PDA

View Full Version : Unable to sign-in to AOL

Lost_luggage34
16th Mar 2008, 16:25
Staying with a friend at present who has 2 PCs connected to AOL Broadband via a Netgear DG834GT wireless router.

Since Saturday morning both PCs are unable to sign-in to AOL. Error message Error: AC-3000 0x84100116 The computer could not get an internet connection.

Nothing has changed on the wireless setup. 1 PC runs AOL version 9.0 on Windows 2000, the other is VISTA with the AOL 9.0 VR software.

Both exhibit the same error. AOL state that there are no problems. Yet the Internet works fine on both PCs in a standalone browser.

I see the connection request from each PC passing through the firewall OK, therefore I don't believe it is a firewall issue - confirmed by disabling the firewall and obtaining the same result.

Any thoughts or suggestions ?

Lost_luggage34
16th Mar 2008, 16:53
Problem identified - AOL have finally admitted that as part of their network migration to Carphone Warehouse, they have screwed up.

They confirm that the exchange the router is connected to has a problem and it will be resolved within the next 24-48 hours.

If only they had told me that yesterday. 28 reboots and several AOL reinstallations later .... Grrrrrr :*

Saab Dastard
16th Mar 2008, 17:07
This just further confirms the already abysmal reputation that AOL has.

SD

Lost_luggage34
16th Mar 2008, 17:20
Indeed SD.

Keep trying to persuade my friend to ditch them or at least use a different front end other than the dreadful AOL software. Ho hum.

frostbite
16th Mar 2008, 17:49
Talktalk has been pretty good for me for the last four months - I do hope I'm not going to see the 'AOL effect'.

matt_hooks
16th Mar 2008, 18:06
Why would you want to use the AOL browser anyway? The only thing that it (putatively) achieves is a speed increase by compressing the data at their end before sending it down the pipe to you.

However, with modern web pages the speed gain is minimal. Text is fairly incompressible, and modern JPegs don't have much squish room either.

Bin the AOL software (which I've found to be buggy and insecure anyway) and just use another browser, Firefox or Opera are pretty good and less resource hungry than I.E.