PDA

View Full Version : TV Channel dedicated to flying

SpeedbirdXK8
18th Mar 2008, 13:36
A little while ago some one ask whether there was a dedicated TV channel to flying.

This could be a long shot but if there is enough interest I might be tempted to propose the idea to a media company I know. I think Loop has tried or has a very basic version.

Your thougts/idea would be welcome.
:ok:

vabsie
18th Mar 2008, 15:02
Hi SpeedbirdXK8!

It was me who asked .. and since then have been watching clips on youtube and some other bits and pieces (loop).

You have my vote would love a channel like that.

S

Julian
18th Mar 2008, 16:21
There used to be one on Sky, "Discovery Wings", but got scrapped a while ago. They never said why but presumably not enough on the viewing figures, I would watch something along those lines if it made a comeback though.

J.

shortstripper
18th Mar 2008, 18:54
Discovery Wings was awful IMHO. If you liked endless programmes about American military helicopters, mighty aircraft carriers, blah blah! US firepower, blah blah! US superhero pilots blah blah! Then it was the channel for you! If you like interesting programmes about aviation you were better off with the history channel. It was bound to fail.

SS

Tony Hirst
18th Mar 2008, 19:53
Ironically, the most watchable aviation proggies that Disco put out were never shown on Wings but on Discovery Channel and Disco Home and Lesuire: A Plane Is Born, Heavy Metal, Flightline and Plane Crazy. Most repeated to destruction though.

poss
18th Mar 2008, 20:17
As shortstripper said Discovery Wings was around. They ran out of things to show though, they started to constantly repeat programs and it got so that they barely got any viewers. It's a shame as there are a lot of good aviation programs out there... mainly on dvd. :ugh:

42psi
18th Mar 2008, 20:50
If they can show "Swiss Railway Journeys" it surely must be possible to get a reasonable customer base/profile for aviation progs ??

kevmusic
19th Mar 2008, 14:46
Ironically, the most watchable aviation proggies that Disco put out were never shown on Wings but on Discovery Channel and Disco Home and Lesuire: A Plane Is Born, Heavy Metal, Flightline and Plane Crazy. Most repeated to destruction though.

Agree wholeheartedly with that, Tony. :ok::ok::ok:

imperialsam
19th Mar 2008, 14:55
If they can show "Swiss Railway Journeys" it surely must be possible to get a reasonable customer base/profile for aviation progs ??

I said exactly the same thing whilst watching it last night! Don't knock it though; it's surprisingly compelling viewing. Though last night's episodes were repeats of ones I'd seen before.. ;)

I know very little about this, but I recall reading a website some time ago that described the exact process you would go through to create your own channel on Sky (unfortunatey I can't find the link now). IIRC it wasn't prohibitively expensive for a small organisation to broadcast it's own content through the Astra satellite network, but that a listing in the EPG and the other managed services provided by Sky would cost quite a bit more. Presumably not an awful lot more though, if some of the more niche channels are anything to go by; Psychic TV anyone?

I think there would be a considerable market for a civil-focussed aviation channel (military flying is already fairly well covered by Discovery as mentioned above). Some flight tests, airfield reviews etc for GA and a smattering of the heavy metal commerical would probably tear me away from Swiss Railway Journeys for a while.

Slopey
19th Mar 2008, 15:11
The worst thing about Wings was that it repeated the same programme cycle every 3 hours, round and round. So if you came back to it later in the day, you'd very likely seen the programme earlier.

Towards the end, there was a substantial amount of programmes on it which were nothing to do with aviation - I remember watching a fair few "monster machine" type documentaries on Wings and as interesting as 100 ton diggers are, they hardly qualify as having wings.

SpeedbirdXK8
19th Mar 2008, 15:45
Interesting feedback so far, others viewing please contribute.

I am thinking along the lines of an internet based TV channel rather than via Sky etc. I am in touch with a internet TV channel but need more positive feedback to convince them to host. I am also thinking that the wider community contribute and/or make your own programe etc if given the equipment. Cover local airshow events, fly-ins and the like.

Evanelpus
19th Mar 2008, 16:56

Yes but Swiss railway Journeys isn't a channel is it, or is it, I don't think it is?

Discovery Wings was fine for about a month then it got very repetative. It made a household name of Brendan O'Brien but then again JIF is a household name in the UK. There were a few gems in the schedule but as everyone has said already, it was a mish mash of repeats.

imperialsam
19th Mar 2008, 17:28
Yes but Swiss railway Journeys isn't a channel is it, or is it, I don't think it is?

It's on the Travel 2 channel but is pretty much continuous on Tuesdays, starting at 11am and ending in the early hours of Wednesday morning, with no other programmes between.

