PDA

View Full Version : Oban, Coll, Colonsay

stocker
18th Mar 2008, 13:37
All three are now great places to visit. Pick up your 4 for 2 landing voucher at Oban for £20 and head off and enjoy.In fact bag Tiree and Islay while your at it, they charge £15 a go but its worth it.

Try not to get caught up in the politics of Oban and just be thankfull that these three fields have been upgraded and are great places for the GA aircraft.

Great service all round from all who work at Oban always makes my visits a pleasure but dont expect anything at Coll or Colonsay as you will no doubt be the only person around.

I wonder if this thread can remain positive!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rod1
18th Mar 2008, 14:41
I am planning to fly up in the near future. Unfortunately Paul is no longer doing Mogas so I am arranging to refuel nearby.

Rod1

stocker
18th Mar 2008, 15:02
try and call the local flying club folks and see if they can help you out.
I dont have their details but I think they are in the back pages of Pooleys.

http://www.whitelaw.flyer.co.uk/flights.html

try this link

clearfinalsno1
18th Mar 2008, 15:07
Stocker

Can you recommend anywhere to eat close to these fields (Tiree/Islay)? It's depressing enough blowing £300 hirng a PA28 for Sunday lunch flyout trip, but even worse if it's just to land at a pretty but remote and abandoned airfield and then just fly back without getting out!

What about taxis or are there places within walking distance on the airfield? Kirkbride (albeit north Cumbria) is a good example of old airfield with cafe/restaurant on the field next to the apron ("The White Heather").

Cheers

stocker
18th Mar 2008, 15:16
We normally take food in the back but Oban will provide transport into town where there is a great restaraunt.
Tiree and Islay have very friendly folk on the end of the phone and would gladly help boost the local economy Im sure.
Im sorry not to be of more help but like I say we normally take supplies with us.

stocker
18th Mar 2008, 15:20
http://www.hial.co.uk/islay-airport.html try this link

and this one http://www.hial.co.uk/tiree-airport.html

Rod1
18th Mar 2008, 15:22
Islay had a very good eatery within walking distance, I assume it is still open?

Rod1

stocker
18th Mar 2008, 15:26
You could always ask when you go up into the tower to pay your fees. They could probably point to an eatery from their elevated position.

Scottishflyer182
18th Mar 2008, 17:27
Hi,

The golf club in Islay is very good for food. Too far to walk though at least 45mins each way. However a quick phone call and they'll pick you up and drop you back at the airfield. FOC.

I agree with keeping this thread positive, Oban is fantastic now and I look forward to visiting Coll and Tiree.

Scottishflyer

'India-Mike
18th Mar 2008, 20:34
clearfinalsno1

Instead of Tiree/Islay go midway and try the Colonsay Hotel (if your aeroplane can manage the 500m strip). A few years ago it was excellent, although it's since changed hands I believe.

Go and report back to us all!

(I know the original posters wanted the thread kept positive but the strip on Colonsay has such adverse camber at the eastern end that it caused the only near-groundloop I've suffered in over 200hr of tailwheel flying - won't stop me going back though:))

PS agree with Scottish182 - the Machrie hotel on Islay (the golf club) is pretty good too. Perhaps the best beefburger I've ever tasted - think they claim to use local produce.

fisbangwollop
18th Mar 2008, 21:54
Flew over Colonsay runway on Sunday, there appears to be a JCB parked next to the runway....anyone know what is happening.......hope someone not reclaiming that nice new tarmac!!!!

suraci
18th Mar 2008, 21:56
The "beef"burger I had at the Machrie was great - because it was made from venison!

helicopter-redeye
18th Mar 2008, 23:07
There's quite a nice cafe down the road to the left at Tiree (500m) above the beach. Watch out for the huge grey cat (or was it a stray panther??). Also ye shoppe that does good ice cream for afterwards.

Colonsay hotel is pretty much it on Colonsay - there is a bike hire place near the airfield (North side) or you can walk/ speed march. Also ye shoppe which will deliver given notice ... (thanks mike)

Eateries a bit thin on the ground at Coll ...

