PDA

View Full Version : Bede BD-5 at Cumbernauld?

Unusual Attitude
16th Mar 2008, 23:27
Anyone know anything about this aircraft?

Was into Cumbernauld today dropping off a pax and noticed this being wheeled out of a hanger just off the Apha turnoff? Didnt get a right look as I was in a rush but am 99% sure it was a Bede BD-5 in yellow.

I thought these were banned from flying in the UK ?? Would love to get my hands on one if it was up for grabs? Have heard rumours there are one or two flying on the S. Irish reg now so perhaps that might explain it?

On another note, was in past Oban yesterday (not been for a while) and even given all the troubles was still given an extremely warm welcome by the very helpful and friendly staff. Tis indeed a cracking terminal building they have and the runway is like a bowling green, slight overkill given the lack of activity however!

Regards

UA

Newforest2
17th Mar 2008, 08:36
Here is a photo of the all-yellow EI-DNO. If they are not allowed to fly in the U.K. how can they allow a foreign registered aircraft to operate? Rather defeats the legislative object in the first place.

http://flyinginireland.com/eireg.php?Registration=EI-DNO

Genghis the Engineer
17th Mar 2008, 09:44
A non UK registered sub-ICAO aircraft can only operate in UK airspace for 1 month per year as part of the ECAC (European Civil Aviation Conference) agreement on homebuilts. Beyond that it would need specific UK CAA permission which, given their own ban (which I understand was based upon an understanding that about 50% of all BD5s built have had a fatal accident), seems unlikely.

G

wsmempson
17th Mar 2008, 10:07
I seem to remember there was a feature on a Bede BD-5, which was based in Australia and had reportedly had many of the initial besign faults ironed out, that came out in Pilot or Flyer last year.

Shortly after appearing in the Magazine, the aircraft was allegedly comprehensively crashed - which unfortunately went some way to reinforcing the truth of the CAA's prejudice against the venerable Bede.

Pretty looking thing, though, that went like a rocket by all accounts.