Perhaps an aviation TV channel could broadcast at evenings/weekends only to reduce the costs when fewer people are likely to be watching?

Speedbird - would your plans for an internet TV format be a continuous line-up of shows, i.e. you have to log in at the right time to catch the show you're interested in? Or more like video on demand as per the Loop TV website? Or perhaps both?

EI-ROC
19th Mar 2008, 17:57
I'd certainly be interested in seeing a channel like Discovery Wings (be it on TV or PC), but done properly.

Wings was great for the first couple of months, but as others have said, after that it turned to the same few military programmes that I had no interest in to begin with.

Personally I'd like to see a mixture of civil/general aviation.

'Sky Truckers' meets 'A Plane is Born'.

'Sky Truckers' was shown to a death on the Discovery Channel many years ago, it was a doc following a CargoLion crew as they carried out their day-to-day duties.

Another great one, aired to a death on National Geographic a few years ago, was the documentary about ATC in New York City, featuring LGA, JFK and EWR. They screened it about 10 times a week at the time, but sadly it hasn't been shown again for many years. Or at least I haven't seen it on.

poss
19th Mar 2008, 18:52
Perhaps instead of spreading all these programs, air crash investigation, plane is born etc over many channels a dedicated channel could be set up. There is a lot to do with aviation that programs could be made for. I guess tv providers just don't see much revenue in such a channel.

Asrian
19th Mar 2008, 21:58
We have sailing channels and astroloy channels in our cable network, so why not have a channel dedicated to aviation? Airlines and travel agencies could place ads there...and flight schools of course.

Ken Wells
19th Mar 2008, 23:28
find the funding and i'll be happy to help!

Major Major
19th Mar 2008, 23:50
Hmm,

Ok, firstly, I'd watch it. And I agree with most of the comments above.

Secondly, I'd be willing to contribute. I have some decent video and editing kit. And I've done a bit to a good standard, though not professionally.

Thirdly, I have some contacts at the BBC I can tap up for production advice and presentation skills.

IMHO, launching on the internet is a good place to start (and I can help there too) because it has limited start up costs and you can cut your teeth with limited risk.

However, the 'production company' responsible for the internet channel might also be able to get programmes onto local cable channels (mine is Channel M, in Manchester).

From there you could spring to the main channels, EPGs and so on, perhaps carrying some sort of revenue generating capability.

Anyway, my two penneth; If this is a serious proposition, get ideas on this thread, then do a real life meet with those who can really contribute and thrash out a plan.

Cheers
MM

EI-ROC
20th Mar 2008, 00:06
I should add that I'm also willing to contribute in whatever way possible, though my location (western Ireland) may rule that out. I have a degree in TV Production, and would probably be able to round up a few people who would be more than willing to help out.

Keep us informed! :)

SpeedbirdXK8
20th Mar 2008, 07:36
Keep it up, this really is good stuff but not unsurprising. Airshows are the second largest specator (sic) sport after football.

I am going to pass on all comments to the internet TV company I have in mind to ask about costs, on demand, programe making etc. I think it be great to have a mixture of programes along the lines of a plane is born, local airfield news, local shows, specials (maybe following the progress of someone taking the PPL course (A) and (H) and (M) etc. If anyone has programe making material then that would be great. A few people lcoated in the four corners of the country. A community based series such as click on your region.

:D

Saab Dastard
20th Mar 2008, 09:42
Anything related to aviation (almost) is of interest to me - from Polly Vacher's trips to restoring historic aircraft. You could even make a program about getting the Vulcan back flying!

I remember seeing several 1-hour progs, each one about a specific historic aircraft. Mainly WW2 focused, but not exclusively. I would be interested in that kind of thing, plus other programs about aviation history - both civil and military - and technical development history.

Possibly some interest in airports and airfields as well (history, development, present and future)? Just look at the "Which Aerodrome" thread on the Aviation History forum! ;)

SD

SpeedbirdXK8
20th Mar 2008, 10:42
Keep it coming:D

I have arranged a meeting with the Internet TV company and by sounds of things they are interested. I will report back so watch this space.

In the meantime, please more of your comments..

Major Major
20th Mar 2008, 13:43
Brilliant. Sky News style 'Breaking News', scrolling across the bottom of the screen:
"Weather slightly damp, Barton closed."

Cut to poor bloke on windswept grass:
"I can confirm that it's very wet indeed and nothing is happening today. Back to the studio".

I do really like the idea though.

Major Major
20th Mar 2008, 16:06
Hey, we could stream METARS and TAFS across the bottom of the screen like Bloomberg!

(But not NOTAMs, they're boring).

