View Full Version : Flying Cessna 182 back from USA to UK

TheFlyingScot
22nd Mar 2008, 16:19
I intend to fly a Cessna 182T back to the UK via Denmark,
are there any members who could give me some advice for this trip ? :ok:

whitehorse
23rd Mar 2008, 00:25
Hi TFS,

I guess there might be others out there, with the $ being so low, considering this trip.

You donīt give your experience, but the trip is not for the fient hearted. An IR is usefull.

First you will need special insurance and your experience will be taken into consideration.

The safety equipment to be carried is likely to be inspected by the Canadian authorities before you are allowed to set out across the pond.

Expect to be flying legs over the water for a minimum of 4-5+ hours, depending on the winds. Do you want to do this in an aircraft that you donīt know how its been treated by the previous owner? You canīt ask the Cirrus pilot who crashed into the sea just outside BGBW this winter, RIP, what he thinks about the owner. He didn't order a winterisation kit with the aircraft as it was to fly in Thailand.:ugh:

The SAR facilities are virtually non existant for most of the route between Goose and Iceland.

If you end up at any airfield other than BGBW, BGGH, or BGSF in Greenland you will be expected to buy the whole drum of fuel, 300+ ltrs, not cheap. Some fields have only Jet 1A and nothing else. Always check availabilty, the new supplies may not have arrived by ship.:ok:

The en route weather forcast is not likely to be very accurate.

You cannot expect any help with maintenance between Goose and Iceland. This could and does result in the aircraft being left at some out of the way airport and getting an engineer in to fix it. This is not a cheap operation.:{

I have seen private pilots get out of their aircraft at BGBW and say no more, they will be shaking. Happened this January, not the best time of year for the venture. Then they get ferry pilot in, to finish the job.

Choose the ferry company carefully, Some ferry pilots will lean the engine so much that a minimum requirement will be for you to replace the plugs when you take delivery. Its not their aircraft:{

You will require plenty of time and money so that you can hit the right opening in the weather, OH and a bit of luck.:ok:

Have you thought of getting it over by container?

Why go via DK it would seem to be a long way round.:confused:

On the plus side there are many who have made the trip and had a great time.:D Just some thoughts about your project.

WH

FerrypilotDK
23rd Mar 2008, 02:25
You donīt give your experience, but the trip is not for the fient hearted. An IR is usefull.

Unless you want to make the trip below 5500 feet, it is essential!

First you will need special insurance and your experience will be taken into consideration.

The safety equipment to be carried is likely to be inspected by the Canadian authorities before you are allowed to set out across the pond.

This is no longer the case...nor has it been for years...

Expect to be flying legs over the water for a minimum of 4-5+ hours, depending on the winds. Do you want to do this in an aircraft that you donīt know how its been treated by the previous owner? You canīt ask the Cirrus pilot who crashed into the sea just outside BGBW this winter, RIP, what he thinks about the owner. He didn't order a winterisation kit with the aircraft as it was to fly in Thailand.:ugh:

Cheap shot....you could have mentioned the other two that went down in the last month....but I guess you "included them under "not for the feint hearted.....

The SAR facilities are virtually non existant for most of the route between Goose and Iceland.

BS .... However ... try not to use them, heh!

If you end up at any airfield other than BGBW, BGGH, or BGSF in Greenland you will be expected to buy the whole drum of fuel, 300+ ltrs, not cheap. Some fields have only Jet 1A and nothing else. Always check availabilty, the new supplies may not have arrived by ship.:ok:

Avgas price is about USD 17 USG now and I would highly suggest tanking the aircraft, as you really have no viable alternate with a 182 and no ferry tank

The en route weather forcast is not likely to be very accurate.

BS DMI..the Danish Met Office has excellent products, as do the Canadians. But you need to know what to ask for! That being said, the weather can change rapidly, the Low that has been sitting still suddenly rockets to the north, bringing headwinds, low vis and-or precip.....

You cannot expect any help with maintenance between Goose and Iceland. This could and does result in the aircraft being left at some out of the way airport and getting an engineer in to fix it. This is not a cheap operation.:{

I have seen private pilots get out of their aircraft at BGBW and say no more, they will be shaking. Happened this January, not the best time of year for the venture. Then they get ferry pilot in, to finish the job.

