PDA

View Full Version : Death of the NPPL?

kestrel539
26th Mar 2008, 17:49
I thought I had it, the prize was there, just within my grasp; a warm, justified feeling of pride was welling up inside , as a final understanding of what I have to do to keep my ratings valid on an NPPL, as opposed to a PPL, filtered through the grey matter, when, today, everything seems to have changed.
Through the post, from the centre of the known universe, arrived yet another bit of paper, now telling me that I am proficient in English.
Good, fine, no problem with that, BUT..the piece of paper is now called a United Kingdom Private Pilots Licence ( Aeroplanes ), with a licence No the same as my NPPL, but not the same as my old PPL.
Worth a call to Gatwick, or is this yet another change that I have missed amongst all the other EASA paperwork that is floating around?

dublinpilot
26th Mar 2008, 18:19
What's the question?

If the licence number matches your NPPL, then it refers to your NPPL.

Presumably you will get another one for your PPL.

dp

SkyCamMK
26th Mar 2008, 19:28
If the United Kingdom is a nation then what is the difference as the UK PPL is not a JAA PPL but a national qualification !

kestrel539
26th Mar 2008, 20:55
I really should not post after a glass or two, but what I was trying to get at was, the wording on the front sheet of the licence says UKPPL, the licence No refers to my NPPL.
Has anyone else had this?

jgs43
26th Mar 2008, 22:33
The language proficiency requirement does not apply to the NPPL.
Looks like it might be a CAA ****up (error).
The requirement only applies to ICAO licences where a radio licence is held e.g. if you had a UK or JAR licence but no radio licence it would also not apply.

Quote from the official document -

"The new requirements come into effect from 5 March 2008 at which time all those intending to operate or control international flights must have the licence endorsement. This includes private pilots operating outside controlled airspace , but excludes NPPL holders."

also

"Please note: Language proficiency only applies where a Radio Licence is held."

Might be worth asking the CAA as to why they have issued you with the endorsement as you say you have an NPPL which is excluded from the requirement.

HOWEVER was your old PPL originally issued in the days before the medical reference number was introduced? If "yes" that might explain why the numbers do not corrrespond and , in fact, the endorsement is applicable to your PPL although the number on your original documents has never been revised since its original issue.

kestrel539
27th Mar 2008, 17:44
Thanks jgs43, a phone call to the CAA seems to be the way to go.