PDA

View Full Version : Best training tips and advice

The African Dude
18th Mar 2008, 11:51
Hi folks,

What are the most useful or memorable tips or words of advice you would give to somebody about to start full-time training for a fATPL? I'm interested in anything; technical, anecdotal or otherwise.

Thanks in advance,
Andy

SinBin
18th Mar 2008, 12:00
Don't go on Pprune!

Mercenary Pilot
18th Mar 2008, 12:02
Work hard, don't let the schools treat you like a mug (YOU are the customer), never think that you know it all and go for the best training you can afford not the cheapest. :ok:

saccade
18th Mar 2008, 13:27
What are the most useful or memorable tips or words of advice you would give to somebody about to start full-time training for a fATPL?

Not a very positive advise, but read everything about peak oil you can find. Make your opinion whether this is just some sort of conspiracy theory, or whether it is for real. Based on recent warnings by Shell, Exxon mobile, EIA etc. I think it is for real. Within a few years oil production will be in decline, and this will have a massive impact on oil prices. On this moment the price of oil is $108, while there is still (at the moment) enough oil in the market. The effect of $108 oil on Skybus:

Skybus to cut flights, slow expansion Airline cites rising fuel costs but plans to add some flights

http://www.ohio.com/news/top_stories/16668941.html

The African Dude
18th Mar 2008, 13:55
Thanks Saccade, but can we keep the advice to that relevant for those who are already committed to their training, please.

saccade
18th Mar 2008, 14:05
Didn't know you were committed already, but in that case, good luck!

Leezyjet
18th Mar 2008, 22:19
Always remember that the Control yoke does NOT steer the a/c on the ground !!!.

I'm sure just about every PPL student has tried to at some point !!! :eek:

Try to avoid using ms Flight Sim unless you are doing instrument flying. Many PPL instructors will tell you that anoyone who plays MSFS alot will fly with their head down looking at the instruments, rather than looking OUTSIDE where you should be looking at PPL stage. This means that people have to be re-trained not to do this, where as those who don't use it, just look outside straight away. It's a handy little tool to get used to reading the instruments, and also for instrument training practice, but for VFR PPL flying it is rubbish.

:ok:

Wee Weasley Welshman
19th Mar 2008, 08:51
Be incredibly nice to everyone you encounter at every stage of flying training. Its a small industry and you'll be amazed at who knows who and where you'll meet them again in your future career.

For example. My PPL flying instructor from when I was a spotty 17yr old is now my Chief Training Captain.

Good luck,

skyhigher
19th Mar 2008, 16:12
here's my 2 cents.

never pay up front.
enjoy the flying while its still just fun, especially hour building.
be adventurous, but not stupid.
its all worth it.

best of luck:D

tom_ace
19th Mar 2008, 20:30
make sure your cheque book is always close at hand!

The African Dude
20th Mar 2008, 11:58
Some good stuff, and on behalf of all those who will use it thanks for all the input so far, and keep it coming! :D

shy_one
20th Mar 2008, 13:18
1: Fly with your fingers and not with your fists

2: Make love to the air, don't sh*g it.

shy_one

MAUMAU
21st Mar 2008, 16:17
First and foremost, Congratulations on your commitment!

Although there are many up's and down's in the Flying industry, you will find this in every profession worldwide, so try to keep a long view to your hope's and dream's.

I think having, and keeping, a positive attitude will be your most valuable asset. It will help you work better with others, and in the Flying world, this means everything. Whether it is during a Type rating evaluation or sitting next to your fellow pilot for twelve hours, keeping your thoughts positive will really make a huge difference.

I wish you the best of luck! :ok:

The African Dude
11th May 2008, 05:21
Thanks for the input folks. Just wanted to bring this back up as i'm still interested in any more words of wisdom you would like to share. :)

jb2_86_uk
11th May 2008, 07:26
...there are many up's and down's in the Flying industry...

no pun intended??? lol!

No advice to give TAD, I am in a similar situation as yourself - just absorbing everything i read like a sponge!

JB