Yep! I had one owner that was along for the trip, reach out a hand and touch my cheek. I asked him why after landing at BGBW. He said that he thought he was going to die and wanted to touch a human being...

Choose the ferry company carefully, Some ferry pilots will lean the engine so much that a minimum requirement will be for you to replace the plugs when you take delivery. Its not their aircraft:{

Choose a ferry company that will tank the aircraft. Yet another reason!

You will require plenty of time and money so that you can hit the right opening in the weather, OH and a bit of luck.:ok:

Plan on about USD 10000 and you should not be too surprised. Count on less and you will be. You STILL might be...stay in cheap Bangor until the weather looks like it is opening, do not go to expensive Goose or Iqaluit to sit there!

Have you thought of getting it over by container?

OF course, you can, but that is also expensive and you donīt get the trip of your life, which this can be! We have delivered thousands of aircraft in the last 40 years, but we rarely take a used piston single! Only new or nearly new.....

Why go via DK it would seem to be a long way round.:confused:

Probably has to do with there being no VAT in Denmark on aircraft. However, like a lot of the information in the post, you are out of date slightly....as the VAT law was recently altered due to EU pressure... There may be a solution though under the newer rules. pm me if it becomes a reality...

On the plus side there are many who have made the trip and had a great time.:D Just some thoughts about your project.

Correct! Personally 192 trips....have not got wet feet yet! Now into bigger wings, but go down to meet the lads here in Iceland, when I can. Have had to remove two from my address book this year. DO NOT JOIN THEM!

Fly safe!

Sam Rutherford
23rd Mar 2008, 07:58
I am bringing my Maule back in the first half of June, also to Denmark (VAT reasons as correctly pointed out) also a newbie to this but how can you not do this trip once in your life.

I'm advancing nicely with preparations, but would be very glad to team up and perhaps fill any gaps I might otherwise have missed.

Perhaps you even want to do the flight 'in convoy'? Planning to depart Florida 4th June...

PM me with you email, phone number etc.

Sam.

TheFlyingScot
23rd Mar 2008, 13:35
I will be flying with a BA 777 captain with 15000 hrs
it was a his request that I asked for help with the crossing
We intend to make the trip in mid summer
thank you for your help :ok:

B2N2
23rd Mar 2008, 16:33
Personally...wouldn't dream of doing this trip in a SE...

http://news.scotsman.com/uk/Race-to-rescue-pilot-who.3805130.jp

http://www.equipped.org/92ditch.htm

http://egresstraining.com/category/safety-tips/

http://www.huygens.org/sape/pilotage/n267lm/

flyingfemme
23rd Mar 2008, 16:54
I will be flying with a BA 777 captain with 15000 hrs
it was a his request that I asked for help with the crossing

If his experience is irrelevant and he is bringing nothing to the party - ditch him! Replace his weight with avgas. Far more useful.

Flying Farmer
23rd Mar 2008, 17:03
The 777 Captain will know the way :ok:

whitehorse
23rd Mar 2008, 18:05
Hi FPDK

Cheap shot....you could have mentioned the other two that went down in the last month....but I guess you "included them under "not for the feint hearted.....

Not ment as a "cheap shot" just a fact . Sorry if the 2 that went down recently were friends of yours.

My background is 29 years of flying in Greenland on both RW and FW and was based in BGBW for a number of years. I have been involved in SARs involving ferry flights and have seen too many go missing. So my comment was more in the line of stating facts and trying to make the piont that the trip is not a "walk in the park". Appoligies if it offended you.

BS DMI..the Danish Met Office has excellent products, as do the Canadians. But you need to know what to ask for! That being said, the weather can change rapidly, the Low that has been sitting still suddenly rockets to the north, bringing headwinds, low vis and-or precip.....

Good advice. With my background I feel I am qualified to comment on DMI. Yes they are great at their jobs but even their crystal ball goes a little cloudy sometimes. My point is be carefull, TAFs can change very quickly and "aftercasts" (sorry AMDTAFs) are not unusual.

To TFS

The Met Officers based in BGSF are always very helpfull when you call them. For info - Met Office BGSF Tel. No. 00 299 84 10 22.:ok:

Good luck TFS, might see you in BGBW this summer.

WH