PDA

View Full Version : Finishing my PPL after a lapse

legallooptheloop
22nd Mar 2008, 13:35
Hello,

It's been two years since I last had a flying lesson due to life getting in the way, as I'm told is often the case. It's always bugged me that I didn't keep going and I really want to finish what I've started.

I'm currently sitting on 30-31 hours and was told that I had been good progress. Would anyone with the relevant experience be able to tell me how many more hours I'm likely to need to complete the PPL (obviously 45 is the minimum but I'd imagine most people need at least a few more than that)? The cost of the hours flown and exams taken is important but the time in which they can be completed is more so. I wouldn't have THAT long to do it all in if I was going to get it done and dusted in the available window, probably about 3 months or maybe a wee bit more.

Many thanks for any information or advice anyone can offer, I really want to finish this off at long last.

legallooptheloop.

Shunter
22nd Mar 2008, 14:26
Firstly I think you'll need to retake the exams. They only have a limited period of validity by which time if you haven't passed your skills test they lapse.

The flying depends on you really and how quickly you pick it all up again. I would have thought a few hours general handling and circuits and you should be reasonably upto speed again, hopefully ready to pick up where you left off.

millard64
22nd Mar 2008, 19:07
I too had a gap in my training mine was 6 years due to my chosen flying school going bump and taking my hard earned funds with them. I had completed 28.5 Hrs flying and completed 2 solo nav flights and like you I was told that I was making very good progress.

I had to retake my exams as they are only valid from 2 years after your last pass. You will probably not finish your flight training before this unless you can do an intensive refresher / completion course.

I took a further 40 Hrs to reach the required level attempt my skill test but then I was only flying at weekends due to work commitments. As stated earlier it all depends on how much you have retained since your forced break from learning to fly, but I can say this it is possible to do it and all the skills are still there albeit rusty. Another factor to consider is the cost has increased and what your budget was 2 years ago will not fund your training to completion at today’s school rates, but I suppose you have researched this already

So good look and welcome back to the world of General Aviation

hkeng
22nd Mar 2008, 21:37
Hi
I am trying to complete the PPL. I am not sure about the validity of the written exam. Lasor appeared to state that it lasts only 18 months, and last 2 years if on a training course. I had changed training school and flyng clubs, does my training considered as a course. Any comments welcome.

legallooptheloop
23rd Mar 2008, 16:16
Thanks for the replys girls and boys. Hopefully I'll get it finished before september.

Cheers.

homeguard
23rd Mar 2008, 16:39
hkeng

All the exams must be completed within an 18 month period. The 18 months commences from the date of the first PASSED exam. The 24 month period starts from the date of the LAST passed exam. Your PPL application must have arrived at the CAA, Gatwick within the 24 month period for the application to be valid

You do not necessarily lose all previous passes if more than 18 months have elapsed. If more than 18 months have elapsed without completing all the exams successfully then the oldest passes are struck off and need to be re-sat until all the exam dates fit within the 18 month period.

There is no requirement to complete your training at one particular school/club.