noel Kimvik-I think!