PDA

View Full Version : Approach charts any websites that help to explain?

midiman
25th Mar 2008, 22:30
Hi I am looking to learn the basics of map reading.

I need help on readinng charts. Are there any reference charts online to GA airfields.

Thanks

Duchess_Driver
25th Mar 2008, 23:04
All charts have a legend in the margin - just fold it out and look at the route you 'plan' to fly. Look closely at the features you see on the map, then find them in the Legend.

Trevor Thoms, sorry, The Air Pilots Manuals, will help understand chart symbology, but bearing in mind the early stage in your flying training, I'd recommend getting volumes 1 (sylabus/air exercises) and 2 (air-law) sorted first.

An aerodrome approach 'plate' describes both vertical and lateral projections of an instrument approach to an airfield. Not all airfields have instrument approaches, but those that do are available on the AIS web-site.

Julian
25th Mar 2008, 23:13
I know somewere buried in the FAA website and some helpful docs on charts, approach plates, etc. You could try there.

J.

midiman
25th Mar 2008, 23:29
thanks all

Rightbase
26th Mar 2008, 09:29
Hi Midiman

You can find up to date airfield maps in the AIP. If you're landing away at an unfamiliar airfield they are essential, otherwise you might not be able to follow taxi instructions. Check out the airfield layout, taxiway names and hold points as part of your pre-flight planning.

I like to google-earth any new airfield to see how it looks from the air and where it is relative to other features around. It can also help with the final decision on where to park!

You will need to register to use the AIP - see http://www.ais.org.uk
Then go to the Aerodrome & Heliport Index - Specific (http://www.ais.org.uk/aes/pubs/aip/html/aipad2.htm)

Enjoy the planning as much as the flying.

maxdrypower
26th Mar 2008, 09:56
As Duchess Driver suspected I think it may well be VFR chart info your after as opposed to approach plates . If this is wrong the Trevor Thom Instrument training book I think its No 5 explains these in detail .
As recommended dont start worrying about charts until you start the nav phase .

BackPacker
26th Mar 2008, 10:23
Midiman, you had me confused as well. An "approach plate" is a specific type of diagram showing an instrument approach (ie. no outside visibility, instruments only approach) to a specific airport. Most airports have multiple of these and they're only of use to an instrument rated pilot.

If you're working towards your PPL, you need a "VFR chart", either ICAO or Jeppessen, and you need airport diagrams of the airports you want to visit. Airport diagrams can be found in the AIP or in commercial flight guides such as Bottlang or the AFE UK Flight Guide.

All of these have legends, plus the "nav" portion of your PPL training will cover using these. Furthermore, your "nav" training (and "ops") will cover the "circuit" and various types of "joins": the standard ways that visual pilots approach an airport (well, should approach an airport at least).

Captain Jock
29th Mar 2008, 09:53
Perhaps this is too obvious a comment, but have you tried asking your instructor?

midiman
29th Mar 2008, 17:03
thanks they have most of what I want on the AIS site. Thanks