PDA

View Full Version : Non transponder a/c in CAS.

magpienja
15th Mar 2008, 21:09
Hi all what is the current position with a GA aircraft requesting a CTR class D zone transit not equipped with a transponder, I seem to remember reading that things change this month.

Nick.

AlanM
16th Mar 2008, 00:31
Really, what are the changes then?:ugh:

magpienja
16th Mar 2008, 09:08
Well that's what I am asking, as I said I seem to remember that maybe it will not be allowed but maybe I am mistaken, its not something I have had to think about before never needing to enter CAS but possibly may need to request it in the near future for a flight I am thinking of doing.

Nick.

loubylou
17th Mar 2008, 11:13
To be honest - I wouldn't be very keen on clearing traffic through my airspace unless it can squawk anyway - whatever the rules say! :E

louby

NorthSouth
17th Mar 2008, 18:07
If you want an IFR clearance through a Class D zone you already have to have a transponder. The difference from 31-3-08 is that your transponder must be Mode S. But if you have a Mode A/C transponder you can apply for an exemption from the Mode S requirement from the CAA.

If you only want a VFR clearance through a Class D zone there is no imminent change in the requirements, although there is a CAA proposal out to consultation which would require all aircraft in CAS (irrespective of flight rules) to have a Mode S transponder from 31-3-09, with a transition period to 31-3-12.

NS

magpienja
17th Mar 2008, 19:07
NorthSouth thats what I was after but I could not remember the details,

Many thanks.

Nick.

Radarspod
17th Mar 2008, 21:33
NorthSouth,

You shouldn't need an exemption for using Mode A/C only transponder after 31/03/08, it is an acceptable means of compliance for aircraft already fitted until 2012. New aircraft and new installations must be Mode S.

Julian Hensey
20th Mar 2008, 10:38
This is a major scare for the hot air balloon community. It is both technically impossible (Mode S tiny transponders are not in existence yet as far as my research finds) and not wanted by the majority of ATCOs (from what we hear in pub chat), but it seems to be on the CAA "to do list".

Since most balloons that do fly in controlled airspace have specific access agreements with their regional airports, then the sledgehammer approach by the authorities seems entirely out of proportion.

The British Gliding Association have invited all pilots from different air sports to meetings with the CAA in April to put forward the case.

Roffa
20th Mar 2008, 12:27
Balloons operating out of the LHR and City Zones are required to have r/t and transponders and they seem to manage okay.

If they can currently power those can they not also power a Mode S txpdr instead of an A/C one?

As an aside, where I work I don't mind if traffic is using Mode A/C or Mode S but I do support a mandatory altitude reporting txpdr for all.

2.5 miles
21st Mar 2008, 09:54
Mode S, fantastic on jets, we can tell if they are cheating on speed compliance plus added safety net of checking levels/altitudes selected. Can't believe that controllers wouldn't want it. Same info from a balloon? Not quite as useful to a controller tho:). A/C is useful wherever

NorthSouth
21st Mar 2008, 13:01
Radarspod:You shouldn't need an exemption for using Mode A/C only transponder after 31/03/08, it is an acceptable means of compliance for aircraft already fitted until 2012So what's this (http://www.caa.co.uk/application.aspx?catid=33&pagetype=65&appid=11&mode=detail&id=3038) for then?
NS

Radarspod
25th Mar 2008, 12:35
I stand corrected :O, much to my annoyance :E