I think I need to do more work. Clearly my brain has knocked off for the weekend.

Ken Wells
21st Mar 2008, 20:46
We could show the cost of CAA charges clicking away increasing along with BAA costs against their increased profit. Again ala Bloomberg

SpeedbirdXK8
25th Mar 2008, 11:28
:D This is all interesting stuff. Over 900 visits but only 20 odd comments - don't be shy. For this thread no idea is a bad idea. The more positive response I can take with me to my meeting next week the better the chances of the getting the guys on side. The main problem will be cost so any ideas on that front? Raising revenue, do we charge a sub? Plus a couple of people said they have broadcasting equipment and/or experience, can you expand more?

IO540
25th Mar 2008, 11:58
This was done before; a programme called the Air Show, about 15 years ago I think.

They did some airline stuff, some GA stuff, and a not unattractive female reporter was shown doing her PPL, with her being so totally terrified that on her first solo the instructor had to be in touch with her with a handheld radio. Not a good advert for flying lessons, I thought. Peter de Cadenet was one of the reporters; he once did a review of what I think was a Commander 114 or 115 but from his reporting it wasn't obvious whether he had a PPL.

There was a thread on here a year or two ago concerning a possible sitcom based around a flying school. There is a rich vein of material to tap - all the sexual innuendos with flap levers, the instructor leaning over the female student (in a short skirt) to operate the fuel cock (in a PA28, this was described to me by one instructor as a major fringe benefit of the job; the said man vanished not long afterwards never to be seen again) etc. But again, it would not help the flight training business, without which GA in the UK would be consigned to the farm strip scene and virtual oblivion.

On serious topics, the GA scene has barely changed since the Air Show was on. There are some composite planes around now in prominence (DA40/42) which looks pretty flash and there is a lot of activity on the sports/ultralight front but one cannot get into that unless one has done a PPL first.

Might be worth digging up whoever was in charge of the Air Show to get some pointers.

deice
25th Mar 2008, 12:16
You should make this a euro-wide or even global thingy. Why not add adventures to the list. People fly all over the place for the fun of it, our club arranges a summer trip every year to some exotic (for us) place in europe.
I'm sure you could do any number of programs about flight training, aircraft reviews, working in the industry, playing around with homebuilts etc. I'd like to see some scenes from the Maldives and their air taxi operations for example. What about a flying expedition in OZ, africa, South America, Scandinavia, Russia etc.
All the airshows from PFA rallys to Dubai International and don't forget a special from Oshkosh each year.

There should be no limit really...
I'd love to contribute from the north, just get something rolling and I'm sure there will be programs available to air. Internet is great because there aren't any borders to cross - satellite is limited to those that have the connection...

Great clip with the spit - he must have needed laundry after that encounter.

IO540
25th Mar 2008, 13:54
I think there would be mileage in covering serious going-places flying. I am sure that a lot of people who embark on a PPL do have at least a vague intention of using it for something tangible or perhaps adventurous, and not just a local bimble which, let's face it, most get fed up with pretty fast.

Correctly structured, such a programme could be a good advert for GA, and GA needs all the PR it can get!

youngskywalker
25th Mar 2008, 14:16
As long as it is not hosted by Brendan O'Brian... "Hi, my names Brendan O'Brian and i'm a Pilot!"

That is sure to put people off.

kevmusic
25th Mar 2008, 15:47
I like Brendan O'Brien. Presenters with big egos make good front men - 'Top Gear' being a case in point. Come to think of it, O'Brien could pen a piece for one of the tabloids along the lines how boring it is to drive cars! :p

isi3000
27th Mar 2008, 13:00
We'll have to stick with 'Airport' and 'Airline' for now :}

SpeedbirdXK8
2nd Apr 2008, 16:44
Had my meeting today with TV internet hosting people and they are fully onside and things will move forward subject to costs etc which need to be looked at properly. Discussed input etc and they viewed your messages so thanks.:ok: Keep up the comments please and am interested in the private flying video thread. :D

Leeds1972
2nd Apr 2008, 20:47
:ok:Def get my vote
As for ideas, be good to see someone taking the ppl and maybe ATPL. Programmes on ground school exams with lessons from experienced pilots and maybe in association with one of the major schools ie Oxford, cranfield etc, also programmes on aircraft maintainence, aircraft history and even a you've been framed on aviation, the amount of footage on you tube is huge.

Im sick of looking at the TV guide to find the only programmes on avaiation to be Airport and Air crash investigation (although v good)

As previous post said the problem with the old wings channel that it focused on American war planes and the guns they carried!!:hmm:

Love to see this happen, good luck:D

SpeedbirdXK8
3rd Apr 2008, 09:05
Thanks Leeds and also my thoughts. A great deal of input will come from the flying public which is why everyones comments are important. What has been interesting over the past few days is the amount of people asking for sensible comment about the tragic events on Sunday - the proposed channel would have such content and not rely on so called experts.

