PDA

View Full Version : Where Eagles Share - comments?

Squeegee Longtail
17th Mar 2008, 20:04
Hi all,
Does anyone have any dealings with Area 51's Where Eagles Share syndicate for Jet Provosts at North Weald?

I am thinking of joining up but would appreciate any comments beforehand.

18greens
17th Mar 2008, 21:42
If you can then do it. You'll have great fun and its a super stepping stone for the Hunter. Go for it before some nimby wet pants gets them all grounded because they make a noise.

Unusual Attitude
17th Mar 2008, 22:55
Would agree, JP is not the fastest thing out there but great fun and well within the capabilities of most PPL's.

Do it while you can cause the insurance limitations seem to be getting more onerous each year!

Regards

UA

D SQDRN 97th IOTC
18th Mar 2008, 07:26
you should ask Eagles how long they intend to hold onto their JPs for.

I heard.....that they were going to sell (are there any buyers out there right now?) their JPs, and buy some Yak 52s instead.

There are other JP groups on the airfield - you might like to speak with swordsaviation.

A few things for you to be aware of:
1. current price of Avtur is likely to double in November, so instead of a sortie in a JP5 costing you £350 quid, it'll cost you £700 quid. Once the excise duty kicks in, some JP operators may stop flying altogether, so whatever investment you have made in buying a share will be down the drain. I personally now wouldn't offer more than £2000 for any 1/20 share in a well maintained JP.
2. be aware of the MPD regarding g limits. It's not going to go away in a hurry if a certain chap in SRG continues to have his blinkered way at the CAA.

Unless you don't mind paying £700 quid a sortie in fuel alone, plus other sortie costs and a monthly outlay on top too to pay for the annual and other maintenance, then you need to make sure that whatever group you join now is still going to be operational next year.

PM me if you want more details. I fly a JP.