PDA

View Full Version : Soloflight at Humberside

athonite
17th Mar 2008, 21:53
I am thinking of doing a FAA IR at soloflight Humberside,I would be grateful for coments from students and ex instructors if this is a good FTO and good value for money?

XX621
18th Mar 2008, 07:44
I did my PPL there in '96. It was run then by Glen & Mel Stewart; I think Mel is still running things there now.

I had a great time and have no complaints whatsoever, very professional yet with a relaxed and enjoyable atmosphere. Standard of instruction was very high, was often invited to sit in the back of Multi/IR trips to learn a thing of it (which they didn't have to do obviously...but that was the spirit of the place).

I still to this day regularly remember Glen's words of wisdom in my headset. He is sorely missed by all those who knew him.

md 600 driver
18th Mar 2008, 08:01
i did my faa/h instrument ratim there great place

niknak
20th Mar 2008, 11:36
Soloflight are as good as anyone and they're certainly worth a try, although it's worth shopping around, there is another outfit at HUY who do IR's - The Humber Flying Club 01652 688746 www.humberflyingclub.co.uk, they have a very high success rate and do exactly what it says on the tin.
Good luck.:ok:

Shunter
20th Mar 2008, 12:44
I'm planning on using SoloFlight for some FAA IR stuff in the near future. I've heard some very positive reports of them.

XX621
20th Mar 2008, 13:21
I did my UAS->PPL conversion with Glen & crew in 1996. I have never met niknak but from my perspective his comments about Glen are 100% spot on. I had a great time at Soloflight and learnt much more about flying than I was required to in order to get a PPL.

Scottishflyer182
20th Mar 2008, 22:36
I'm also planning to do my FAA IR.

I would also be grateful to hear from any past students.

Thanks

XX621
21st Mar 2008, 07:27
I flew with GS many times and (unlike other instructors at other FTO's I have flown with since) there wasn't even a hint of dangerous flying/rule breaking with GS in the RHS.

BRL
21st Mar 2008, 08:43
Just done a bit of tidying up guys. Please keep this thread right on track and no more links to accidents or comments to the likes of. :)

BRL
21st Mar 2008, 10:51
Sorry mate, your first post here was deleted by mistake :O

I have edited your recent post to take out any reference to Zorst...

FAAjon
21st Mar 2008, 11:29
I've receently bee doing soem flying with the POM flying group, why not try them.

Bahn-Jeaux
22nd Mar 2008, 14:31
Do the POM group do FAA work?, nothing to that effect on their website.

AdamC
22nd Mar 2008, 22:26
I'm doing my PPL with Soloflight, granted I only have 2 hours logged but so far so good! :D - My instructor is Stuart, good chap and his level of instruction is a lot more than I expected!

I don't have any negatives about the place or people.