BRL
3rd Apr 2008, 09:43
I had a look at making a DVD about PPL training some time ago. (proceeds to the pprune fund)

I had the presenters lined up from here and a draft idea of the script, loads of ideas how to make the film, from hour one right to the finish. A school at Shoreham had even agreed we could use there as a base.

It wasn't following a ppl but it was the lessons and ground/classwork that were focussed on. We had everything sussed. Everyone involved had volunteered.

It all seemed a great idea until I asked around about the cost. Eye wateringly expensive.

If you can get your own production crew on your side on the cheap then I think you may be on to a winner but the cost of everything to do with filming is expensive.

There is so much to cover in general but you need equipment to do it with and also the post production, studio facilities etc etc. It is a big ask but if you have more money then you can throw a stick at then you might just do it!

If you want anymore info drop us a PM. :)

malcolmf
3rd Apr 2008, 09:48
How about a "Stuff" programme? There are so many developments in electronics for GA aircraft...

whitehorse
3rd Apr 2008, 09:58
Perhaps it could be used to make the case against the K.Lacey´s of this world, see "Anti Airfield letter in todays Daily Mail" on this site! A film of the gardening would be good, but I guess it would have to be after the magic water shed hour!:E

Reports of other problems with authorities eg runway extension at EGMD etc etc.:ok:

Gardeners get their own WX forecast why not us with proper wx charts, and items of interest, even instruction on different aspects of weather. It might help upgrade the present wx on TV and begin to educate Jo Public.
Kaddy on SE TV would be my vote for a presenter;)

To go further, perhaps Open University type programms on PPL, ATPL, Radio Proc. subjects etc etc the list could be endless. Sorry I can see that the Moderator has already suggested a similar idea.

Classic old aviation films.

WH

tmmdx
9th Apr 2008, 12:04
Thumbs Up !!

Supersport
9th Apr 2008, 13:38
Just a thought with regards to programme production and stuff. You could possibly get local Colleges / Universities media studies departments and such like involved in some sort of a collaboration. The way I see it is you could be able to keep initial costs down especially with regards to production, it could help the students with there course (maybe?) and it would be a good way of spreading GA amongst the younger generations....

Just a thought... :)

felixflyer
9th Apr 2008, 19:16
How about a fly on the wall documentary series following the goings on at an FTO. One with modular students as well for a bit of variety. Im sure the FTO would be interested in the advertising they would gain.

Maybe even a celebrity PPL series following some z list celebs getting their wings.

Hugh Mann-Facteur
10th Apr 2008, 17:03
There are a lot of good aviation programs out there... mainly on dvd. Poss is right. But this would be a great source of free material: feature content from the DVD, then give out details of how get a copy for yourself at the end. The website could contain tie-in ads to help spur sales for the DVD producers, for a fee. Print journalism does it all the time.

captainyonder
12th Apr 2008, 11:12
Funnily enough I have been involved in setting up an online aviation channel since December 2006 and I've recently been handed control of the project. If anyone is interested in getting involved please just drop me a PM.

At the moment we are focused more towards the commercial aviation sector, but we'd like to cover all aspects. We're currently looking at a September launch date and we're looking to get as many faces as possible involved so that we can represent the aviation community as a whole.

We're currently following the progress of an ATPL student (he's just got his first job which makes the story even more compelling) and we're hoping to launch with that program, alongside a few documentaries focusing on UK airports and airlines.

When I took over the project it was just bare bones so I've rebranded it and now I'm trying to take it in a viable direction. Once again, I'd love to hear from anyone interested in getting involved.

blue monday
12th Apr 2008, 11:42
There has to be a mix of Aircraft for sure. Especially a good dose military hardware stuff too, when you go an Airshow what do the majority of people like - noisy low flying fast jets. I have also found a lack of on board flightdeck (mul, civ and GA) footage of approaches to airfields so would be nice too see more of that.

Lost_ethics
12th Apr 2008, 13:03
How about an ‘Airport’ type series? (They seem somewhat popular with the general public and the anoraks.) You could follow the operations at a smaller airport that has commercial, General and freight operations. Or a few ‘A day in the life of…’ programmes, following some restoration projects or the preparation for some of the big air shows, a bit of a build up to them showing what’s involved.

Oh, and you’ll need to have a presenter with a big watch. Nothing says “I’m a pilot” like a big watch. :oh:

Lost_Ethics (Secret anorak)