PDA

View Full Version : skill test tomorrow......

gasman123
23rd Mar 2008, 18:45
Weather permitting!

Working myself into a frenzy about things like true airspeed calcs, density altitude & 100 other things that are most likely completely irrelevant to passing!!

Aside from emergencies (doing next), does anyone have any tips on how to spend a last minute hour of revision tonight?

GM

kwachon
23rd Mar 2008, 18:49
Go out, have a beer then come home and relax, tomorrow weather permitting, put the aircraft on your back and fly like you have never flown before.

Good luck and all the best. :ok:

XX621
23rd Mar 2008, 18:56
Run through the engine fail checks - and corrective actions (mags/fuel/master/carb etc) in your mind a few times? Getting those in nicely during a PFL always gets brownie points.

Above all, try and relax enjoy the skills test (I know thats hard to do, but it does help if you can). At the end of the day the examiner wants to make sure you're safe, and you must be if you're doing the test!!!

Hope the weather is okay for you and all the very best :ok:. I'm due to test fly an aeroplane I might by a share in, so am crossing my fingers for a vaguely flyable day tomorrow too.

Lister Noble
23rd Mar 2008, 18:58
Try to get a good nights sleep,have some breakfast and enough to drink,maybe take some water with you.

It is a long test,I wish I had done mine in two sections but that may have been my age,and it is your choice to request this.

Remember the examining instructor wants you to pass.

Good luck:)
Lister

gasman123
23rd Mar 2008, 19:12
Cheers guys, think I'll do emergencies, PFLs then have a beer & chill...

I was meant to do it 2 weeks ago & I felt on for it then but the test was cancelled due to weather, no flying since so I feel a bit out of practice which doesn't help. Anyway, hopefully it'll feel OK once I'm up there.

Keep your fingers crossed for me!!

GM

norton2005
23rd Mar 2008, 19:36
don't worry about it, it'll be a piece of cake. It's just another flight at the end of the day, so you've done it at least 45 times before.

TheGorrilla
23rd Mar 2008, 19:45
May the force be with you young Skywalker.

ab33t
23rd Mar 2008, 20:25
Hey the examiner I had helped me a bit, as long as your are safe you will be ok. He will tend to prompt you along, listen carefully and remember the drills, I found repaating everything he said helped me settle down and understand whats needed. Chin up .

gasman123
23rd Mar 2008, 20:41
Thanks for the support!

Hopefully it'll happen, weather looks touch & go. It'll be a pain to have to postpone it again

PompeyPaul
23rd Mar 2008, 21:06
I thought the wx was looking good. Good luck!

TheGorrilla
24th Mar 2008, 00:58
If you make a mistake, carry on and don't look back at it. Wait for it to come up in the debrief and say to the examiner "yep. I knew that was a really silly thing to do the moment I did it!".

Wilton Shagpile
24th Mar 2008, 07:35
Good luck for today if the wx holds - let us know how you get on!!

wingman863
24th Mar 2008, 09:40
Wishing you the best of luck :)

Redbird72
24th Mar 2008, 09:46
No advice to offer as you're way ahead of me - but Good Luck and Good Weather! :ok:

gasman123
24th Mar 2008, 19:24
Passed!!
got up this morning & it was snowing, drove over snow covered hills & almost turned back but incredibly the test happened. Squally, turbulent weather, loads of lift & sink, I was all over the place but somehow managed to get where I wanted to. Realised after about an hour or so that I had almost certainly passed so was able to relax - had a bit of worthwhile instruction on glide approaches by my instructor & a demo at the end!

Lost 3l of sweat, just about rehydrated now.

Many thanks to you all for your support, it was very helpful last night. Many of you were right - its the big things they seem to be interested in, not the minutiae.

I didn't see the bill coming though - £170 plus another £70 for the night rating!!! I almost passed out from shock!

Insight
24th Mar 2008, 19:45
Congratulations Gasman!

Very well done!

I have to say that being a low hour trainee (7ish), the more I read here, I get more and more worried about all the stuff I will have to learn in the course of learning to fly.. :( Hope my daft brain is up to it!

Glad you got it done though!

PompeyPaul
24th Mar 2008, 19:58
Congrats. Sensational!!!!!

Be careful selecting your first pax to take, it really is more radically different than you think.

Insight. I've held my PPL for 7 months and so am still very low hours and inexperienced. All I can say is you will definately get there, if you want to. The number of books to read and exams to do seems like a mountain at first. I still remember trying to take off, trim out for climb and change to another station at the same time. I never thought I'd get there, but I did. You will too.

gasman123
24th Mar 2008, 19:59
Thanks!

Don't worry though, a year ago I was at your stage & thinking - I can't imagine ever being able to do this myself. I all comes along bit by bit, high points & low points, but enjoy it all!

GM

gasman123
24th Mar 2008, 20:37
Sorry PompeyPaul - I think we posted simultaneously!

BRL
24th Mar 2008, 21:21
Well done. :ok:

I bet you are absolutely knacker-ed right now!!!

gasman123
25th Mar 2008, 07:43
Cheers, completely knackered & had to go to work at 1700!!