PDA

View Full Version : Visiting Newcastle

Kiltie
20th Mar 2008, 17:25
Chaps I intend to visit NCL for a night stop in a light single the weekend after next. How much can I expect to pay for landing, parking and handling?

Are there alternative strips nearby that are cheaper? I would need a taxi to the city.

Any local advice much appreciated.

DSAA
20th Mar 2008, 22:06
Not a clue about the parking and handling fees at NCL, but as for transport - the metro runs right up to the Airport and will take you all the way in to the city centre - it's about £4.00 return which might balance the cost of a cheaper airfield with an expensive taxi ride against the (probably) slightly more expensive NCL.

XL319
20th Mar 2008, 23:32
NCL charge approx 25 quid for SEP and 15 quid for handling per sortie and 10 quid for parking per night. Eshott may be an alternative but is approx 15/20 mile north of newcastle, or Peterlee which is about 20 mile south of Newcastle.

Durham charges about 13.50 landing, no handling and about 10quid parking per night

The Flying Stool
20th Mar 2008, 23:38
You could try the gliding airfield at Currock Hill which lies approximately 15 miles west of Newcastle, much closer that Eshott. Its a grass strip which is approximately 600m. The airfield is strictly PPR and a telephone briefing will need to be given. They should be able to accomodate you if you ask nicely though ;). PM me if you need any further details as i fly there.

clearfinalsno1
21st Mar 2008, 01:05
Welcome The Flying Stool

How about updating this page then?http://ukga.com/airfield/currock-hill

FullyFlapped
21st Mar 2008, 12:36
Last time I went in to Newcastle it cost (IIRC) £57 for about 4 hours parking, landing and handling (off a VFR approach). My 'plane is 1734kg MTOW so presumably the charges would be lower if you're flying something lighter.

Taxi to the city centre was about £25, I think, although I could be a bit out there).

XL319, where is "Durham" ? Do you mean Fishburn ?

The Flying Stool
21st Mar 2008, 15:46
Welcome The Flying Stool

How about updating this page then?http://ukga.com/airfield/currock-hill (http://ukga.com/airfield/currock-hill)

Clearfinalsno1- what needs updating in that page? Everything is current as far as I can see. The website for Northumbria Gliding Club is currently in the process of being updated however

BLEED-AIR
21st Mar 2008, 20:38
Not sure about fixed wing at Samson Aviation Newcastle but be WARNED that you arrive before 1800 Hrs otherwise the Fees esculate to £285.00 + VAT Handling (Min Charge Three Hours.) Landing Fee £28.00 + VAT and that is before Overnight Parking and Fuel is added. Quoted today for A109S. Thank God it was not a R22 otherwise I would have had to leave the machine and hitch home.:eek:
I believe they promote the concept if you fly then you can pay !!!!

Duchess_Driver
21st Mar 2008, 22:44
Always found the staff at Samson at EGNT very helpful. They'll sort out a courtesy ride to the main terminal or call a taxy for you.

Wouldn't have thought a taxi into the city is £25 beer vouchers. Grandma Duchess lives just down the road and when I visit a taxy home from the city centre, even at 2 in the morning, is only about £12-14.

Landing and overnighting for a 182 a couple of years back was about £60 -not that bad in the scheme of things.

HTH