Islay, taxi to Port Ellen.

h-r:ooh:

flybymike
19th Mar 2008, 00:45
India Mike what exactly do you mean by Adverse camber at Colonsay? Are you saying that there is a slope in the runway alongits length, or that it slopes from side to side, or something else?

Oldpilot55
19th Mar 2008, 01:03
Don't forget Bute and Gigha, tarmac lovers!

'India-Mike
19th Mar 2008, 01:34
Adverse camber - standard phraseology. Does exactly what it says on the tin.

Imagine driving your car around a right hand bend with the road sloping to the left. Feels just like that

Rod1
19th Mar 2008, 07:55
Gigha is a great place to visit (although a little close to the limit in an AA5B with a cruse prop). When we arrived we were very careful to avoid flying over the village etc. We then walked to the hotel and got told off for not beating the place up!

Rod1

helicopter-redeye
19th Mar 2008, 08:10
There is a deregistered Piper G-IGHA.

Also on the Island, a Jeep Cherokee G11 GHA

Is there a boat too?

Crash one
19th Mar 2008, 14:11
Not been there yet but Mull has a Hotel on site & I believe serve Bambi burgers.

NorthSouth
19th Mar 2008, 21:42
At Tiree there's a good cafe attached to the cattle market/community centre (no that's not a criticism) just on the left as you come out of the airport access road

Colonsay Hotel's great. Phone them on 01951 200 316 and they'll come and collect you. Great bar, good dinner menu, very comfortable rooms.

Adverse camber? Come on! Light aircraft were going in and out of here when it was a string of rabbit holes held together by rushes and flattened into a strip by sheep ****. The only thing the new strip doesn't give you is that extra little sense of adventure...

NS

flybymike
20th Mar 2008, 00:34
Adverse camber and now a runway with a bend in it!?..:eek:

stocker
20th Mar 2008, 09:00
I landed at Colonsay on Monday. The jcb is doing what appears to be drainage work at the edge of the hardcore quite a few metres from the runway so the tar should be safe for a while at least.

Theres a lot of geese around, especially over on Coll so watch what your doing if you go back. Tiree and Islay can scoure the landscape for you with binoculars inbound and outbound which is handy.

There is also an Islander flying low level (250ft) in that area doing a bird survey but hes bright yellow and easier to spot than a flock of startled geese.

neutron
20th Mar 2008, 09:14
The earthworks at Colonsay are to improve 'sight lines' from the terminal building/apron area to the theshold of 29.

stocker
20th Mar 2008, 12:32
I never actually tried when I was there but does anyone know if there is access to the building to use toilet facilities at either Coll or Colonsay?

helicopter-redeye
20th Mar 2008, 12:37
The 'terminal' building was unlocked and unpersoned on Coll last summer.

h-r;)

Pudnucker
21st Mar 2008, 14:28
Had a couple of weeks up there last year... Gigha is great apart from only half the strip was mown and was a struggle to get out. I'd highly recommend Glenforsa - nice long mown strip (circa 800m) and the Glenforsa hotel is literally 30 paces from the a/c parking area. The hotel is run by Alison & Brendan Walsh (well known pilot bloke) who are great fun. Lots of flying stories as bar is usually full of people who've flown in. Good restaurant. Nice rooms. They'll even lend you a car to get round the island. Highly Recommended :) and will be back this year!

stocker
25th Mar 2008, 10:22
does anyone know if Jura is usable at the moment, my wife fancies a trip in when we do an overnight stop to Islay next week.

'India-Mike
25th Mar 2008, 12:26
stoker

Jura thread with pics over on the flyer forum at the mo'

fireflybob
25th Mar 2008, 12:57
Maybe you could even go and live there!

Colonsay (http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article3613735.ece)

stocker
25th Mar 2008, 13:19
As tempting as it seems I think I will stick to the mainland.........

Had a quick look at the flyer forum, will keep an eye on that one...